Swapping seats

jbrewer

Gday Raiders,

I have a 2011 Tournament 1750 with a sealed carpet over flow coat type floor.

it has two standard alloy seat pedestals stock from the factory, I would like to swap one of those out for the seat frame that you can slip an esky under.

has anybody ever done this?

what would I be expecting, would the factory stock pedestals be screwed and glued to the floor and then the carpet laid around them? Making them a massive pain to get out and more than likely damaging the floor in the process?

I've included a couple of pics of what I have and what I am thinking.

1B5D2C98-9A4B-4567-B726-3224A3626F60.webp

6FD681D2-2271-43BC-9233-5B99AC49D1A7.jpeg

Depending on how well the boat is built, there will be reinforcing under the floor, and the seat base is screwed to that, probably carpet goes under the base, but, without investigation, that's only guessing.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Depending on how well the boat is built, there will be reinforcing under the floor, and the seat base is screwed to that, probably carpet goes under the base, but, without investigation, that's only guessing.

Yep that makes sense. 
ive seen many boats where the thickness of the base under the pedestals are built up higher than the floor for extra strength, but mine is flat, so any reinforcing would have to be under the sealed floor and you would assume it's only slightly larger than the base.

The last thing I want to do is pull the pedestal out when there is nothing wrong with it and end up causing issues.

I think it's easier to just leave it be, eventually if I ever need to replace the floor I can worry about it then.

cheers.

There is lots of off the shelf stainless frames made, but of course you have to adapt to suit your boat, (Reelaxn is one brand) best option (though more expensive) is to get something custom made to your exact dimensions, that way it fits nice and you can have it made to suit your esky. Another alternative in seat boxes that incorporate an esky/ice box, this works great, but, at the ramp you need another esky (kept in the car) to load the fish into to carry them to the cleaning table.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:35 AM, tryhard said:

I can see a flush mounted hatch ring in the image.

Obvious question....

Does that give you any way to see the underside of the existing pedestal?

To see what reinforcement is there?

Na, that's a fibreglass kill tank.

On 8/2/2021 at 9:01 AM, noelm said:

There is lots of off the shelf stainless frames made, but of course you have to adapt to suit your boat, (Reelaxn is one brand) best option (though more expensive) is to get something custom made to your exact dimensions, that way it fits nice and you can have it made to suit your esky. Another alternative in seat boxes that incorporate an esky/ice box, this works great, but, at the ramp you need another esky (kept in the car) to load the fish into to carry them to the cleaning table.

Getting the frame is easy, knowing what's under the floor to fix it too is my issue.

my concern is unscrewing they seat pedestal, leaving big bolt holes and then assuming it has a circular reinforced area built into the floor slightly larger than the original pedestal, when I try to attack the nex esky style frame I'm just screwing into 15mm flow coated floor with no reinforcement.

It will be over a much larger area compared to the pedestal the floor is plenty thick enough providing it is in A1 condition , use a larger gauge screw to compensate or drill more holes in the bracket if there are not enough for your liking. Make sure all holes are sealed correctly.

• Thanks 1