Lockdown brews

Little_Flatty

HI all,

I know there are a few home brewers amongst the raider community, so surely there is a bit of brewing going on in lockdown :beersmile:.

I've recently had a smoked Manuka stout finish conditioning and have a pacific ale about a week behind it (will be good as the weather warms up even more). Been working on this recipe over the past year, it's interesting to compare how they go as I tweak it. I actually think my palate has changed over time - maybe my tastes have become more subtle - so I might dial back the proportion of smoked grain a notch next time.

image.png.ab87880972b28d7c76a3f2198668ef59.png

We've been keeping an eye on the local mulberry trees lately. If I can rescue a crop from going into a pie, I might do up a mulberry sour (though I might just let a few pies come out of the oven first :D).

So anyone else been brewing a bit? Let's see them!

Mike

Edited by Little_Flatty
  • Like 5

Looks like you're seriously into brewing Mike. Undoubtedly that's the best way to go about it. I used to make home brew beer but with a kit. One thing I did experiment with was substituting honey for the sugars. Over a period of time I experimented by varying the amount of honey in the mix. Some of the results were very easy on the taste buds. Luckily, I knew someone who kept bee hives so getting the raw product was easily achievable. I'm not a big drinker so I gave it away. I now buy by the carton: usually old or stout type beers for the Winter and Lager type styles in the Summer.

Bottoms up, bn

• Like 1

That certainly looks good and as Neil said you look like you're right into it. Good stuff.

I would agree with these sort of Beers you taste changes at times, that's why there's so many out there and they are for the taste. Love a good heavy Beer or Stout in the colder months but I can only drink one or two then I go to the big brands for a couple more

As for Quaffing Beers I recon that's more for the drink and the result but. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Looks like you're seriously into brewing Mike. Undoubtedly that's the best way to go about it. I used to make home brew beer but with a kit. One thing I did experiment with was substituting honey for the sugars. Over a period of time I experimented by varying the amount of honey in the mix. Some of the results were very easy on the taste buds. Luckily, I knew someone who kept bee hives so getting the raw product was easily achievable. I'm not a big drinker so I gave it away. I now buy by the carton: usually old or stout type beers for the Winter and Lager type styles in the Summer.

Bottoms up, bn

Thanks Neil, I have used honey on occasion as well. Would love to have a handy honey supply like your mate!

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice looking head........................ the beer looks god to 😁

I used to do a bit but haven't done it in years.

I always thought that the maturing time was at least 4-6weeks?

I generally spend 2 weeks conditioning, occasionally I need to wait longer if carbonation is slow. In this particular case I might leave the rest of the batch for a bit longer so the smokiness mellows out a little, and also I have a couple of bottles of this batch already reserved for friends for a post-lockdown tipple.

I am sure your beers would have been good, owing to your culinary skills.

Edited by Little_Flatty