Tinny pimping.... ideas

BigHorse

Hey fishraiders, 

My dad and i have finally decided it's time to start fixing up our old tinny to a nice fishing machine.

We've had a look around and seen some idea but am wondering if any fishraiders have any tinny "must needs" that they wouldn't go without. 

It's a 3.8m tinny with 3 benches. feel free to pitch anything.

845C98F0-DD01-4570-8E99-8A5E31FED660.jpeg

Daniel

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Attached the pic

Here's a pic of my old Seajay Nomad I did up a long time ago.

Flat floor, casting deck with storage underneath and a couple of comfy seats made longer trips so much more comfortable.

A mount was welded to the stern for the electric motor and the side grab rails were added so I could attach a couple of Scotty rod holders if I wanted to do some trolling.

A small Lowrance sounder was mounted on the port side of the rear thwart and a few vertically mounted rod holders were fixed to the back of the front thwart.

B0000814.JPG

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe get a trailer for it 1st 😂

Sorry BH, 1st thing that came to mind.

I did a few to mine, flooring makes a big different for a good casting platform, if doing it just remember the pivot is accentuated the closer you move to the edge & its easy to throw someone overboard when moving about if they are standing, good communication needed!!

I made my floor removable, it you make it permanent you'll need to install a bilge pump!

I would like to have full side rails for better rod holder, and a proper swivel seat.

The seat is easy enough but need a welder for the side rails.

The only other thing I would like to do is to put a door on the bow storage area which is 2 levels to stop stuff flying out when the ride gets bumpy.

There is only so much you can do really, you could make some rod storage on the side like I have seen on one of @frankSboats he did.

On the larger motor suggestion, if considering just make sure your transom is rated to what you get! 

15595007_motorveiw-small.thumb.JPG.c5fda5676bdda5749d6e86e27d962b86.JPG

IMG_0061.thumb.JPG.3e729a24bc7484ec257b874a701c89a7.JPG

• Thanks 1

Hi BigHorse. What do you intend using the tinny for? A must do (in my opinion) would be a 30 - 40HP motor. Maybe the 9.9HP would suit some situations but it's not going to get you out of trouble if fishing tidal or fast running areas. Definitely casting decks if you plan for lure fishing (mainly). I have a small tinny 3.45m with a 15HP Yamaha (tiller). It has 2 benches so I built a level floor between them and mounted a pedestal for my rear seat which is removable. This allows me to comfortably plant my backside on the pedestal seat and cast lures and spinnerbaits for Murray Cod...using the electric which is bow mounted. This set up is ideal for my purposes. I have also installed lights, home made rod holders (some showing in photo) and a forward storage area. Cheers,bn

IMG_8477resize.jpg.2cb96385400e03a3bd3d063de1358bf3.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Hi BigHorse. What do you intend using the tinny for? A must do (in my opinion) would be a 30 - 40HP motor. Maybe the 9.9HP would suit some situations but it's not going to get you out of trouble if fishing tidal or fast running areas. Definitely casting decks if you plan for lure fishing (mainly). I have a small tinny 3.45m with a 15HP Yamaha (tiller). It has 2 benches so I built a level floor between them and mounted a pedestal for my rear seat which is removable. This allows me to comfortably plant my backside on the pedestal seat and cast lures and spinnerbaits for Murray Cod...using the electric which is bow mounted. This set up is ideal for my purposes. I have also installed lights, home made rod holders (some showing in photo) and a forward storage area. Cheers,bn

IMG_8477resize.jpg.2cb96385400e03a3bd3d063de1358bf3.jpg

Hey Big Neil, 

I'm planning to go out in Lake Macquarie not offshore in anyway so don't need big hp on the back. We've already got a 9.9 on the back and don't think i'll change that. My dad doesn't want a front casting deck but i would like one as want to start fishing soft plastics a vibes. 

Thanks all👍

I have a 375. their not big boats. Weight is a concern.  Marine carpet on the floor is good 3 sections for easy removal and cleaning. Seats are a must! Electric motor with spot lock, and a sounder.  Cast from the back!  No advantage being up the front. Only a meter away!    Most of my casting is done sitting down. Lower to the water, spooks the fish on the flats less. 

A 30 Hp would sink the back of the boat !!!  What is it rated to ?  10  should be good !  

Howard.

Is the 9.8 a detuned 15 ?  May be worth asking about ?

Edited by bluefin
  • Thanks 1

I hope you have lots of fun with your tinnie. Whatever you do remember that weight is your enemy and therefore a primary consideration in any additions. Casting decks are great but your fixed seats are fine for this. Any big batteries for electric motors means you need a fire extinguisher & a fixed floor means a bilge pump. Some nice examples above. You could spend a lot of time on youtube if you search pimping my tinnie!!

Like any boat, storage is a priority - see BN's Rod holders above. If you are towing the boat consider your options on "covering your load" - proper boat cover suited to towing, various options for trailers/utes etc are cheaper & should comply & well suited to your boat. As usual Everything is a compromise - except having fun and going fishing - and being safe

And if you are young take it from us oldies that you must invest in good hats/sun protection AND good sunglasses (sunscreen for your eyes)

I shouldn't mention it but bluefin has a point & the only difference is the fuel pump. Boat compliance plate determines the max hp!!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hoods said:

I hope you have lots of fun with your tinnie. Whatever you do remember that weight is your enemy and therefore a primary consideration in any additions. Casting decks are great but your fixed seats are fine for this. Any big batteries for electric motors means you need a fire extinguisher & a fixed floor means a bilge pump. Some nice examples above. You could spend a lot of time on youtube if you search pimping my tinnie!!

Like any boat, storage is a priority - see BN's Rod holders above. If you are towing the boat consider your options on "covering your load" - proper boat cover suited to towing, various options for trailers/utes etc are cheaper & should comply & well suited to your boat. As usual Everything is a compromise - except having fun and going fishing - and being safe

And if you are young take it from us oldies that you must invest in good hats/sun protection AND good sunglasses (sunscreen for your eyes)

I shouldn't mention it but bluefin has a point & the only difference is the fuel pump. Boat compliance plate determines the max hp!!

Thanks Hoods, 

You make some great points there. Were not having a fixed floor but our battery weight is a bit of a problem... well we'll have to figure it out somehow!

Sunscreen, hats and sunnies also an investment were going to make.

Thaks

On 7/26/2021 at 7:42 AM, BigHorse said:

Were not having a fixed floor but our battery weight is a bit of a problem... well we'll have to figure it out somehow!

Hi BG

I had my battery in a purpose made box between the 2nd seat and front seat on the opposite side to where I sat while driving. The box was strong enough for a small person to sit on (75kgs or less)

On the outside of the box it had the switch panel for Nav Lights, Fish Finder, Floor Lights and Bilge.

Flooring was removable and cut around the battery box

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1