👨‍🍳Whats your top 3-5 favourite eating fish + favourite fish meal

puddlejumper

Hey all,

With lockdown all boring us to the max just thought I'd start a bit of a topic for everyone.

Whats your top 3-5 favourite eating fish + favourite fish meal?

Mine would be:

=1. Flathead and john dory

2. Kingfish - sashimi, but cooked well its pretty good as well

3. Garfish - bbq'd with lemon + garlic

- can't go past beer battered flattie, my all time no. 1.

Edited by puddlejumper
  • Like 1

Hmmm for me:

1 = Tusk Fish

2 = Pearl Perch

3 = John Dory

4 = Blue Eye

5 = Whiting/Garfish

6 = Pink Ling

7 = Snapper

8 = Flathead

Yeah I can't count too well but these are my favourites. I've also heard that teraglin are pretty good but haven't had the pleasure yet. Once the lockdown is over a trip to Yamba may sort that.

• Like 2

• mrsswordfisherman changed the title to 👨‍🍳Whats your top 3-5 favourite eating fish + favourite fish meal

My number 1 will always be John Dory, in my opinion, fresh caught, they have no equal if crumbed mmm!

2 Mangrove Jack

3 Coral Trout 

4 Flathead tie with KG Whiting

5 Any fish cooked on the BBQ- in random order Kingfish, Hairtail, Luderick, Pigs, Gars

I also love fresh caught Tailor cooked after the sausages (in sausage fat!) try that if you get a chance!

Edited by wazatherfisherman
  • Like 1

Red Emperor

Ocean trout

Blue eye

John Dory

Flounder

Whiting

At the end of the day comes down to how well you can cook them............or not cook them

Lots of other QLD reef species I haven't tried yet but look forward to.

Edit: Oops, have to add YF/SBF Tuna.

@puddlejumper you should have said top 10 .....................or 20 :mfr_lol:

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's pretty hard to pin it down to just a few, lots of fish are good eating, most Reef species, Spanish and Spotty Mackeral, then the deepwater species, Blue Eye, Hapuka, Tasmanian Trumpeter, then the common Whiting, Flathead, Snapper and Bream, then rock species, Black Drummer, Luderick, the list just goes on.

• Like 2

I guess  to put "taste" into perspective, fish taste different, some are strong and "fishy" others are mild and distinctive, some bland with no fish flavour at all, examples would be Atlantic Salmon and Tuna are very fishy, Whiting and Flathead are quite mild, Snapper, Bream and Blackfish are "distinctive" Blue Groper, Basa have no flavour at all, suitable for the non fish eater, nice and white, but no fish taste.

• Like 1

I often get roasted for this, but, whoever said Red Rock Cod were "poor mans lobster" have never eaten Lobster (not that I rate Lobster too high) will never eat a Leatherjacket, ever...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, puddlejumper said:

Blue eye and trag were on my bucket list and this forum confirmed that

Trag are just OK, quite "soft" and taste similar to Tailor, bigger Jewfish are very good, smaller ones.....nah, soft and mushy.

• Like 2

I have eaten Lobster hundreds of times (I get them myself) and eaten Rock Cod, fried, boiled, steamed and in fish cakes, it just curls up into a ball of tough fish, absolutely nothing like fresh Lobster, might compare to a rubbish imported frozen one maybe, it's not bad as such, but that's where it ends, better off eating seafood extender.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 2

Flathead 1 probably bream 2 small snapper (legal) 3 leather jacket 4 but must  admit I've been turned off by the amount of ones I've caught with parasites I think there called doctors look like alien out of same movie can't eat them if I see one .had lobster at upmarket restaurant in Hawaii  yum but lots of butter not a healthy choice.wish things would get back to normal no work for 2 weeks I feel for you guys who havnt been able to work for even longer . I'm getting jab on Monday too much mucking around to organise  it needs to be easy and quick stay safe

• Like 2

Just had some sensational Jewfish for dinner, dusted in flour and it was fantastic, some simple salad, no fancy sauces or a thousand herbs, easy done and the fresh fish was the "star" certainly up there with one of the best.

On 7/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, Bryant fish said:

Flathead 1 probably bream 2 small snapper (legal) 3 leather jacket 4 but must  admit I've been turned off by the amount of ones I've caught with parasites I think there called doctors look like alien out of same movie can't eat them if I see one .had lobster at upmarket restaurant in Hawaii  yum but lots of butter not a healthy choice.wish things would get back to normal no work for 2 weeks I feel for you guys who havnt been able to work for even longer . I'm getting jab on Monday too much mucking around to organise  it needs to be easy and quick stay safe

Same for me with Leatherjackets, the "doctors" don't worry me, but I have seen them with big open sores on them, Parasites eating into their flesh so they were just almost skin and a skeleton, plus I had another "experience" that turned me off them for life.