Slow pitch jigging

TK01

I went out this morning for a sneaky mid week jig and got myself a 77cm kingy, 72cm trag and a leathery on the slow jigs.  Slightly choppy conditions but not too bad.  It’s been a while since I did any jigging as I’ve been more interested in chasing snapper on plastics, so it was good fun to do something different today.  I’m no expert on this form of fishing but it always seems to produce fish for me.  I think it’s a very effective way of catching all sorts of funny looking things off the bottom, but occasionally I get rewarded with something more appealing like today (not talking about the leatherjacket).

2A5CAE22-2EFA-487A-BF17-DA114E97461C.jpeg

CD6745C3-CDC7-4137-B485-7B837D5E1448.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoods said:

Well done. The purple on top & tail says Jew. You are lucky you caught the Jacket rather than losing your gear to them.

Thanks, I lost a bit of gear to them but they weren’t too full on thankfully 

5 hours ago, TK01 said:

I think that trag is actually a jew, isn't it.  Oops!  Oh well, still over the legal size so no harm done

If the inside of the mouth was orange then its a trag. Looks like a trag to me.

Rare to get jews reef bashing off Sydney

12 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

If the inside of the mouth was orange then its a trag. Looks like a trag to me.

Rare to get jews reef bashing off Sydney

I’m at port Macquarie. I’ve caught jew and trag in that spot before and it’s pretty common here. It’s definitely a jew. When I landed it I was more focused on its stomach hanging out of its mouth and thinking about how it looked like a giant tongue, and didn’t really pay attention to what the rest of the fish looked like 🤣