Animal Cruelty -new Legislation, have your say

• 2 weeks later...

I guess most fisho’s will be aware by now of the plan by the Animal Justice Party (Emma Hurst) to actively oppose any activity that results in harm, distress or pain - either psychological, physical or emotional, to animals including fish.
“Animals” includes both vertebrates and invertebrates. For we fisho’s this includes all fish. The DPI fisheries classification of fish, includes both finned and non-fined “fish”; cephalopods (squid, octopus), nippers, yabbies, worms etc. So the likely scenario will eventually be that bait won’t be permitted to be collected (either commercially or by individual fishermen). The use of any live bait will result in prosecution and even fishing with lures will not be permitted, as catching a fish reults in distress to the animal.

The intent of the AJP is to initially provide an “exclusion” to fishing, however as this is an exclusion, my understanding is that this can be removed without parliamentary debate or discussion once the bill has been enacted (a bit of a loophole in our legislative process). If the legislation is passed, the most likely next step is to remove the exclusion to fishing and our pastime / recreation; and for me, way of life, will be significantly impacted.

This proposed Bill will also impact my farming activity also (use of sheep and cattle dogs to manage sheep (cause distress to the animals being herded), pet owners (any carnivorous pets such as dogs and cats as these eat meat and an animal can’t be killed for food without “harm”.

We were active to “Stop The Lockout”, I would encourage all Raiders’ to read and decide if you want to support the future of our pastime / recreation/ way of life.

The survey and submissions period has been extended for the controversial NSW DPI Animal Welfare Reform discussion paper, which could have real implications for recreational anglers.

Genesis 1: 28 “ And God blessed them and said “ Be fruitful and increase in number; Fill the earth and subdue it,. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground”

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 2

What I want to know is how this affects things like tagging ,scientific research and electro fishing that helps to rid our waterways of noxious pests like carp ?

Surely if they get their way things like the Million dollar Barra comp will have to be stopped because sticking a tag in a fish would surely be deemed as causing harm , pain or distress to a fish .

One thing to remember is that there are only a handful of them and millions of us fishos so we need to start screaming at the government and start now - in normal times I would be calling for a protest but that is out of the question due to covid but we can still do it via email.

Adam Marshall Email.

northerntablelands@parliament.nsw.gov.au

• Like 1

18 hours ago, leonardgid said:

i dont think it will ever have any effect on us as  rec fishos  no matter how hard they try  

Umm-if the SFFP and the Stop the Lockout hadnt of jumped in we would have vastly restricted fishing access all around Sydney-the legislation as they put it could stop fishing with the stroke of a pen -and virtually any other human/animal interaction-rec fishos are incredibly disjointed, lazy and complacent when it comes to protecting their rights, access and hobby and the AJP and their kind WILL NOT STOP until they get their way. 

• Like 3

AND-news on the Stop The Lockout FB page today-it appears Marine Parks are back on the agenda-so as i said before our opponents WILL NEVER STOP-sitting back and being non political about your choice of lifestyle/recreation/access to nature (thats the real problem we face) is not really an option any more-sign every petition , write to your member (just in the final stages of having a meeting with mine), STOP STICKING YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND-once hunting is gone, fishing will go, meat eating next etc etc etc.

• Like 1

This is absolutely "the wedge".  I have been waiting for this for years and the only thing that surprises me is that it is mixed up with all the other animal welfare issues.  It is such a broad brush that my greatest fear is that rec & especially sportsfishing will be "sacrificed" to please the animal liberationists so that the other farming stuff will be left alone.  /as PaddyT said, don't expect the ALP to help us anglers.  DO NOT BE COMPLACENT!!!

19 hours ago, Ozzybass said:

This is absolutely "the wedge".  I have been waiting for this for years and the only thing that surprises me is that it is mixed up with all the other animal welfare issues.  It is such a broad brush that my greatest fear is that rec & especially sportsfishing will be "sacrificed" to please the animal liberationists so that the other farming stuff will be left alone.  /as PaddyT said, don't expect the ALP to help us anglers.  DO NOT BE COMPLACENT!!!

Unfortunately its not just the ALP-the LNP have been complicit in this latest legislation-the majors cannot be trusted

They are looking to ban any activity that causes an animal/fish physical or psychological distress. So hooking a fish, tagging a fish, using a fish as live bait, putting a fish into a livewell for release later and pretty well any other fishing related activity could be banned. Now at the moment there is an allowance that fishing is excluded, but that won't last long.

They will also prevent farmers ear tagging their stock, branding them, desexing them, transporting them, sending them to slaughter or anything else really as it can cause the animals psychological harm.

Basically we are all supposed to turn vegan is the final aim of the proposed legislation. Act or  we will all be in trouble.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 11:40 AM, dirvin21 said:

I had a read, it actually seems like a reasonable reform, fishing and fishing with live bait is still mentioned as allowed in section 8

Yes, I have read the same that live bait will be still permitted, and was kind of surprised that people keep stating opposite.

As for  reasonability of the proposal -  in wrong hands we will all become fly fishers at best, or vegans at worst. On the other hand, situations like when teens cut and use piece of alive fish (without dispatching it first) for bait seem disturbing to me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, savit said:

On the other hand, situations like when teens cut and use piece of alive fish (without dispatching it first) for bait seem disturbing to me. 

Couldn't agree more

• Like 1

I think both you guys are missing the point of why this legislation is dangerous-it has been written in such a way that live baiting is exempt but can be included with the swipe of a pen-it doesnt need to be put in front of parliament again after its in place. You raise a point about cutting into a live fish-how is that more "barbaric" than hooking up a livebait-actually how is more barbaric that what already happens in nature-things like psychological damage is going to be included in the new act-how is that going to be measured. Both you guys are catch and release exponents-other non fishos might view that as torturing a fish for your own amusement, in fact i question catch and release fishing myself and these days find myself doing less and less of it-i catch a feed and then i go home (and i aint no greenie-i hunt my own meat). SO-before thinking this is an over reaction -have a look at what could come down the pipeline if this legislation gets passed.

From what I heard on the radio today from the SFFP head honcho is that the petition already has over 5k signatures but needs 20k to get it into parliament which they reckon they will get easily . Apparently the Nats are a little dismayed as to why Marshal has sided with the animal liberation mob as the bill he is trying to get passed will have massive implications for the cattle and sheep industry and just about every other type of rural producer and they mostly vote for the Nats . Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets punted very soon 🤞🤞🤞.

So don’t feel disheartened as we have a few allies on this - the fishing community is not the only  faction trying to drive this stupid legislation into the ground .

P.S 

Thanks for the link Dave ! I wouldn’t have known about it otherwise !

• Like 1

Geez, I wonder how animals will be slaughtered now for halal or Kosher food if this bill passes??

Oh yeh, religion will be a genuine reason for allowing live animals to have their throats cut while alive to be bled out :whistling:

We just need to turn fishing & hunting into a religion & then all will be acceptable.

Some may say that fishing is a religion....................................... as we do it religiously 😜

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2021 at 10:58 PM, XD351 said:

Always thought fishing was a religion 😀

Yep, & the salt & briny is our church 😁

Or if your a freshy as well then that's your place of worship to 🙂

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, JonD said:

Starting to hear of peoples Youtube channels being closed that show fishing under YouTubes new policies.

Any well known fishing channels?

12 hours ago, savit said:

Any well known fishing channels?

I believe some of the UK well known ones have been taken down. Im not sure what ones they are exactly, just going of what Im hearing from my old fishing buddies over there. 

• Like 1