Utes

Bryant fish

38 minutes ago, Bryant fish said:

Use to have falcon and Holden they were great for towing and like driving a lounge so comfortable. If I didn't need a Ute I'd prefer a sedan don't no what the obsession with dual cabs is

Both single and dual cab utes are light over the rear axle compared to say a wagon/sedan.You shouldn't have trouble on dry ramps at high tide but get low tide and ramp slime and even the best utes can start to wheel spin/slide.

I have a 4wd dual cab hilux 2004 (Last of the japs) and I can tell you with excellent all terrain tyres and in 4wd at low tide with ramp slime in low range second gear I started spinning and going backwards once pulling my 550kg tinny out of the water at Windang.I slid back about 4 feet before she gripped and pulled her out.

I thought I was going swimming.

My advice is Always chock your car wheel use second gear and pull out SLOWLY.If you can carry weight of some sort over the rear axle too.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bryant fish said:

Use to have falcon and Holden they were great for towing and like driving a lounge so comfortable. If I didn't need a Ute I'd prefer a sedan don't no what the obsession with dual cabs is

Don't expect a ute to ride or behave like a car too.My hilux is like a tank,rides like a tank,but will go anywhere pretty much.When I want comfort I drive my Kia cerato and even tow my tinny with it.Best of both worlds for a small boat tow car I guess.

54 minutes ago, motiondave said:

These days, I'd say, as family sedans like falcon and commodore went out of fashion as small to medium SUV took over. So it's either them or a dual cab 4x4 for towing now. Although I've seen Camry towing a boat, I'd personally not trust one. 

My 307,000 km au falcon sure does great towing. 

AU Falcon was one of the best falcons ever made.The wagon variant is even better with the long wheelbase and leaf spring rear end.Au started fixing the blown head gasket issue with the E series.

I had an 88 EA wagon 5sp manual with the 3.9 litre multi point engine and fitted a Au head gasket and Garrett super charger.Lets just say I didn't slow down coming up Mt Ousley or bulli pass in it with my old fibreglass heavy boat on the back.

29 minutes ago, Bryant fish said:

The Ford's were good but they really hit the au with the ugly stick

They are fairly ugly some of them.The xr6 and 8 were an improvement.As above I had an Ea with a supercharger that went like a rocket.Like with most falcons and Commodores rust is an issue with many of them and clutch cables and firewalls in many of them.I put hydraulic clutch in my Ea as the novelty of broken clutch cables and welding cracked firewall wore off quickly for me.

Hey fab that is my main concern I don't want to spend on what I don't need so trying to make sure a single cab will work.i normally launch at parsley bay so it's well maintained.i was posting a week or so ago about prices  of new outboard and car crapped itself so a large expense was not what I was expecting. 1 company is doing 10 yrs warranty and 10 yrs capped servicing is attractive as I hold onto my things

22 minutes ago, Bryant fish said:

Hey fab that is my main concern I don't want to spend on what I don't need so trying to make sure a single cab will work.i normally launch at parsley bay so it's well maintained.i was posting a week or so ago about prices  of new outboard and car crapped itself so a large expense was not what I was expecting. 1 company is doing 10 yrs warranty and 10 yrs capped servicing is attractive as I hold onto my things

Single cab will work.If you look around you'll see them being used as tugs.I'm not familiar with that ramp but if it's well maintained you shouldn't have issues.

Like I said a simple chock on a rope is a simple cheap added bit of security and so is something in the tray over the back axle.

As for car warranties most aren't worth the paper they are written on.My Kia came with 7yrs capped and unlimited km warranty(2 yrs remaining) I service everything myself(They can keep their warranty the crooks.

I'm with you mate.Replacing new vehicles every 3 yrs or so is a mugs game in my opinion.I drive mine into the ground and get my monies worth.My last car I drove it into the ground over 15yrs before I bought this one.

Good luck with your purchase.

1 hour ago, Bryant fish said:

I grew up in heyday of ford and Holden would love to have kept some of them but rust and reliability wasn't great

If you owned an x series you wouldn't miss carrying a door handle in your pocket now.😂😂

I doubt there would be a lot of difference between a single and twin cab.  I had a commodore wagon which towed my 5.6 meter Quinnie no problem but on long trips was using up to 17 litres per 100ks.  Now have a diesel Colorado 7 and nearly forget the boats there it does it so easily.   Ron