Help! Cracked hull 😖

Brendonjohnson

Hi all

Have been out of action for a while due to an unfortunate problem with my boat.

two long cracks along each side of the keel weld ☹️ Taking on water at a rate of about 1 full bucket every 40 minutes.

Does anyone know the reason for this happening? The boat is trailered correctly (on the trailer which was supplied with the boat which is unaltered) and it’s always been looked after.

I’ve already got the ball rolling with a warranty claim with bluefin but I have a feeling they will try to wiggle their way out of any responsibility. I’m sure the cracks are due to bad workmanship

would love some opinions so I could maybe get it fixed and get back fishing63DF7B31-409A-4C5D-9E60-211AFEA869A1.thumb.jpeg.82b5d039214563c35eb34d4a74a782cb.jpeg63DF7B31-409A-4C5D-9E60-211AFEA869A1.thumb.jpeg.82b5d039214563c35eb34d4a74a782cb.jpeg23F587C8-95E4-492C-9552-E2234E39F09F.thumb.jpeg.85e6aec99635e5dd4cdedc87b0c92d98.jpeg.

255F7241-2DF0-4621-BA4B-2DA5FEE25908.jpeg

For a fault ? How do you handle SPEED BUMPS ? , do you drive over them very slowly OR so the boat comes down on the trailer rollers with force ? . Seen a guy do this at the old botany ramp once and he was asking why his hull was cracked. ( always remember that conversation ) The boat doesn't have to lift off the trailer to cause this to happen, just the force of the boat slamming down hard on the rollers will cause it, even though the trailer is sprung.

Also don't winch the tie downs tight they are there just to stop the trailer from bouncing and moving on the trailer and don't need to be over tight.

Continuous chop will do it also.

Poor quality workmanship is difficult to prove, but Bluefin are a good company that take pride in their workmanship and warranty so I feel they will come to the party

To me it looks like it is a welding problem being cracked center of weld, IF it was any of the above conditions more than likely the crack would be to one side of the weld. This would be your main arguing point if it come to an argument .

Frank 

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

Dodgy welding mate .

Looks like in some spots they have tried to run  another bead over the top of a crap weld to either cover it up or fill in holes they have blown through - 2 & 3 below. The stitch weld in the top and middle photo is a shocker and they didn’t fill the weld crater in 1 below  , this becomes a stress point leading to a centreline crack of the weld . I would be interested in seeing the inside of the hull, I think you might find another horror story there too.

Cracks from vibration or flex usually run along the weakest point - the toe of the weld ( where the weld meets the hull plate ) as the weld is
thicker and stiffer  than the hull plate and there can be some undercut along here as well  ( shouldn’t be any on a good weld ) 

How old is the boat ? Trailer looks pretty new .

526E295D-E2B0-4CFF-9027-5768DA2EA65F.thumb.jpeg.f02bf25bdd32f2d2866698b0ef08d494.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brendonjohnson said:

Hi all

two long cracks along each side of the keel weld ☹️ Taking on water at a rate of about 1 full bucket every 40 minutes.

Does anyone know the reason for this happening? The boat is trailered correctly (on the trailer which was supplied with the boat which is unaltered) and it’s always been looked after.

I’ve already got the ball rolling with a warranty claim with bluefin but I have a feeling they will try to wiggle their way out of any responsibility. I’m sure the cracks are due to bad workmanship

would love some opinions so I could maybe get it fixed and get back fishing63DF7B31-409A-4C5D-9E60-211AFEA869A1.thumb.jpeg.82b5d039214563c35eb34d4a74a782cb.jpeg63DF7B31-409A-4C5D-9E60-211AFEA869A1.thumb.jpeg.82b5d039214563c35eb34d4a74a782cb.jpeg23F587C8-95E4-492C-9552-E2234E39F09F.thumb.jpeg.85e6aec99635e5dd4cdedc87b0c92d98.jpeg.

However welded that boat should be sacked.They are terrible.

6 hours ago, noelm said:

Very common place to crack, it's due to bad workmanship, poor trailer setup or hard use in chop, which one is open to debate.

If a boat can't go through chop it's not fit for purpose.I don't think I've ever been out and haven't had chop except a handful of times.Those are sxxt welds plain and simple.

5 hours ago, frankS said:

For a fault ? How do you handle SPEED BUMPS ? , do you drive over them very slowly OR so the boat comes down on the trailer rollers with force ? . Seen a guy do this at the old botany ramp once and he was asking why his hull was cracked. ( always remember that conversation ) The boat doesn't have to lift off the trailer to cause this to happen, just the force of the boat slamming down hard on the rollers will cause it, even though the trailer is sprung.

Also don't winch the tie downs tight they are there just to stop the trailer from bouncing and moving on the trailer and don't need to be over tight.

Continuous chop will do it also.

Poor quality workmanship is difficult to prove, but Bluefin are a good company that take pride in their workmanship and warranty so I feel they will come to the party

To me it looks like it is a welding problem being cracked center of weld, IF it was any of the above conditions more than likely the crack would be to one side of the weld. This would be your main arguing point if it come to an argument .

Frank 

Those welds are crap plain and simple.My boat has the same keel and I do up the transom straps tight and the winch hook tight and I mean tight.I drive over speed humps as I would normally in the car and mine hasn't cracked in 10yrs of owning it.

You can tell by the welds they are crap and tried to fix blunders.

26 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Dodgy welding mate .

Looks like in some spots they have tried to run  another bead over the top of a crap weld to either cover it up or fill in holes they have blown through - 2 & 3 below. The stitch weld in the top and middle photo is a shocker and they didn’t fill the weld crater in 1 below  , this becomes a stress point leading to a centreline crack of the weld . I would be interested in seeing the inside of the hull, I think you might find another horror story there too.

Cracks from vibration or flex usually run along the weakest point - the toe of the weld ( where the weld meets the hull plate ) as the weld is
thicker and stiffer  than the hull plate and there can be some undercut along here as well  ( shouldn’t be any on a good weld ) 

How old is the boat ? Trailer looks pretty new .

526E295D-E2B0-4CFF-9027-5768DA2EA65F.thumb.jpeg.f02bf25bdd32f2d2866698b0ef08d494.jpeg

I agree.Porridge looks better than those welds.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brendonjohnson said:

Hi all

My boats welds compared to yours for reference.It's like that down both sides.Take it back to them to fix.Don't take no for an answer.

20210907_114610.jpg

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 2

How did that even pass QA process??

Sorry but it looks like they let the 1st year apprentice have a crack at his 1st boat a bit to early.

To me that is more than just some cracks in the weld, it's shody workmanship all over.

Don't take it lying down!

• Like 2

If they give you the runaround I would first contact the BIA and see what they recommend - selling boats with these sorts of faults is downright dangerous and Bluefin are a member of the BIA which will definitely frown upon the practice and may deregister them .

The other options are Dept fair trading , they sold you a boat that clearly isn’t up to standard and not fit for purpose - they have an obligation to either replace or repair it .

NSW Maritime - pretty sure they will have a manufacturing permit or licence which would have been granted after the first of their boats were inspected to ensure they came up to standard - losing this permit will stop them in their tracks .

Did you buy this boat new from a bluefin dealer ? If so they also have an obligation to help you . 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

How did that even pass QA process??

Sorry but it looks like they let the 1st year apprentice have a crack at his 1st boat a bit to early.

To me that is more than just some cracks in the weld, it's shody workmanship all over.

Don't take it lying down!

More like some kid on work experience doing their first ever welds !

Makes me wonder how many other boats they made like this -I wouldn’t want to be a few miles of the coast and have to punch into a chop on the way home - probably end up visiting Davey Jones locker 😵💫

Weld looks like it was extruded out of a caulking gun by a drunken plumber 🤣

Edited by XD351
It was the keyboards fault I tell ya!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

Makes me wonder how many other boats they made like this -I wouldn’t want to be a few miles of the coast and have to punch into a chop on the way home - probably end up visiting Davey Jones locker 😵💫

Weld looks like it was extruded out of a caulking gun by a drunken plumber 🤣

Probably all of them.The quality of anything and everything these days is .....to years gone by.

• Like 1

Over the years I have seen several Ally boats split on the weld seam at the keel.

Look on  the link bellow and you will see what I mean.

They were fishing out wide, in the afternoon they were heading towards Botany bay when about 15 kn miles offshore  they called Mayday. We were heading to Port Jackson when the call came through and about 10 Kn miles further offshore. They were saying they would go down as they were taking lots off water .

We raced towards the coordinates given to Marine rescue.  When we got next to them they were bailing water with a 20 lt bucket and we could see the bilge pump outlet going. We stayed with them, very close next to their boat until a Police boat arrived . We then left them with the Police boat and headed back to Port Jackson.

When they put the boat on the trailer water was pouring out from the bottom. 

As you can see they made news.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/botany-boat-rescue-father-and-son-rescued-after-taking-on-water/d97f2053-a38e-45ba-a812-d4b23b2b04e8

https://publishednotices.asic.gov.au/browsesearch-notices/notice-details/Blue-Fin-Boats-Pty-Ltd-155018394/98d45cc5-ccec-41d1-ba1f-4ab91469e9a6

Are they still the same owners? Are the boats still made in Australia? 

I'm not sure I would accept a repair on that boat, in my view it looks like a major failure, if so you are entitled to replacement or refund provided you bought the boat new .

Your claim should be to the selling dealer if they are still in business. More than likely you will have to go to fair trading.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and keep us informed .

Don't be pressured to sign a confidentiality agreement in order to settle the case.

Hi all!

so got some responses yesterday and to put it simply they are trying to pin the blame back on myself 😂 can’t say I’m surprised! All they can come up with is that the wobble rollers are not positioned correctly? So they are really clutching at straws.

1 hour ago, Brendonjohnson said:

Hi all!

so got some responses yesterday and to put it simply they are trying to pin the blame back on myself 😂 can’t say I’m surprised! All they can come up with is that the wobble rollers are not positioned correctly? So they are really clutching at straws.

Did they actually inspect the boat on the trailer or are they just going off the pictures??

You said you bought the boat already set on the trailer, who did the trailer set up? Bluefin or another seller?? 

With those welds it would not matter where the wobble rollers were there only there to stop rocking on the trailer after all . Alloy boats need keel rollers to support the hull weight which you have. Definitely no weld procedure or qualified welders involved in that build. If worse comes to worse contact a welding inspector and get an inspection on the welds with documentation. Then you will have some real evidence to throw at them. Obviously this will initially  cost you some money though.

I am surprised that they are trying to blame roller set up as the cause, and if this is their strong point in their defense I don't think you would have any trouble winning a case with any sort of tribunal hearing.

Get it inspected by a welding fabricator, and pay them their time for inspection and get them to write something on paper and inform them that they may have to appear in some sort of hearing.

Worst case a metallurgist would soon bear fact to the poor quality of the weld.

Frank  

I would be contacting the people I mentioned in my first post , you need to find out the laws and regulations that the manufacturer is bound to then hold them to account .

If you bought it new as a package from a dealer  the dealer should be more than happy to help you - it isn’t their fault but I’m sure they wouldn’t want to sell any more of this brand if they know they are dodgy . 

• Like 1