Pandemic hobby - making your own soft plastics

mrsswordfisherman

Swordie has been playing around with making his own soft plastics yet again. 

Many months of no fishing has prompted him to make some lures and test colours.

Here is a pic of some of the dozens he has created on his table in the garage.

Now the itch to go fishing to test them is strong! 
39D2E3F6-47C0-4DF4-BB27-764D43FF67D7.jpeg
360A05BB-F900-42CF-8E8C-BAFBF9C1E782.jpeg

1220EDD0-699C-47F8-B9D3-C1B5302EC9DE.jpeg

3E7BE4AE-A3C9-416A-AAA9-0F44970E1A3C.jpeg

D74876FD-70EF-4FD8-BE4A-7714F421A89B.jpeg

0403A4E7-06BD-4CD0-99EA-3BA03F8A616A.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Wow. That’s quite an involved process. Top effort! All that plastic would really set @Yowie off. 
cheers Zoran 

I am really worried about you and plastics.

Plastic lures, turn into other plastic objects, and plastic raincoats to hide those plastic objects. :074:

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Thanks for comments it keeps him very busy :banana::1clap:👍

Good work there by Stewie.

Keep Zoran away, he is into "plastics". I am concerned about going fishing with him, he might pull out that plastic bonito. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

I am really worried about you and plastics.

Plastic lures, turn into other plastic objects, and plastic raincoats to hide those plastic objects. :074:

Are you talking from personal experience Yowie ??? ...🙄 

Cheers Z

I wish I hadnt seen this thread cause now I have more stuff to buy 🤔🤣

It would be good to hear about the process, the materials used & where they are from & can you buy it in kit form, do you use a hardener or not, whats the best way to store them after being made for longevity, can you re melt ones that are bitten in half or ripped to make into new ones etc?

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

I wish I hadnt seen this thread cause now I have more stuff to buy 🤔🤣

It would be good to hear about the process, the materials used & where they are from & can you buy it in kit form, do you use a hardener or not, whats the best way to store them after being made for longevity, can you re melt ones that are bitten in half or ripped to make into new ones etc?

Waza did a pretty in depth write up on making your own plastics a while back if its any help to you.

• Thanks 2

For injection moulds you will need a plastic syringe 10 ml with the end cut off and the hole in the bottom drilled a little.

📍microwave for use on on plastics

📍a mould of the plastic you are using and there are plenty available

📍plastisol in soft medium or hard

📍Colouring and glitter.

The plastisol when shaken and mixed or stirred is self hardening. A PYREX jug and you are set.

Pour the plastisol into jug around 50 to 60 mls and place in microwave for 30 sec then stir and repeat 30 secs and stir.

By this time the plastic will be thicker and clearer and now 30 more seconds should see the plastic turning clear and runny. This is best stirred and mixed with old stainless knife all metal.

After stirring add a small amount of colour and stir and add more till desired colour and then add heat resistant glitter as needed in what colour you like and stir.

Make sure the plastic is still runny and with your syringe suck up around half a 10 mil syringe for small lures and with your mould securely clamped together insert the syringe right inside the hole and press down slowly until it becomes firm to press and remove syringe.

Now wait a few minutes and open your mould to see your new placcy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Another 2 moulds for 2 inch grubs have appeared!!

Today swordie made about 100 

I looked up the cost of one packet of 8 grubs  $10 - $12 OMG

4A4C8DE6-72AD-485E-84D0-63497F957937.jpeg

The pink one is the store bought one!

2D6D6A60-E174-458E-B1DD-5C4792A99714.jpeg

Yes Donna he's saved a fortune. I love soft plastics, how good they "swim" and , more importantly, how deadly effective they are. Good job Stewy. bn

• Like 1

On inspiration from this post, I took a quick look at kits and couldn't keep the page open for any longer than five seconds!

The prospect of a side-hobby is just too dangerous! :D 

Question for the Swordies: have you tried impregnating these with salt and attractants? Or would this mess with the quality of the plastics? Also, can you find buoyant and 10x tough materials like with the Z-mans?

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Another 2 moulds for 2 inch grubs have appeared!!

Today swordie made about 100 

I looked up the cost of one packet of 8 grubs  $10 - $12 OMG

4A4C8DE6-72AD-485E-84D0-63497F957937.jpeg

The pink one is the store bought one!

2D6D6A60-E174-458E-B1DD-5C4792A99714.jpeg

Great job. Well done!!! They look so similar to those made on pro/factory equipment. Hope to see also 'LJ-test' results report.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

On inspiration from this post, I took a quick look at kits and couldn't keep the page open for any longer than five seconds!

The prospect of a side-hobby is just too dangerous! :D 

Question for the Swordies: have you tried impregnating these with salt and attractants? Or would this mess with the quality of the plastics? Also, can you find buoyant and 10x tough materials like with the Z-mans?

The Minister for Finance has not approved attractants or salts as yet :wife:

The Zman plastic does not play well with others (melts). The plastisol in soft configuration is very elastic and does play well with other plastics :) Buoyancy to be tested but the jigs need to be attached

The kits are available and very good but expensive. Swordie has grabbed his from other suppliers all over the world. 

No more to be spent on this until we can get in a boat and trial them!!!! 

• Haha 4

• 5 months later...

Wow! Amazing job on the sp's!

Any updates on how successful these have been for you?

I'm also curious about the question that greenhornet raised. Is possible to melt old, damaged, placcies and remold them into a new sp?

Is it possible to do spot repairs on torn soft vibes for example by refilling holes with fresh plastisol?

5 hours ago, undy said:

Wow! Amazing job on the sp's!

Any updates on how successful these have been for you?

I'm also curious about the question that greenhornet raised. Is possible to melt old, damaged, placcies and remold them into a new sp?

Is it possible to do spot repairs on torn soft vibes for example by refilling holes with fresh plastisol?

Yes we have caught lots of fish using them -  Estuary Perch, Bream, Flathead, Tailor and Redfin to name a few.

It is possible to melt them back down to make new ones. Repairing old ones are cold to hot and it may not adhere. Really no need to repair when you can make literally 100's. 

He gave away handfuls when were away recently. He had hundreds of them. 

Below are links to 2 posts. One is a video testing the home made lures with Shroom and the other is our recent trip down south catching Redfin.