Brake calipers

Bloggsy

Time to replace brake pads on my Easytow alloy trailer which is fitted with hydraulic brakes they are Deemaxx calipers which are stainless steel and the pads are stainless steel backed but the pistons appear to be only mild steel.

My question is why would they fit stainless steel calipers with mild steel pistons?

Has anyone had experience with these calipers?

I have sent an email to Easytow and await their reply as to whether this is right and if replacement stainless steel pistons are available as well as a seal kit.

Rusted piston.jpg

12 minutes ago, Bloggsy said:

My question is why would they fit stainless steel calipers with mild steel pistons?

So they can sting you some something because the rest will last 20 times longer 😏.

Your right it doesn't make sense but if they make stuff that lasts forever they aren't going to get any parts sales?

Id be asking the manufacturer as well as the distributor! 

5 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

That’s a lot of corrosion. I’ve looped in @wrxhoon1 for comment… he uses ss brakes sourced from US they may well be the same ones. 
I also googled deemaxx - they definitely have ss pistons 

https://deemaxx.com/collections/caliper-components

cheers Zoran 

You think that one is bad have a look at this one.

And here is the reply that I got from Easytow:

Back in the day Stainless Deemax calipers were made without stainless steel pistons, the latest current model does however come with them and I would be able to supply you 4 and look after you on price. Attached is a quote for them.

I got a reply from Deemaxx in the USA and they were very concerned so I will post the follow up.

Piston 1.jpg

Edited by Bloggsy
Wrong photo

Interestingly enough, my modestly priced Trigg galvanised callipers come with ss pistons as standard even way back in 2001 !

The replies from both local trailer manufacturer and the brake manufacturer would be interesting to see. If that was how they made them "back in the day" it would be a common problem.

Cheers Zoran

I use Kodiak full stainless steel , that is S/S calipers , S/S housing and piston, S/S brackets, S/S sliding bolts ( with grease where they slide) and Vented S/S rotors. This trailer is 9 years old on the second set of pads still working without any overhauls . Previous trailer had the same set up for years when sold still all working but rotors were a bit warn. 

Kodiak was the first USA brake manufacturer to make stainless steel brakes for trailers, I bought my first set in USA back in late 90's and installed them in Aussie built trailer with some mods to fit them on. At the same time I bought a Hydrastar actuator so I did away with the old Vacuum brakes. I must say the actuator was a bit slow to react back then but still worked OK. American trailers don't need any mods, straight bolt on with a set of brackets .

Prior to that I had the normal solid rotors with what they called in AU marine calipers that worked for a few years with a lot of maintenance.

I would never use none S/S brakes on a boat trailer than gets dunked in salt . Much more expensive to start with bit much cheaper in the long run. I will never use roller trailer either, bunk trailers are much better for the boat and for trailering on the road, put slides on and she is almost like a roller trailer.

Deemaxx came on much later and I believe ex Kodiak employees started the company, they do make all S/S brakes. I don't know why you have mild steel pistons, looks like they haven't worked for a long time. Your rotor is not S/S either. I can easily lock the trailer brakes if I pull the lever. 

16 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Interestingly enough, my modestly priced Trigg galvanised callipers come with ss pistons as standard even way back in 2001 !

The replies from both local trailer manufacturer and the brake manufacturer would be interesting to see. If that was how they made them "back in the day" it would be a common problem.

Cheers Zoran

Zoran, the first thing you want S/S is the piston, next the housing, then sliding bolts, then the rotor and lastly the bracket. I can't understand why he has mild steel rotor and S/S housing. I won't even use steel bundy tube, I use braided flexi, you can buy them in USA as a kit for like $150 for the lot to do a dual axle trailer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bloggsy said:

You think that one is bad have a look at this one.

And here is the reply that I got from Easytow:

Back in the day Stainless Deemax calipers were made without stainless steel pistons, the latest current model does however come with them and I would be able to supply you 4 and look after you on price. Attached is a quote for them.

I got a reply from Deemaxx in the USA and they were very concerned so I will post the follow up.

Piston 1.jpg

I'm not so sure that Deemaxx would make S/S caliper housing with mild steel piston, if anything should be the other way around, S/S piston and dacromet caliper housing. Do they have "Deemaxx" on the housings?

I never used them but I always thought they were the same as Kodiak, they even use the same pads as Kodiak. 

How old is your trailer?

4 minutes ago, Bloggsy said:

Trailer was built November 2017 

The Easytow comment of "back in the day" seems at odds with a 2017 built trailer.   I presume there is a serial number or model number on the calliper housing -  Deemaxx should be able to confirm if there was a run made with ss or mild steel pistons and when that happened. It would be an interesting discussion with Easytow if they used brake components that were from "back in the day" ie significantly older than 2017 on your 2017 build trailer. 

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

I don't know what the invoice with Easytow or the retailer you purchased it from says but if it says S/S brakes you have a good case because they failed to supply with the correct brake calipers. The other thing is consumer law guarantee . I would expect the S/S brakes, besides the pad wear, to last more than 4 years if so they have failed on that as well.

At the very least I would be asking them to supply the parts for free .

I would also second Zoran's thinking, not sure if Deemaxx would supply S/S housings with mild steel pistons . To me that doesn't add up but then again I could be wrong. You can't trust anyone these days, you need to double check everything you buy to make sure you get what you asked and paid for.

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

The Easytow comment of "back in the day" seems at odds with a 2017 built trailer.   I presume there is a serial number or model number on the calliper housing -  Deemaxx should be able to confirm if there was a run made with ss or mild steel pistons and when that happened. It would be an interesting discussion with Easytow if they used brake components that were from "back in the day" ie significantly older than 2017 on your 2017 build trailer. 

Cheers Zoran

I never though I would use it but I seem to be using the term "back in the day" much more since I turned 50 🤣

For me it normally refers some some sort of activity I used to think was easy 20 years ago or when I used to be able to sleep all night without getting out of bed for a pee👴

2017 is not back in the day :mfr_lol:

• Like 1

This is from Easytow's Website. It states S/S calipers and Dacromet rotors. That is false advertising and you are entitled to remedy under AU consumer law.

Send them an email and bring it to their attention and see what they say. 

• HEAVY DUTY I -Beam Rails
  • D.G.S. – Easytow’s ultra-strong Drive-On Guidance System designed to direct your boat towards the centre of the trailer
  • Stainless Steel calipers & Brake Lines
  • Vented Dacromet rotors
  • Goodyear/Dunlop Tyres
  • Premium galvanised jockey wheel
  • Supa-Lube bearing protection system
  • Torsionbar axles system with removable stub
  • Optional Spare wheel mount or spare stub and hub mount
  • ADR compliant trailer
  • Wide Target Area (W.T.A) for bringing your boat onto the trailer
  • Dexter Braking Actuator
  • Full Keel Roller system with sleeves in the P.U. rollers for less rolling friction
  • Premium Winch
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Custom made to suit most fishing boats

MOUNTED SPARE WHEEL

Fish & Sports Galvanised Trailer Options

Learn more about the options offered to customise your trailer even further including wheel options, brake options, suspension options, walkways etc...

RR SERIES - KEEL ROLLERS WITH ROLLER RECEPTION REAR END ESPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR FIBREGLASS BOATS

Hull Support & Reception Galvanised Trailer Options

Learn more about the Hull Support Options and the choices available to customise your trailer.

I guess that's one of the benefits of having a small boat on an unbraked trailer.0 $ for brakes and maintenance.Those pistons look like they've been salvaged from underneath the Titanic.

Pros and cons to everything in life but they may as well have made those pistons out of sugar cubes.

Here is the follow up to my caliper issue.

I contacted Easytow and told them that I was not happy with their response but never received a reply. So I again contacted Deemaxx in the USA and as a result Chuck Deegear the owner arranged for four complete replacement calipers to be sent from their Australian distributer ECTBS in NSW for $50 each which I was more than happy with.

It appears  that a few calipers did slip through with mild steel pistons instead of stainless steel. 

9 hours ago, Bloggsy said:

I contacted Easytow and told them that I was not happy with their response but never received a reply. So I again contacted Deemaxx in the USA and as a result Chuck Deegear the owner arranged for four complete replacement calipers to be sent from their Australian distributer ECTBS in NSW for $50 each which I was more than happy with.

It appears  that a few calipers did slip through with mild steel pistons instead of stainless steel. 

Well that sounds like a win even if EZ tow wiped their hands with you.

I had a look on the ECTBS website & it looks like those SS calipers are like $750 each 🙂

19 hours ago, Bloggsy said:

Good outcome but Easytow should have chased it up and they should supply you with new calipers or at the very least piston kits.

10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I had a look on the ECTBS website & it looks like those SS calipers are like $750 each 🙂

Someone is making some margin there.. 

I can buy them from a retailer in USA for US $200, even at the current exchange rate it works out AU $275.00 a long way from $750.

I can buy a full S/S brake kit to do one axle for US $ 740, AU $1014, the kit has everything you need in S/S, 2 calipers, 2 mounting brackets, 2 rotors and 4 mounting bolts, the only other parts you need 2 lazy hubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on brake repair I received the replacement calipers within 24 hours of my talking to Marc at ECTBS

and ordered replacement stainless components from Transtyle Trailers in Victoria.

Everything fitted spot on so there should be no more problems.

Thanks to every one for their input.

Caliper mount 2.jpg

caliper-bracket-a.jpg

Rusted stub.jpg

Mount.jpg

Hub 2.jpg

Hub stainless.jpg

Disc and hub.jpg

• Like 3