V4 Johnson 90hp help

Alex75

Hi Guys 

Need some help, due to somethings happening I haven't been able to start my boat in over 2 months, I started it today and all this dirty oil water came out and on the side look like old was coming out of the side see the below video.

I took it out over 6months ago and washed it and flushed it. 

If anyone can help me out if this means somethings  wrong or do I need to take it out and open it up.

I'm new to boating and repairs this is something for my son and I to learn on and update later on, so any help would be great. 

ED49723B-8AD3-4400-8514-95A5ABC1D20D.thumb.jpeg.6d875fe0012a536741e02473aee33521.jpeg

Looks like you are using engine oil instead of proper two stroke oil , that is the milky oil on the ground . Also the un burnt oil running out of the lower leg . The engine would have been running like a dog , 

2 minutes ago, oldtown said:

Looks like you are using engine oil instead of proper two stroke oil , that is the milky oil on the ground . Also the un burnt oil running out of the lower leg . The engine would have been running like a dog , 

I definitely used two stroke oil, it was running great last time we took it out. 

Is it VRO?

When the VRO fails, in my experience, they over oil.

In my case large amounts of unburned oil through the exhaust, particularly after a period of extended lay up.

I had oil under the cowling and running down the leg (the outboards, not mine!), as well as black unburned oil from the prop exhaust.

If that is your issue, replacement is expensive.

I chose to replace mine, but the cheaper and probably more reliable alternative is to convert to premix by installing a blanking kit to the VRO.

Good luck, I hope you get it properly diagnosed and sorted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tryhard said:

Is it VRO?

When the VRO fails, in my experience, they over oil.

In my case large amounts of unburned oil through the exhaust, particularly after a period of extended lay up.

I had oil under the cowling and running down the leg (the outboards, not mine!), as well as black unburned oil from the prop exhaust.

If that is your issue, replacement is expensive.

I chose to replace mine, but the cheaper and probably more reliable alternative is to convert to premix by installing a blanking kit to the VRO.

Good luck, I hope you get it properly diagnosed and sorted.

Hi thanks for the reply, mine is not a VRO. 

3 hours ago, motiondave said:

@Alex75, have you changed the type of two stroke oil? what are you using currently?
Only reason I ask is that I normally use Gulf Western oil, but a while back I used Penzoil for a short time.
for me, Penzoil was worst oil ive ever used, ran more smoky, left a big sludge that looked like it blew all the gear seals and left mixes oil water everywhere.
Also, keep in mind, its an old motor, so as others have said, try new plugs, and do a compression check. If you can take it out for a run, then do so. I think boat maintenance is allowed,and maybe an hour on the water might be the go, but get proper approval from local cop shop and maritime before you do. Just get relevant paperwork so you dont get booked. Im sure they will let you go for a run for that reason. 

Thanks mate really appreciate the advice, I used penrite marine 2 stroke. Like one of the other guys said maybe empty the tank and put some fresh fuel in it also. So is gulf western the better option for 2 stroke oil? 

thanks again 

67041CA4-DC85-4C20-8436-7821BDB750E1.thumb.jpeg.7ef9d0828dedade1fd7be6a6f2bdfa6e.jpeg

Thanks, I’m in the Georges river LGA so I have some time on my hands now. So I will be emptying the tank and start fresh new tank of fuel and 2 stroke oil and check the spark plugs see how that goes. Thanks again guys for your help 

OK, let's go way back to the beginning, the only oil in that motor is what you put in the fuel, if you don't use the motor for a while, fuel in the carbs can evaporate, leaving the oil, ready for you to pump fresh fuel into them again, except they have lots of oil sitting there, add to that, running on the flusher does not burn all the fuel and oil off, making matters worse still, using higher octane fuel will not help.

• Thanks 1

While I have the time in lockdown I took the tank out and emptied it and there was a lot of rubbish inside the tank and fuel was very dirty and some water in there, we cleaned it out and will put it back in and fresh fuel and try the gulf western 2 stroke oil, just waiting for it to be delivered. 

Just a question since my tank in an in-floor tank and has the fuel cap in the back, is it best to mix it in a Jerry can and then fill it up, I'm guessing that's the safest way to make sure the mix is always spot on? 

Another question, my outboard engine cowling inside it has a foam and it's all coming off and little pieces everywhere if I remove this will there be any problems with that or Is it just mainly for noise reduction? 

Thanks again guys for all your help. 

1E00007C-AB7F-40C1-8EDE-78EA804102F4.jpeg

On 8/1/2021 at 6:24 PM, motiondave said:

The foam inside the cowl is for noise reduction.

With mixing fuel, there's two ways I do it.

One, I have set empty Jerry cans, 5l and 20l so I know how much oil to put in before fuel.

But, if  I'm topping up the main tank , I watch the fuel amount going in, say it's 13l to fill a 20l tank, then I calculate the oil needed for 13l and put it in, as the other 7l is already premixed. 

Thank you for the advice.

So that foam inside is it better to remove it as it's getting all over the inside of the motor? 

Could also be a diaphragm leak on the fuel pump causing fuel to leak into the crankcase via the pulse line or a carby needle or float sticking causing a cylinder to flood ,I would also check the choke operation just to ensure the butterflies are fully open .

listening to the video it sounds like it is down a cylinder , the plugs will tell you what is going on . 
Changing oil brands won’t do a thing for you with this problem , cleaning the tank out is a good idea as it will prevent problems in the future .

For years I used Yamalube and was mostly happy with it but changed to Penrite as the other stuff was getting too expensive , Damned Penrite smokes like nothing I have ever seen ! Last trip out I spent a good hour putting around playing with my sounder chocking on fumes and regretting the day I bought that bottle of oil - motor was blowing smoke out like a steam train ! 

Edited by XD351
  • Thanks 1

My Yammie has to run 50:1 , Penrite at 100:1  ( if the engine manufacturer recommends it ) or in a VRO engine is probably ok . Might give the GW a go , what ratio is your engine running ?

@motiondave @XD351 HI guys I ordered the Gulf Western 2 stroke oil from Autobarn and I received my delivery today but they sent me Valvoline Marine 2 stroke, anyone had any experience with this or do you think it would still be ok. I wanted to check before I called them up. Thanks, guys 

8B7E7D9D-50B0-4424-A6FD-CA08300442C2.jpeg

Do a compression check on the motor. From memory it should be 120 to 130.

Also just to confuse you I use Nulon oil, just found it a better oil also always use 98 Octane fuel.

Have you got a water seperator on your fuel tank ?

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

There is no advantage in using high octane fuel (indeed there is a tiny disadvantage) most oils are OK, but it's best to find an easy to get brand and stay with it, don't mix oils together.

• Thanks 1