My first kingfish - 88cm - Middle harbour

nal

Finally, after countless hours, unimaginable numbers of squid caught and almost a year of fishing I finally caught a kingfish, bonus it was a big Sydney king going 88cm. So stoked to get this guy, taken on a live cuttlefish. It was pulling drag on a almost locked drag 5500 reel so I knew it was a good fish from the moment I hooked onto it. The early mornings and late squidding sessions all finally paid off and I’m so happy that the first one I caught was a stonker of a fish. So happy to get my first one in middle harbour where I’ve been trying to get one since day dot.

C299A0A1-9480-4F78-88B1-84E1DD93067B.jpeg

Edited by Max_fish
Forgot to add picture lol
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Isaac Ct said:

Great job on the first mate!! Must of pulled like a tank!

Sure did! I actually didn’t think it was anything bigger then a rat as I had never properly fought a kingfish before and had just heard that even the rats fight hard, so glad it was bigger though.

24 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well done Max, 88 is a really nice Kingie, you did well to boat it (I usually fish 80lb fluro leader for kings as they are no respecter of light gear).

Wow that is heavy, I caught this one on 25lb Fluro, I should count myself lucky I got it cause I was fishing an area with a lot of anchor ropes and snags

• Like 1