Good fishing spots, Molonglo River, Canberra

KhalidMSyed

Hello All,

Starting a new thread as I would like to share some of my good fishing spots in Molonglo River, Canberra. The spots shown in the attached image below are not easy to reach but that's exactly what makes them such good fishing spots. I have been fishing in this area a while now and will post some of my fishing reports from this area over the next few days. Stay tuned!

HOOzXStT02pchYIKTqdNXcBH9hk_CpTarj-HCHMeMXfb6h8z9ht7DgYfz3NiP-VhUuivqxWbymyN=s800-c-fcrop64=1,80000000ffffffff-nd

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Hoods said:

A nice fish KMS - please tell us a bit about how you caught it. Is the river up or normal height? 

Thanks mate.

This fish was caught on whole defrosted Pilchard. The hole I was fishing usually contains a couple of large Murray Cod and Carp. This time the Murray Cod got to the bait first and the rest is history. The river was higher than usual in the video as it was after heavy rains. The river level is roughly the same nowadays.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

Another quality video which showed your angling skills. A classy example of landing the fish using your knowledge and patient approach to the fish snagging you. Well done. bn

Thanks mate. Appreciated.

The aerial shots with the drone are great for seeing where the fish are likely to be. Great innovation! Where are you getting your supply of live Yabbies from? Certainly looks like the areas where you fish have an abundance of above average Murray Cod. Many thanks for another quality video. bn

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

The aerial shots with the drone are great for seeing where the fish are likely to be. Great innovation! Where are you getting your supply of live Yabbies from? Certainly looks like the areas where you fish have an abundance of above average Murray Cod. Many thanks for another quality video. bn

Thanks mate.

I get my supply of live Yabbies from this shop in Canberra: https://www.tackleworld.com.au/store/tackle-world-canberra/

I keep them alive in a plastic box that I bought from Bunnings. They can survive up to 2 weeks without any food. The longest I have kept them alive is 2+ months by feeding them once a week. You can see the box in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZdiHBtoe-s

Yes, Molonglo River and Murrumbidgee River form a delta in the Uriarra area and most Murray Cod are big here. During my two years of fishing here I have caught only one juvenile Murray Cod, all the others were above 50cm.

Thank you for your response. I do catch and keep both Yabbies and Shrimps as they are excellent baits for all species that frequent the river. However they are extremely scarce during the Winter months because they actually hibernate. I tend to use the live baits soon after I catch them. The storage box is a good idea as it keeps them separated. Yabbies, in particular, will fight and kill each other if they get the opportunity. Cheers, bn

• 2 months later...

The local nature reserves and parks in Canberra finally opened after weeks of strict lockdown and I was able to catch my first fish in several weeks. This video report shows a 59cm Carp being caught between spot #2 and #3 as shown on map in the post at top.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A great video Khalid. Fantastic fishing locations you have sought out. I wish the Murrumbidgee , where I live, was running that slowly. Quite likely it will be unfishable for quite some time, especially if we get the rain which is predicted.

Your PBs are gradually creeping up. Quality videos showing the how and where you go about your angling expeditions. Thanks for sharing them with us. bn

On 7/25/2021 at 8:36 PM, KhalidMSyed said:

The spots shown in the attached image below are not easy to reach but that's exactly what makes them such good fishing spots.

Looks like you pulling some nice fish from the area but Im am curious that if these spots are hard to get to that you are traveling through someone's private property to get there or the area being fished is in fact on private property? 

Edited by kingie chaser

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Looks like you pulling some nice fish from the area but Im am curious that if these spots are hard to get to that you are traveling through someone's private property to get there or the area being fished is in fact on private property? 

99% sure that area is in a nature reserve so no dramas with access. Depending on which way you come from there is either a walk for a couple of km along the river or a walk down a bit of a hill on a graded walking track past the poo farm. 

Good on you Khalid for getting out there in this weather and river height. That is a nice looking cod.

14 hours ago, big Neil said:

A great video Khalid. Fantastic fishing locations you have sought out. I wish the Murrumbidgee , where I live, was running that slowly. Quite likely it will be unfishable for quite some time, especially if we get the rain which is predicted.

Your PBs are gradually creeping up. Quality videos showing the how and where you go about your angling expeditions. Thanks for sharing them with us. bn

Thanks Neil. Your kind words are appreciated.

9 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

This area is within Lower Molonglo Nature reserve and is open to public. Complete with nature track that is clearly marked.

• Like 1