The role of social media ....

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

This came across my YouTube feed this morning.

The reason FishRaider is a sought out, trusted and respected gathering place for our fishing community, is a direct result of the effort Donna (@mrsswordfisherman) and all the moderators put in to ensure the social norms, values and basic respect are all upheld    ... they maintain the site's standards and we reap the benefits of sharing our passion, experiences and knowledge - which leads to discussion and debate and constructive outcomes.

Can we say the same for other social media ... ?

Personally I am not a fan of Borat's comedy but I feel here, Borat disguised as Sacha Baron Chen, has absolutely nailed the issues facing today's world - a world filled with fake news, conspiracy, hate and bigotry... and the adverse knock on effect this has on us and democracy.

I’ve expressed some of these observations to my closer colleagues ....but nowhere near as well as this guy.... I have new respect for Sacha ...

Cheers Zoran

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for posting that Zoran. It is very thought provoking indeed. 

Loved his summing up 

"truth over lies, tolerance over prejudice, empathy over indifference and experts over ignoramuses might just save democracy and free speech"

Thanks @zmk1962 for giving our site and community a big thumbs up. Stewy and I always wanted it to be a pleasant and safe place for all to come to. It seems that has been achieved over the years with the help of moderators, sponsors, supporters and members.

Look for lots more new members after this interview by yours truly ;) I posted this morning in Deckee News

• Like 4

I loved the quote 'free speech is not the same as free reach'.

I agree with @zmk1962's sentiments and @mrsswordfisherman and Stewie definitely have achieved their goals with creating a good community. This is the community which got me from being a casual fisho to being able to find fish with reasonable consistency on lures. All thanks to members who were willing to share.

It's nice to see this community still very much alive after all these years when many other communities have come and gone. More than that, it's retained its soul and its original purpose. That's a testament to the Swordies and the moderation team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Little Flatty's comments spot on. A big shout out to the Swordies, Scratchy and everyone else involved in Fishraider. Its the only Social Media i have or ever will indulge in, all due to the great work and unselfishness of all. Many thanks.

• Thanks 1

From what started as a way to pass time on nightshift, through fishraider I've made lifelong friends who I never would have met and I've had the privelage of putying members onto bucket list fish

Donna puts a lot of work in behind the scenes to keep FR at it's standards

• Thanks 1

I think most fishing/boating sites tend to have members that try to help each other out, however, most are not that well moderated, some are "anything goes" some are way too tough if you don't agree with certain views or members, this is kind of somewhere in the middle. Coming from an IT background, I can see "issues"  with social media, but, it's not all bad....in my opinion.