Blue groper reel advice .

leonardgid

Amazon.com : Penn 8500 SS Skirted Spool Spinning Reel : Fishing Reels :  Sports & OutdoorsHi there raiders  buying a 37 kg  12 ft rod to target  Blue groper , snapper  of the rocks , i own a number of these  "USA"  spinfishers  , i was thinking about using  one of them on the rod  but i was reading somewhere  where they said that the gears  are not that strong on them ,  has anyone  owned any of them  in the past , would you use one for  groper  or should i buy some other (budget)  threadline instead ,  i don t want to use an  alvey  for groper  by the way ,   thank you for your reply .

The older American made Penns are as tough as they come, several world record fish of various species have been taken on a Penn Spinfisher reels.

I have 8 of them from 3500 to 900 a few of them over 30 years old and still as good as the day they came out of the factory. Maybe a few scratches but working wise they are still strong, I would put them up against any other reel made.

Of coarse the newer penns made elseware other then the states are pretty well run of the mill reels.

Frank

• Like 2

I have an old usa made Penn and I would have complete faith in it.  Although I  did replace drag with carbonex washers and I would recommend anyone with these old models do the same.  Ron 

Gees, 37KG on a 12' rod, you will get yanked into the water! I used to fish pretty regularly for Snapper off the rocks, and 10KG was plenty, might go up a bit for Groper, but then, I didn't fish for them much from the rocks, usually from a boat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, noelm said:

Gees, 37KG on a 12' rod, you will get yanked into the water! I used to fish pretty regularly for Snapper off the rocks, and 10KG was plenty, might go up a bit for Groper, but then, I didn't fish for them much from the rocks, usually from a boat.

I tried 24kg and a locked drag, groper fishing with a 12 foot rod years ago. Luckily a good fish reefed me before I was heading for a swim.

• Like 2