Jump to content

Fishing Adventure


Recommended Posts

Wazz's great stories have prompted me to add one of my own. Waz reminded me that he used to fish at a spot called Julianne, in Sydney's eastern suburbs. I used to fish this place a lot. It was a good producer of bonito and kings. It would get fairly crowded as the best spot to fish from only comfortably accommodated two or three people. Live baiting was OK as you would leave your rod in one of the many rod holes but if you wanted to throw lures you needed to get there early to get a spot.

One summer way back, it must have been in the 1980's because Prince Henry Hospital was still operating, I went down there. It was the week between Christmas and New Year on a week day as I was on annual leave from work. Being a week day there was no one there, had it been a weekend there most likely would have been others there. Anyway, I had brand new expensive Rapala diving lure which I was keen to try out for the bonnies. I started casting and after a while I hooked one and quickly brought it into the rocks and landed it. I used to keep my gear way back on a waist high ledge in a big cave so I took the bonnie back there with the lure still attached. I needed to get back there because the trebles were well embedded in the fish and my pliers were in my bag. Anyone who has caught a bonito will know how much energy they have with the endless shaking and jumping around. I went to grab the fish and one of the hooks on one of the trebles went right through my finger. I didn't feel a thing, I just saw the barb poking out the other side of my finger. Now I have a lively bonito on the end of my impaled finger. I had to hold it down with both hands for what seemed like an eternity until it died. If I didn't hold it still I was worried the shaking would tear my finger to pieces.

Of course it was my right hand and I'm right handed so I had to try and use my left hand to cut the hook with the pliers. My left hand was not strong enough to cut the hook or the ring or the attachment wire on the lure. I don't recall but I probably had one of those tiny fishing pliers which didn't help. All I could do was cut the line. Then I had a brainwave - head up to Prince Henry and get them to get the hook out. I left all my gear on the ledge and off I went. The hospital was just up the hill, on the other side of the golf course. The outpatients was almost all the way up near Anzac Parade, so in I walked carrying the bonito and sat down in the waiting room. As you can imagine everyone in the place was giving me all sorts of looks. It wasn't too busy and fairly soon they ushered me in and wanted to know why I was there. When they saw the fish and heard the story there was much laughter among the nursers and doctors. They were coming from everywhere to have a look. I felt like a real goose. They finally settled down and set about getting the hook out. The doctor got some pliers and I said cut the hook not the attachment wire but of course he cut the attachment wire which meant my brand new lure was ruined. Anyway, hook was removed and I walked back down to Julianne with my bonito. My gear was still there as I expected.

It all turned out OK but I don't know what I would have done if the hospital wasn't there.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the Bonnies.

Thanks for another great story.

When my daughter was very young she got a hook through the tip of the toe at the local wharf as one of the kids was casting. It had a bit of smelly old mullet attached.

Dad was not allowed to touch it & a trip to the Hospital was firmly requested (what do Dads know??!!). A similar scenario as Couta with much interest and a young Doctor was assigned to the task.

After much study of the situation and little action I suggested that due to the shape of the hook and the barb on the end with the point of the hook showing just under the skin, the best course of action might be to cut the end off the shank at the eye and simply push the hook through rather than try to pull it back out. Also this would remove the remains of the not so fresh mullet from the locality.

A pair of pliers &/or side cutters was suggested. A small pair of brand new pliers was produced and following a quick instruction on how the cutters work he removed the eye & mullet. The remains of the hook was pushed through the tip of the toe with little fuss. Success.

I did insist on the wound being flushed with antiseptic which was done and the daughter recovered quite well.

A similar situation unfolded out at sea with a single hook (fortunately) from a nice new treble similarly embeded in a finger as a large Mac Tuna shook its head. The hook was cut from the treble & the remains pushed through the finger to remove. The wound then rinsed off and fishing recommenced.

Interestingly there was no pain while the hook was in the finger and only a slight pain as the point exited with no pain after. I did wash it with warm water from the motor as we continued trolling.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Create New...