Lake Macquarie deep water Duskies

Spent the morning fishing a wreck on the western side of Lake Macquarie today.

Fished the early low tide change and managed a handful of nice dusky flathead in an hour.

water was 15 degrees and when the water drops to those kinds of temperatures  the flathead move to deeper water and hang around wrecks and reefs making them (in my opinion) much easier to find and catch than during the summer months.

use a 3/8 ounce jig head with a 3/0 to 5/0 hook and any 4 to 5 inch paddle tail plastic. Work the lures with short hops along the bottom around the wreck/reef and you should come up tight to a few. A tide change early is prime but isn’t necessary as I have caught good fish on all stages of the tide. 

if you spend time sounding around the lake it won’t take you long to find a few wrecks but I’ll put a secret out there… there’s an old RAAF base on the shores of the lake and years ago they discarded some unwanted machinery by chucking it in the lake 😉

Here’s a specimen from this morning

tight lines.D9594442-C529-4BAC-B87B-F1B7EC28E039.thumb.jpeg.c775c313447657d99cd312e529a4f9cb.jpeg

Edited by Brendonjohnson
  • Like 25

Great catch mate, Went out this arvo near fennell bay, bolton point and got nothing so good to see somebody is catch some nice fish!👍

Edited by BigHorse
  • Thanks 1