Patonga Creek Kayak 26/06/21

Brendan Monks

So I managed to get out a few times locally and off Swansea before lockdown hit! (We actually got the news later that day we were going into a lockdown at 6:00pm here on the Coast!). Now I’m just twiddling my thumbs, so I thought I’d write something up to pass the time and for the memory bank – Warning: By no means big fish or anything exciting! 😆

I had recently made some new kayak racks for my canopy so I was super keen to try these out. I loaded and packed the yak the afternoon before with no issues and was set up bright and early on the water’s edge at Patonga Creek. Gotta love the smell of fire wafting by a few people that were camping upstream (Will have to try this sometime!). Boy does it stay cold in the valley!

1871025062_KayakCanopyRacks.thumb.jpg.636e5a95748f1b36b98b4c55be675f61.jpg

1290370191_PatongaCreekHobieKayak.thumb.jpg.a692b1f8a5f593235276fedaab1cb122.jpg

The plan was to head up to the main sand flat to pump for nippers and try catch a feed of flathead or whiting. I decided to chuck in the little cooker in case there was somewhere I could pull up and cook some fresh fillets! It was also the first time taking my new little mate on the yak, so it was always going to be interesting! (He decided it was better in the water than onboard in the first 10 metres we pedaled). 😅😂

During the Summer months the channel always produces a lot of flathead. It’d been quite a while since I’ve last fished this area, and hesitant with the water temperature so cold but was keen to give it a red hot crack. Like we used to always do, some of the first nippers we got went straight back out with a long shank as jewelry while I continued to pump enough for a few hour session. This accounted for 2 very small flathead – At least we were on the board with the target species!

530884822_GunnarHobieKayak.thumb.jpg.9953c3e133b98b66bcff405e0bfc1035.jpg

I decided to try drifting the channel instead to cover a bit of ground, I was instantly rewarded by a Flattie that was just over legal length. Thinking it was going to be a productive session, I let him swim away hoping to upgrade – No such luck! The next hour or so I spent drifting the same spot as the tide was rising for only small Flattie and micro Bream.

736721034_PatongaCreekFlathead.thumb.jpg.54713fbbdffafe507358dbcb2811eb50.jpg

I have never explored too far up the creek but looked at it a few times on Google Maps. I thought it was time to see how far we could get up and find somewhere to stretch the legs and cook a feed (Lucky I also had bacon and eggs in the esky). By now the wind had picked up and was getting a bit too much for the patience levels fighting this and an ADHD puppy wanting to clamber over everything. 🤪

I found another fishy looking location and quickly pulled a just legal Whiting off the flats. I was tossing up whether to keep him for later but decided on a quick happy snap before releasing, a few more smaller models came on board but not the size I was after for a feed!

567428392_PatongaCreekWhiting.thumb.jpg.75f87f82f072e2f9f76ca841284f9dce.jpg

I decided to call it a day after finding nowhere decent to pull up upstream and started pedaling back to the ute. Not to be beaten, but almost back to the launch area, I flicked a small grub into the edge of the mangroves that looked like they were holding small bait and was rewarded with another just legal fish. This time a Bream! It’s been too long since I got one of these on plastic so it was great to tick this off in a day.

683836263_PatongaCreekBream.thumb.jpg.bab7b7ee1e34b4000c3f6c632c3b981b.jpg

Wish I kept something for a feed but that’s fishing. It was a great day on the water and I hope to try this area again come Summer as the scenery is just too amazing, and hoping for some better sized fish.

Cheers, Brendo

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see any report whilst in lockdown! And I think even competent fishos wouldn't complain about a day like that in winter.

I've camped at Patonga with my family before, on recommendation of fellow raiders. Brilliant spot and it is a very rare place that still allows open fires in winter (BYO fire pit).

Thanks for your report.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, puddlejumper said:

Cheers for report. Having a puppy on a kayak all day doesn't sound sensational!😂

He loved it, but it was more towards lunch time when he just couldn't get comfy where to sleep 😆😂😂

17 hours ago, Brendonjohnson said:

Nice fish mate! All the best through the lockdown man 

Cheers mate! Would love to be out fishing, but using the time to get my boat looking smicko and running again 😄 Fingers crossed a few trips up off Swansea and Port again soon! 🤙

Edited by Brendan Monks
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice to see any report whilst in lockdown! And I think even competent fishos wouldn't complain about a day like that in winter.

I've camped at Patonga with my family before, on recommendation of fellow raiders. Brilliant spot and it is a very rare place that still allows open fires in winter (BYO fire pit).

Thanks for your report.

That's it, reports have become non existent! 😑

Yeah awesome spot for a camp, I will have to try it sometime with the yaks 👌

19 hours ago, BigHorse said:

NIce couple of fish mate! Looks like your dog didn't mind the trip. Always good to have a fishing buddy👍

Thanks! Can be annoying but he's learning pretty quickly 🤪😄

5 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Nice report some top fish and a nice set up for the kayak well done 

Cheers, thank you! 🤙

• Like 1

Mate you dont have to be getting your arms pulled out of their sockets all the time to be having a great time on the water 😆

The pup is very cute, but I hope you remembered to take some of those little black bags & some gloves 🐕💩..............😂

You got some great B&B fish there 7 a decent feed.

You rig looks great to, ans so does the Yak 😉

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Mate you dont have to be getting your arms pulled out of their sockets all the time to be having a great time on the water 😆

The pup is very cute, but I hope you remembered to take some of those little black bags & some gloves 🐕💩..............😂

You got some great B&B fish there 7 a decent feed.

You rig looks great to, ans so does the Yak 😉

True True, but we also love the adrenaline 😅 

Yeah, it was good to get back to the basics and how it all started. I did have bags with me but didn't have to use them luckily (I make sure he goes at home) 🤣

Cheers 🤙