Backyard Fishing during COVID - July 15, 2021

Fishingwazza2019

Been a while since writing a report .. Like most , usual offshore fishing has slowed due to COVID.

Living on the Central Coast and lucky to have water at the backyard, I've previously tried a few times fishing without much success.

Last Thursday, I decided to have a break in the sun by the water at around 3pm, so yes also grabbed the rod and some bait, but not expecting much.

Tide was full and about to turn, with no wind. 

Bait consisted of frozen Flathead guts from the freezer which was going to be for making up some berley .. nothing special. Also grabbed some remains of cooked mud crab just to clean out the freezer.

After thawing the bait and throwing in the mud crab remains, rigged up with some fish roe, cast in, and just placed rod with bail open, whilst I sat down.

Took 5-10 minutes for the line to take off, and in came a nice bream (approx 40cm). Biggest bream Id seen for some time.

After removing the hook (still with bait in tact), another cast with same bait, and to my surprise, before I could sit,  the line went and a bream of similar size was brought in. 

What can I say ... Looks like going forward I have to keep the berley a regular activity, and throw in a line at the right time 🙂 

Everyone stay safe in these challenging time ... 

1737474527_CVSB73961.thumb.JPG.a8a6cd2ff17cdbca29993460c91f17b1.JPG

• Like 17

Top stuff Wazza. You’re very fortunate to have a fishy playground as your back yard and we’re fortunate you shared your fishy story with us. Nothing like a story like that to keep the passion alive. 
Thanks buddy and tight lines. 
How did you cook them?

cheers Zoran 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Top stuff Wazza. You’re very fortunate to have a fishy playground as your back yard and we’re fortunate you shared your fishy story with us. Nothing like a story like that to keep the passion alive. 
Thanks buddy and tight lines. 
How did you cook them?

cheers Zoran 

Hi Z ... 

Haven't cooked yet. Tonight ill have fillets and wings. Was planning to BBQ, but too windy, so will do on stove just with some lemon and garlic .. 

The second fish I left whole to bake another night .. 

Have a good weekend .. dont get blown away  🙂 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fishingwazza2019 said:

Hi

Thanks  .. I just used Flathead guts .. actually just the roe ... cheers

WOW, never heard of catching bream on flattie guts. Chicken guts but not flathead! 

Nice fish.

With bream in an area like yours, just keep up a constant trail of burley (every 3 or 4 days) and the fish will be hanging about.

Many years ago, the old timers (older than me  😂) in situations like yours would throw a skinned rabbit into the shallow water. (wrap the rabbit in chicken wire and tie it to the shore line to prevent the fish from dragging it away) and the bream would turn up from miles away.

Crab and prawn shells also rate as great burley in place of the rabbit. Sometimes a cooked prawn head (with the shell removed) is a great bream bait.

TIP - don't let anyone see you burleying, they will be hanging around that area like a bad smell. :074:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 7:56 PM, Yowie said:

Nice fish.

With bream in an area like yours, just keep up a constant trail of burley (every 3 or 4 days) and the fish will be hanging about.

Many years ago, the old timers (older than me  😂) in situations like yours would throw a skinned rabbit into the shallow water. (wrap the rabbit in chicken wire and tie it to the shore line to prevent the fish from dragging it away) and the bream would turn up from miles away.

Crab and prawn shells also rate as great burley in place of the rabbit. Sometimes a cooked prawn head (with the shell removed) is a great bream bait.

TIP - don't let anyone see you burleying, they will be hanging around that area like a bad smell. :074:

Thanks ... dont know if there are any rabbits around, will have to keep an eye out 🙂 ... In mean time will stick to the current burley ... and see how we go .. cheers 

On 7/17/2021 at 5:11 PM, BigHorse said:

WOW, never heard of catching bream on flattie guts. Chicken guts but not flathead! 

You and me both .. but just grabbed some from bait freezer that was to be used for burley .. and using fish roe .. go figure 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Wazza, another Wazza here and I did live in Horsefield Bay about 20 years ago and am now in Narara. Nice location. Some great bream, flatties and crabs in that area with your own little boat ramp to boot. Hope you get heaps more this lockdown. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 9:40 AM, Scienceman said:

Hey Wazza, another Wazza here and I did live in Horsefield Bay about 20 years ago and am now in Narara. Nice location. Some great bream, flatties and crabs in that area with your own little boat ramp to boot. Hope you get heaps more this lockdown. 

Hi Wazza ... Well haven't seen much caught .. may have changed in 20yrs 🙂 ..  I was surprised to get the bream.. Nothing caught since, but crab season is coming, so will see how that goes ..