Fishing between Zoom calls

Black CC

I had a 3 hour gap between Zoom calls yesterday, so I put the kayak in the water with a plan to fish the tide change. Ended up catching 10 Trevally but just kept 1. I forgot my measuring stick and quite a few were about 30cm so the only one I kept was clearly over 30. I caught them at the end of Chowder Head in the main Harbour with Navionics telling me I was 1.5km from home, so well within the 10km rule and definitely within my local Government area. I used prawns for bait purchased while refueling the car and a burley bomb full of old bread I pulled out of the freezer. In my 30 minute kayak from Sirius Cove around Bradleys Head to Chowder Head it was like being on a remote lake. Other than empty ferries, I only saw 2 boats out in 3 hours. I wouldn't normally share such a mundane venture but the experience of having Sydney Harbour all to myself was amazing. The fishing was pretty fast and furious as well. I used a small 3 way swivel onto the main line with 2 hooks (size 4) off the swivel. Very light trace. I was using 6 pound yesterday but even lighter can make it interesting if the Trevally are over 35cm. No weight but that only works if you fish an hour before and an hour after the tide change, which is what I normally do. The burley is more effective at the tide change too as it stays close to the kayak. I went out in the first week of lockdown on the Friday and caught 15 Trevally (kept 4) a bit further North but there were hundreds of boats everywhere. Lockdown sure has changed a bit since week one.

Cheers,

Tony         

Clifton Gardens Trev.jpg

• Like 10

Hey Blackcc, thanks for report - not mundane at all, and got to take those windows of opportunity when they present themselves. I wish Icould get out, but nearest ramp is Windsor and Bass / EP I leave alone over winter and when I rang police they said I could only go 10kms from the ramp😞.

Great report though - thanks

1 hour ago, Remote River Man said:

Great report, loaded with information - awesome. How do you usually cook up your trevally?

Thanks RRM.

I fry them in a batter of egg; milk; sparkling water; flour and ice. The batter needs to be very cold.

I only keep the fish between 30cm and 35cm because I find the fish over 35cm are a bit tough. My family prefer Silver Trevally cooked that way to any other fish I catch. I have served up Coral Trout, Red Emperor and Rankin Cod but they prefer battered Trevally.

So I didn't keep this one, which is my PB Trevally caught 20 years ago at the Montebello Islands. 

GT caught at the Montebello Islands.JPG

Quite a unique experience being on Sydney Harbour when it was daylight and empty. Good description of your "spontaneous" adventure in the kayak. Thanks for sharing...not a lot of reports happening at present. bn