Pandemic Perspective

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

Many of us are stuck in lockdown separated from our friends and loved ones. Many of us reside in LGAs that are nowhere near water and our favourite pass-times. It's easy to fall into frustration, depression and anger with authorities and the current situation. These are trying times. But, I was listening to the radio the other morning and happened to hear Ben Fordham's comments about the current pandemic. 

I think he really brings home some perspective to what we are facing, compared to the last similar pandemic back in 1918 - the spanish flu.  Our earlier generations faced this threat not that far back. They faced it with so much less than we have today. I feel Ben's comments certainly add some valuable Perspective to this Pandemic.

I have reproduced below the 4min audio. Have a listen over a cuppa and let me know what you think.

Cheers Zoran

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Post approved
  • Like 2

This is nothing compared to what people went through over the centuries before us.

A few weeks of us and  kids being stuck inside isn't going to kill us.

What gets me is people whinging they can't go to the pub,gym,hair dressers etc.

People are losing everything including their lives and these imbecilles are whinging oh my poor kid is stuck inside or I can't get my nails done, etc,etc.

Personally for me I count  my blessings I still have a job and my family is all alive.Everything else doesn't even come into the equation.

Not much has changed really for my family as we don't do much anyway.I know each person/family is different but geez whinging about not being able to go to some of these places will get you shot down if you whinge to me about it.

Intrested to hear others thoughts too.

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 9

One thing Fab

21 hours ago, Fab1 said:

What gets me is people whinging they can't go to the hair dressers 

Well Fab, I would like a haircut. I am nearing (well, nearly) my younger days at high school and for a few years after, when I only had one haircut a year. With the front receding a bit and thinning a bit on top, long hair does not suit. 🤣

• Haha 4

Yup. I can 2nd that. So last lockdown,  I ended up with hairy-faciatis …but Maria found and administered a “vaccine” specifically for me and I don’t think that’s coming back.

This lockdown I’m in real danger of enhanced  1970s mullet-itis …. and Maria has mentioned she is dangerously close to seriously-need-colour-itis. 

i guess the larrikin spirit is alive and kicking in us still. 1970s here we come.  

Cheers and stay safe all  

Zoran 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

One thing Fab

Well Fab, I would like a haircut. I am nearing (well, nearly) my younger days at high school and for a few years after, when I only had one haircut a year. With the front receding a bit and thinning a bit on top, long hair does not suit. 🤣

At least you're not growing a beard on your head like this bloke.

20210829_091134.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yowie said:

One thing Fab

I am not sure how your wife has her hair done but I am going crazy. I am on my hairdresser's "emergency list" already and even declared my proof of vax. She said she will be working day and night for a while to get everyone seen to.

I now know why I still colour my hair. It is similar to when we were in the outback for months and I just left it. Grey coming through my short style is now almost an afro.

Swordie keeps begging me to get the clippers onto his hair. Too afraid to do that. That is a skill I never mastered. 

On a serious note I haven't seen my family (2 daughters and granddaughter who I have not met yet). One daughter for over 2 years who has been pregnant and produced our now 1 year old granddaughter and the other a registered nurse, since Mother's Day. 

.......... but I just need a haircut :074:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

I am not sure how your wife has her hair done but I am going crazy. I am on my hairdresser's "emergency list" already and even declared my proof of vax. She said she will be working day and night for a while to get everyone seen to.

I now know why I still colour my hair. It is similar to when we were in the outback for months and I just left it. Grey coming through my short style is now almost an afro.

Swordie keeps begging me to get the clippers onto his hair. Too afraid to do that. That is a skill I never mastered. 

On a serious note I haven't seen my family (2 daughters and granddaughter who I have not met yet). One daughter for over 2 years who has been pregnant and produced our now 1 year old granddaughter and the other a registered nurse, since Mother's Day. 

.......... but I just need a haircut :074:

My wife used to get it coloured, now, she does not care anymore. Just natural colour, slightly more white than grey. 🤣 Now keeps it reasonably short, though she can tie a short pigtail.

• Like 1

More perspective

https://www.2gb.com/only-covid-matters-ben-fordham-highlights-deaths-other-than-coronavirus/

200,000 Australians have unfortunately passed away from other causes in the same period 1000 people have passed away from Covid 19!

4500 of those from suicide!!

The real sociological impacts from this virus but more importantly the government decisions & actions will be felt for years to come.

You can try & dangle a tiny carrot in front of people & think that helps but the restriction of human rights has a far worse an impact!

Edited by kingie chaser

12 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

More perspective

https://www.2gb.com/only-covid-matters-ben-fordham-highlights-deaths-other-than-coronavirus/

200,000 Australians have unfortunately passed away from other causes in the same period 1000 people have passed away for Covid 19!

You are right there. The local chemist is down on business, no-one much getting sick any more, bugger all flu sickness, and not selling much at all.

From 2 different sources, the undertaking business is down on sales. Not too many people dying, no-one much buying coffins, bugger all funerals, coffin makers not making many coffins. At least there is something positive about not dying.

53 minutes ago, Yowie said:

You are right there. The local chemist is down on business, no-one much getting sick any more, bugger all flu sickness, and not selling much at all.

From 2 different sources, the undertaking business is down on sales. Not too many people dying, no-one much buying coffins, bugger all funerals, coffin makers not making many coffins. At least there is something positive about not dying.

🤔

Interesting commentary. Reality check: People in 1918 were generally MUCH tougher than we are now. The statistics show that everyday life was much harder than it is today. Expectations were different too. People from 100 years ago lived simpler lives and were conditioned to "do as they were told by their leaders". Medicine and scientific capabilities were very basic compared to what we experience today. Many today believe that they have the right to do whatever they wish, whatever suits them and they're not interested in the big picture or "the general good". We will get through this (in time) and it is going to be tough. Each of us need to dig in and show some Aussie spirit... that includes thinking about others and having a bit of trust in the decision makers. bn

• Like 5