Live bait pickup

jbrewer

Raiders 

ive got a rule pump that sits deep in my hull with a 3/4 bsp threaded pipe that is drilled through my transom, it has a mesh strainer over the top.

this works fine when boat is still, but sucks air and struggles when on the move.

I have two questions.

if I remove the strainer and attach a 3/4 bsp elbow and tube type pick up that sits just below the hull which will fill with water when I'm moving, can that flow through my pump without it being powered on?

or 

do I leave that one as is, attach another pick up straight to the bait tank with no pump for when I am moving?

here is a pic of the current inlet.

677C59EC-D6B8-4CB5-8424-B865258F3001.jpeg

I had the same problem. If I did a lot of motoring around, I’d lose live baits. I lost the lot one day on a trip to the Port Stephens FAD. After that I fitted a poly elbow, with the downward pointing part cut off at approx. 45°, with the strainer fitted over that. You’ll find a thread somewhere on FR about this. Haven’t had a problem since (although I haven’t been to the FAD since) and so I think it’s getting plenty of water flow at speed (pump turned off). I’ll take a photo soon and post it.

Edited by Berleyguts

7 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I had the same problem. If I did a lot of motoring around, I’d lose live baits. I lost the lot one day on a trip to the Port Stephens FAD. After that I fitted a poly elbow, with the downward pointing part cut off at approx. 45°, with the strainer fitted over that. You’ll find a thread somewhere on FR about this. Haven’t had a problem since (although I haven’t been to the FAD since) and so I think it’s getting plenty of water flow at speed (pump turned off). I’ll take a photo soon and post it.

Legend, that's exactly what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if the water pushing through the pump while it's not on would be a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

What you need is one of these - a transom mount water pick up .493FD145-0335-4C9C-AA82-D6485BA5626A.thumb.jpeg.d3bb4384615127a6c9e66201444409aa.jpeg

I've seen those when the pump is on the outside.

or are you suggesting having that as well as a secondary pickup?

26 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

It depends on wether or not water flows thru your pump when turned off

I guess I can blast a garden hose into my current set up, see if water gets through the pump without it being powered on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jbrewer said:

if I remove the strainer and attach a 3/4 bsp elbow and tube type pick up that sits just below the hull which will fill with water when I'm moving, can that flow through my pump without it being powered on?

That will work perfect stationary with the pump on and under way with pump on or off.

You can find one ay Bunnings that will screw on your fitting, if not any irrigation shop.

You can't use the strainer you have now though .

I have seen a lot of Quintrex boats with the same set up as yours fitted from factory . I don't know what they are thinking, it's never going to work when underway.

1 hour ago, wrxhoon1 said:

That will work perfect stationary with the pump on and under way with pump on or off.

You can find one ay Bunnings that will screw on your fitting, if not any irrigation shop.

You can't use the strainer you have now though .

I have seen a lot of Quintrex boats with the same set up as yours fitted from factory . I don't know what they are thinking, it's never going to work when underway.

Thought as much, mine was installed after the fact by the previous owner, but you are right maybe he had seen the quinni set up and thought it was a good idea to copy it.

I assume it's ok for an estuary boat where you don't travel too far, but if I catch bait at the haven and then head out to the FAD or 100m mark it's a fair hike and I lose bait and the ones that are alive are not well.

3 hours ago, jbrewer said:

I've seen those when the pump is on the outside.

or are you suggesting having that as well as a secondary pickup?

You would need to run an additional hose with a check valve in the line up to the outlet of the pump if your pump is not a flow through type .

If it is a flow through type you could hook this up to the original inlet using a length of hose and some fittings , it would give a neater fit out .

This is what you need one side screwed on your current pick up, the other side points downwards . You need  another tube to fit on the bit that points down cut 45 degrees pointy bit facing back so water is forced in the tube when underway.

If the inlet to the tank is on the top of the tank you are sweet. If the inlet is on the bottom of the tank you need a check valve between the pick up and the tank otherwise the tank will empty when stationary with pump off.

Ideally your waste tube should be 40 mm with a grill on the top to stop livies going down.

If your waste pipe is smaller it may not keep up, I have seen Quinies with 25 mm pipe but I don't know if they overflow .

I have 40 mm in mine with a clam pick up and 800 gal pump no issues overflowing.

Product image

P1120671.thumb.JPG.1219544001fd500cd7d185f70f324c62.JPG

Edited by wrxhoon1
Add pictures

This is my setup. I think it’s a 20mm female to male threaded poly elbow (from Bunnings). I cut the male part off at 45° and screwed the mesh screen on to that. Works well for me - gets plenty of water through. Only time I had a problem was when I got a lot of water into it and a small yakka got stuck in the overflow pipe. Quickly fixed though.

674F6494-0D85-4CAC-8E38-2407F41A24EA.jpeg

• Like 1

The only grey area is if pump is off  water wont go up to tank until about 12 knots  if your goin slow with pump off  no flow bait dies    i have pump external mounted on pikup plate  tap in line to slow pressure when travelling fast   you need to remember to turn on pump when you stop

• Like 2