Animal Cruelty -new Legislation, have your say

This is something SUPER important for all fishers, hunters, pet owners, farmers,-in fact anyone who has interaction with animals, large parts of this have already been hijacked by the AJP/Greens . This really is "thin end of the wedge" stuff-have your say

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/animals-and-livestock/animal-welfare/animal-welfare-reform/discussion-paper

• Thanks 1

the really frightening bit is the 5 freedoms of animals-these are vague and "glossy" and at some point will be used against fishing-as will the newly added bit about "harm"-everyone needs to accept that by eating meat (of any kind), fishing ,hunting, eating grain producrs (think of all the pests that are killed) , we are part of nature , not seperate from it. Whats to say C&R fishing wont get added to the list later on.

• Like 2

Ok so how long will it take once these laws are legislated for the animal protection lobby , PETA and the anti fishing lobby to claim that fishing is causing unnecessary physiological, physiological harm and distress to fish ? How long before they claim that catch and release is doing the same thing and therefore unnecessary ?

As far as I’m concerned fish ,squid , crustaceans and the like shouldn’t be in this legislation.

4B7A0D7C-BFD3-47C8-AC84-480D08EF53CE.thumb.png.da2b0623784a3e7ef48e7a2e3fbf04b5.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PaddyT said:

the really frightening bit is the 5 freedoms of animals-these are vague and "glossy" and at some point will be used against fishing-as will the newly added bit about "harm"-everyone needs to accept that by eating meat (of any kind), fishing ,hunting, eating grain producrs (think of all the pests that are killed) , we are part of nature , not seperate from it. Whats to say C&R fishing wont get added to the list later on.

Exactly Paddy- once any of these type (or any type) of legislations become law, additions/changes are always on the cards and by approving this/these proposals, it just opens up an unwanted door for stakeholders that is always going to be used by activists to their advantage.

Just my opinion, but fishing has always had various opposing groups that WILL use ALL the 'loopholes' not covered EXACTLY by word of law to try and limit/restrict/change the way we conduct our sport and this, just like the marine park proposal, is another way of opening up that gateway.

Like PaddyT says, it's what could be added to the list that concerns us all

...was watching one of those big truck documentaries where a kangaroo was injured by a vehicle and when a trucky saw this animal in distress he ran over it to "humanely" end it's suffering. It's what has to be done sometimes. If you physically approach a roo you are likely to get sliced to pieces if you try to man handle it to get to a vet or similar and will most probably put down anyway.....

Jim

1 minute ago, seasponge said:

Oh god, here we go again. Cue the Shooters & Fishers party and every facebook doomsayer to start spreading false claims of banning livebaiting. Thought we went through this 6 months ago!

They will never stop, just like the proposal to turn the NSW coast line into a marine park, got rejected but it will come up again.

Yep I'd have to say more so in NSW your personal freedoms are being encroached upon upon on a daily basis & if you just lay down they will walk right over the top of you!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seasponge said:

Oh god, here we go again. Cue the Shooters & Fishers party and every facebook doomsayer to start spreading false claims of banning livebaiting. Thought we went through this 6 months ago!

mm-wonder how well the Sydney Marine Park would of gone for all of us if the SFFP and the Rec Fishing Alliance hadnt of scared the life out of the less thinking members of the LNP-and as for being a doomsayer-ive been writting letters and emails to my local member and the minister and the premier for the last 10 years. There is a very vocal and persistant part of society that simply will not stop until fishing,hunting and any other animal interaction is banned. Enjoy your steak while you can 

• Like 2

I've been reading about this on FB. While there is some merit to some parts of this other aspects of it are worrying. I suspect that it could be a wedge to get more restrictive laws in place further down the road. The one thing about it though is that the National Party is actually sponsoring this proposed legislation in state parliament. I can't figure out why as yet.

The Hunters Federation has reviewed the legislation and there analysis of it is here:

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/sfp2015/pages/766/attachments/original/1630201449/AHI_Animal_Welfare_Discussion_Paper_Response_.pdf?1630201449&fbclid=IwAR2hM1huTwpDLjqIEaSr-733ZhzlFjpeU6j7VwnCDQyBYa2fAUZVnnodE5g

I also saw this post by someone who may have a legal background:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/531383587069186/posts/1847093148831550

While more focused on hunting he does have this opinion about fishing:

RECREATIONAL FISHING WOULD BE LARGELY BANNED
• Just fishing for fun would not be allowed, as it is ‘unnecessary’ unless the species is a pest such as redfin or European Carp.
• Fishing for Native Species could be permitted if numbers ever became problematic.
• Catch and release of any fish would be classed as abuse.
• Trout stocking would come under immediate attack, and then there would be a policy conflict between the animal rights movement between ‘animal rights activists and ‘conservationists’ over the fate of any self-sustaining introduced fish stock such as trout, with any fishing focussing upon eradication.

Also if you look at Emma Hursts FB page on this it's pretty clear that they are not our friends and would be happy to ban most forms of outdoor sports and animal husbandry.

It's something we each need to make our minds up about.  For me it's a no as we would suffer for it at some time.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by Jiggy
Correcting spelling
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, seasponge said:

I don’t understand your logic on this one , you are condemning the people who are trying to stop us from having some stupid  law jammed down our throats .

If it wasn’t for groups like SFFP and the various others on social media bringing these reviews to our attention in time for us to make comments on them we wouldn’t know what hit us until it was too late , that is exactly what the people who are pushing for these changes want - us to know nothing until it is too late .

I think you may be missing the point , it is not about banning live bait but the subtle changes to the meaning of things like cruelty  , harm , pain , suffering and adding things like physiological and psychological harm to the legislation . While  these terms are all fine and well for most creatures , I don’t think it should be for fish ,crustaceans ,molluscs and the like . The biggest problem is with the way this legislation is worded as it leaves a great many things open to personal interpretation of the law . The Animal liberationist and anti fishing lobby will stop at nothing until we have lost our rights and freedoms .

• Like 1

Also if you look at Emma Hursts FB page on this it's pretty clear that they are not our friends and would be happy to ban most forms of outdoor sports and animal husbandry.

There is two things on there that really disturb me and two was all I could bring myself to read .

She claims that she is fighting for the fish caught at the bottom of a trawler net and being crushed to death - So she really wants to stop Australians eating meat and seafood and convert us into grass eaters. I’m surprised the commercial sector hasn’t had a go at her for that one 

She is concerned about the welfare of an octopus that is being bashed against the rocks - i the Occy is brain spiked first it doesn’t feel anything and this technique of tenderising has be used for centuries .

The next thing she  will be trying is to ban power boats because the noise of the motor is giving the fish a headache 🤣

• Like 2

5 hours ago, motiondave said:

I'd like to see how all this will affect their precious economy. 

How will this "help" businesses like fishing tackle shops, bait shops, clothing, accessories shops, private and commercial? 

Fishing Charters, holiday destinations, etc..

What about marine mechanics? There would be less of them as less boats would be sold. No one would pay for fishing licence therefore no extra income to support any marine or even recreational boating improvement.

And of course the meat industry and that being stopped.thats a lot of people, equipment, business. 

What about all the feral animals that would take over? Does that mean the culling of these animals would stop? And they can destroy vegetables stocks?

Is a new sector of tourism to be put in place instead?

How is destroying certain economy going to help? Especially as I've seen no proposal to help replace the money lost from a lot of sectors....

Get this idea into your head-the ALP dont want fishing or outdoor activity (other that some vague promise of ecotourism) because they need to pander to the Greens. The LNP dont want fishing or outdoor activity because they regard us as the great unwashed and we might interfere with property values (you know-who wants to look at a fisherman from the waterfront mansion !!!)-if you accept this then you will start to realise that the only option we actually have is to stop biting each other and vote for parties that are REALLY pro fishing (and pro access-because this will become more and more of an issue as public space gets sold or given to private parties). Write letters, phone your local member -most of the time these guys dont even think these issues through -explain to them that fishing /hunting whatever is part of your lifestyle that you will change your vote for. The rally against the Sydney marine park worked because it made pollies from the LNP realise there are a lot of us who are genuinely passionate about our recreation . What you say about the dollar value is also very true-rec fishing brings an astounding amount of dollars into the economy -far more than rubbish like "eco tourism " or more concrete activities like scuba diving and again pollies need to be made aware. 

Making whoever is in Government realise the economic impact that banning fishing would have and how much revenue they will lose will soon have them turn tail and Run for the hills  ! No fishing = no need for fishing gear, camping gear, 4wds, boats , caravans , holidays in regional areas , charter trips , accommodation , airfares , less money spent on food , fuel , licences ,registrations but the most important thing to them is the loss of votes at the next election !
Fishos are only one of the losers in this deal they are doing with the animal rights liberation army and the economic loss will be felt far and wide - especially in regional areas that rely on fishos lobbing down for a fishing holiday .

The minister for Fisheries should resign immediately IMHO !

• 2 weeks later...

I guess most fisho’s will be aware by now of the plan by the Animal Justice Party (Emma Hurst) to actively oppose any activity that results in harm, distress or pain - either psychological, physical or emotional, to animals including fish.
“Animals” includes both vertebrates and invertebrates. For we fisho’s this includes all fish. The DPI fisheries classification of fish, includes both finned and non-fined “fish”; cephalopods (squid, octopus), nippers, yabbies, worms etc. So the likely scenario will eventually be that bait won’t be permitted to be collected (either commercially or by individual fishermen). The use of any live bait will result in prosecution and even fishing with lures will not be permitted, as catching a fish reults in distress to the animal.

The intent of the AJP is to initially provide an “exclusion” to fishing, however as this is an exclusion, my understanding is that this can be removed without parliamentary debate or discussion once the bill has been enacted (a bit of a loophole in our legislative process). If the legislation is passed, the most likely next step is to remove the exclusion to fishing and our pastime / recreation; and for me, way of life, will be significantly impacted.

This proposed Bill will also impact my farming activity also (use of sheep and cattle dogs to manage sheep (cause distress to the animals being herded), pet owners (any carnivorous pets such as dogs and cats as these eat meat and an animal can’t be killed for food without “harm”.

We were active to “Stop The Lockout”, I would encourage all Raiders’ to read and decide if you want to support the future of our pastime / recreation/ way of life.

The survey and submissions period has been extended for the controversial NSW DPI Animal Welfare Reform discussion paper, which could have real implications for recreational anglers.

Genesis 1: 28 “ And God blessed them and said “ Be fruitful and increase in number; Fill the earth and subdue it,. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground”

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 2

What I want to know is how this affects things like tagging ,scientific research and electro fishing that helps to rid our waterways of noxious pests like carp ?

Surely if they get their way things like the Million dollar Barra comp will have to be stopped because sticking a tag in a fish would surely be deemed as causing harm , pain or distress to a fish .

One thing to remember is that there are only a handful of them and millions of us fishos so we need to start screaming at the government and start now - in normal times I would be calling for a protest but that is out of the question due to covid but we can still do it via email.

Adam Marshall Email.

northerntablelands@parliament.nsw.gov.au

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leonardgid said:

i dont think it will ever have any effect on us as  rec fishos  no matter how hard they try  

Umm-if the SFFP and the Stop the Lockout hadnt of jumped in we would have vastly restricted fishing access all around Sydney-the legislation as they put it could stop fishing with the stroke of a pen -and virtually any other human/animal interaction-rec fishos are incredibly disjointed, lazy and complacent when it comes to protecting their rights, access and hobby and the AJP and their kind WILL NOT STOP until they get their way. 

• Like 3