Jigging Set Ups

Megalodon_Hunter

Hey All! I’m relatively new (aka full blown rookie) when it comes to Jigging. Once this lockdown is over, I’m looking to explore some of the outer reefs in search of some decent size Kings. I’m just wondering what gear I would need to achieve such a task (rod/reel combos, what lb line)? I have a Saragossa 10000 which I am currently using.  Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated as my dreams are currently much larger than my abilities/knowledge… Cheers!

All things come down to budget, you can easily spend 1K on a jigging rod down to $200 & reels from $400 to 1K so having an idea of budget will determine suggestions.

As for the Saragosa, well it has a 15kg drag & a decent line capacity for 50lb braid at over 300mtrs but maybe what lets it down is the gear ratio, usually for jigging the reels traditionally used are a higher ration like 6.2:1 or higher.

But if you are on a tight budget your Saragosa should do the job.

Some guys like to use overhead set up to which could be worth looking at, again if its within the budget.

• Thanks 1

Hey Megladon, the Saragossa is a solid robust reel, well up to the job, heavy and slow retrieve, so you’ll be tired by the end of the day.

If you are splurging on new gear the Penn Slammer 111 is superseded by the newer IV and they are going very cheaply at present. Also a heavy and robust reel, but I have an 8500 HG and the high gear has much faster retrieve (less effort for jigging and high speed spinning) and an insane drag that will pull up just about any (Sydney) kingfish.

As for rods, I have 2 Daiwa demon blood 65CJ rods and they have caught well over 1000 Kingies in the past 3 years and quite a few over the magic meter mark, they are a mid price rod, but beautiful action and the 6’6 is can be applied as a jigging and live bait rod. 
if your chasing Kingies, don’t underestimate their ability to pull string. I’ve had big blokes - newbies on my boat, on their knees because they can’t believe the fight they have and were afraid they were going to be pulled over the side. I usually use a minimum 65lb braid and 80lb fluro leader.

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 1