Barrenjoey Flatties

dlvbw

Gday Raiders,

Headed out with the kids on Saturday to try and get a feed of flatties. The weather was looking marginal, with a decent northerly predicted, but not much swell. The Bayview boat ramp was pleasantly empty. Met a nice guy heading out for a solo squid session in Pittwater. 

Headed straight out, slightly SE from Barrenjoey. At around the 40m mark, a couple of NM offshore, the wind really picked up and basically stayed that way all morning. We battled hard with the minn kota to keep our baits on the bottom. Whilst we took out some vacuum sealed yakkas and pillies we were lucky enough to pick up a couple of coutta early on. These were dispatched and made excellent bait, getting hammered when the baits hit the bottom. 

Picked up some really nice fish, 3 over 50 with the biggest 54cm (ish) and the rest in the 40s. A couple of throwbacks but not many. After about 3 hours we were done with the bouncing and the wind so headed in. Surprisingly the weather was beautiful once we were back close to Palmy.

Overall a challenging but rewarding day on the water. 

Cheers

D

Screenshot 2021-08-02 145334.jpg

Screenshot 2021-08-02 145532.jpg

• Like 8

14 hours ago, dlvbw said:

Cheers Zoran - guess what I got the coutta on......top hook with a white plastic! Deadly.

Yup it works … even on this forum - pretty sure you’ll get a decent bite soon 😉

The @Yowie-fish strike hard and put up a good tussle. But they’re also known to flap around a bit and become skittish if boats get too close so let me put out some more burley - plasTic, PLastiC, PLAStic, p-l-a-s-t-i-c….

There, that should do it ….

Tight lines 🤪

Zoran😇

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Well done, I bet the kids were happy to get out and have a fish. :fisher:

Yep - best thing was I tried some different sea sickness tablets for my eldest and they worked! Happy days as he had struggled offshore which hampered a few trips!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...