This and that

frankS

Well I haven't been able to do a great deal lately, I have a few jobs half done on the Savage.

Ran out of gas and can't do any welding till restrictions are finished and I can go to the gas shop to get a full bottle of Argon.

Knew I was getting low so the jobs I have been doing are only tacked together just to hold them to shape, when I get some gas I will be flat out welding to finish the projects.

One of the rear grab rails was missing so I had to make something similar, not a perfect replica but will do the job, need a trip to Bunnings to get some nuts and bolts etc.

Making a rocket launcher, made a make shift one from 3/4 " Stainless tube but it felt too flimsy so decided to make it out of alloy instead.

Making live bait tank and once again need gas and a trip to shop to get stuff to finish it off. I have 3 x bilge pumps but no hose or connections.

I am re doing all the wiring in the boat as it looked like a spiders web with all the wires going everywhere, removing V H F radio and AM/FM radio as they have no antennas and fitting 27 meg radio. 

Got lots of holes to fill and  the idiots that owned the boat previously have used steel nuts and bolts of various sizes all over the boat, nothing is uniform a screw here and a nut and bolt there on the same item.

The bow rail is fastened with rusted out steel bolts and nuts, they will probably need to be grinded off. 

Will take some photos tomorrow to show you what I am up to lately.

Frank

• Like 4

Good to see that you're keeping safe Frank (although not busy by the sounds of it). Must be really testing for you all in Sydney having to put up with these restrictions. Your health and well being are most important so plod on...

Cheers, bn

It is a bit frustrating, I have some concreting ready to go, concrete can't come here for god knows how long, a new roller door on order, can't do that either, some brickwork setup to be done, brickies cant come, everything is half started, the yards a mess with no sign of getting done.

There is a gas supply place just 3 k's from my house so I took the punt and drove around there, ( Had to go to chemist to get scripts anyway ) . Luckily they were open and I hired a E size bottle of Argon to keep me going till I can fill my big bottle.

Works out cheaper as well as the refill is only $100 where elsewhere the E size is $ 140 to fill.

So I can go ahead and weld up my projects.

Frank

• Like 5

Photo of unfinished rocket launcher. Will probably add an extra rod holder on the angle at each end making a total of 9 rod holders, also add a net and gaff holder to the side of the launcher.

183204421_rocketlauncher1.thumb.jpg.9fd3c087a925e095e8af6d76f6bc06b2.jpg

177011234_rocketlauncher2.thumb.jpg.5de0b1710c84098d22c7eddfb63f3c6a.jpg

Frank

• Like 2

Bait tank. Decided to make it from Stainless steel as I am getting low on sheet alloy, a lot heavier than alloy but will live with that.

About the only thing I have had to buy so far for this boat is the hatch lid.

I am adding a one way valve to the inlet side of tank so water does not flow back out through the pump, it's just one of those syphon hose one way valve, I may also add cut off tap inline somewhere, but too many things to remember to do might cause problems.

I will simply cut or drill holes up high in the tank to allow overflow as this tank is going to sit on the outside step of the transom, overflow will simply flow out the holes into the sea/river.

When finished I will paint outside of tank. When I can buy some paint.

2024995722_baittank1.thumb.jpg.0c0ebd904e6c21a42558d236af7c7149.jpg

1858616356_baittank2.thumb.jpg.dbb49ccedeb8c01a288a82102320332a.jpg

651971403_baittank3.thumb.jpg.b6e9c99181c240812a87ea960f205efc.jpg

1439008179_baittank4.thumb.jpg.f3c9cd099cd1d4cf27b903a58475d539.jpg

The hose will fit over this snuggly .

Frank

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Couple more photos of progress work.

307410325_rocketlaunchernetspace.thumb.jpg.008d18f7fe745cef40fdccd15cb0be14.jpg

Added a space to attach net and gaff, will fit holders later.

1673890936_reargrabrail.thumb.jpg.6959a6c88ab7330b5b04fbf83eae7fa4.jpg

Rear grab rail, surprising how hard it is to get a similar shape to the original, but this will do.

1337833223_rearbaittank1.thumb.jpg.d1c4e8796c4c9a065b31cd03c10d4a30.jpg

Bait tank sitting on rear step.

1191013762_rearbaittank2.thumb.jpg.8e6c31928934415d805289c947493329.jpg

Tank will fill up and overflow will come from slots at top of tank, hope this simple setup works OK.

Haven't fitted bait pump yet and have one way valve so water does not flow back out through pump.

Have to cut hole in step to feed pipe through.

Frank

• Like 2

Dave. I'm not concerned with balance. I can't see any difference than a 125kg bloke standing in the corner of the boat, OR having an axillary motor hanging off the back.

And there will only be water in it under certain fishing conditions.

I find the benefit of it sitting outside the boat far outweighs any weight factor.

Frank