Animal Cruelty -new Legislation, have your say

AND-news on the Stop The Lockout FB page today-it appears Marine Parks are back on the agenda-so as i said before our opponents WILL NEVER STOP-sitting back and being non political about your choice of lifestyle/recreation/access to nature (thats the real problem we face) is not really an option any more-sign every petition , write to your member (just in the final stages of having a meeting with mine), STOP STICKING YOUR HEAD IN THE SAND-once hunting is gone, fishing will go, meat eating next etc etc etc.

• Like 1

This is absolutely "the wedge".  I have been waiting for this for years and the only thing that surprises me is that it is mixed up with all the other animal welfare issues.  It is such a broad brush that my greatest fear is that rec & especially sportsfishing will be "sacrificed" to please the animal liberationists so that the other farming stuff will be left alone.  /as PaddyT said, don't expect the ALP to help us anglers.  DO NOT BE COMPLACENT!!!

19 hours ago, Ozzybass said:

This is absolutely "the wedge".  I have been waiting for this for years and the only thing that surprises me is that it is mixed up with all the other animal welfare issues.  It is such a broad brush that my greatest fear is that rec & especially sportsfishing will be "sacrificed" to please the animal liberationists so that the other farming stuff will be left alone.  /as PaddyT said, don't expect the ALP to help us anglers.  DO NOT BE COMPLACENT!!!

Unfortunately its not just the ALP-the LNP have been complicit in this latest legislation-the majors cannot be trusted

They are looking to ban any activity that causes an animal/fish physical or psychological distress. So hooking a fish, tagging a fish, using a fish as live bait, putting a fish into a livewell for release later and pretty well any other fishing related activity could be banned. Now at the moment there is an allowance that fishing is excluded, but that won't last long.

They will also prevent farmers ear tagging their stock, branding them, desexing them, transporting them, sending them to slaughter or anything else really as it can cause the animals psychological harm.

Basically we are all supposed to turn vegan is the final aim of the proposed legislation. Act or  we will all be in trouble.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 11:40 AM, dirvin21 said:

I had a read, it actually seems like a reasonable reform, fishing and fishing with live bait is still mentioned as allowed in section 8

Yes, I have read the same that live bait will be still permitted, and was kind of surprised that people keep stating opposite.

As for  reasonability of the proposal -  in wrong hands we will all become fly fishers at best, or vegans at worst. On the other hand, situations like when teens cut and use piece of alive fish (without dispatching it first) for bait seem disturbing to me. 

• Like 1

I think both you guys are missing the point of why this legislation is dangerous-it has been written in such a way that live baiting is exempt but can be included with the swipe of a pen-it doesnt need to be put in front of parliament again after its in place. You raise a point about cutting into a live fish-how is that more "barbaric" than hooking up a livebait-actually how is more barbaric that what already happens in nature-things like psychological damage is going to be included in the new act-how is that going to be measured. Both you guys are catch and release exponents-other non fishos might view that as torturing a fish for your own amusement, in fact i question catch and release fishing myself and these days find myself doing less and less of it-i catch a feed and then i go home (and i aint no greenie-i hunt my own meat). SO-before thinking this is an over reaction -have a look at what could come down the pipeline if this legislation gets passed.

From what I heard on the radio today from the SFFP head honcho is that the petition already has over 5k signatures but needs 20k to get it into parliament which they reckon they will get easily . Apparently the Nats are a little dismayed as to why Marshal has sided with the animal liberation mob as the bill he is trying to get passed will have massive implications for the cattle and sheep industry and just about every other type of rural producer and they mostly vote for the Nats . Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets punted very soon 🤞🤞🤞.

So don’t feel disheartened as we have a few allies on this - the fishing community is not the only  faction trying to drive this stupid legislation into the ground .

P.S 

Thanks for the link Dave ! I wouldn’t have known about it otherwise !

Geez, I wonder how animals will be slaughtered now for halal or Kosher food if this bill passes??

Oh yeh, religion will be a genuine reason for allowing live animals to have their throats cut while alive to be bled out :whistling:

We just need to turn fishing & hunting into a religion & then all will be acceptable.

Some may say that fishing is a religion....................................... as we do it religiously 😜

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, savit said:

Any well known fishing channels?

I believe some of the UK well known ones have been taken down. Im not sure what ones they are exactly, just going of what Im hearing from my old fishing buddies over there. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 9:08 AM, JonD said:

I believe some of the UK well known ones have been taken down. Im not sure what ones they are exactly, just going of what Im hearing from my old fishing buddies over there. 

Looks like not just in UK now.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-22/albany-fisherman-cops-temporary-youtube-ban/100482240

• Like 2

• 2 months later...