Felt washers , does anyone make their own? and how.

leonardgid

On 9/22/2021 at 7:08 PM, zmk1962 said:

I second what  @Green Hornet has said. Slight size differences are less than 2mm. Carbontex is rigid and does not compress - so on a slightly smaller washer you can tighten more to get the same drag pressure/performance as the slightly larger felt washer. 
But regardless of material generally a larger diameter washer provides better performance and longevity as it has a bigger surface area on which to spread the drag load (friction) and from which to dissipate heat. 
I have only had one occasion where the wad punch set did not have a size to match. That was when I was servicing my overhead penn lever drag reels. The drag washer on those was about 50mm OD. I traced the shape to the carbontex and cut it with scissors then smoothed with fine sand paper (wear a mask 😷 the dust is not good for you). I punched the inside hole using the 32mm wad to create the big drag washer which was then glued to the drag housing with JB weld hi temp epoxy. 

cheers Zoran 

i am so thankful for  all your help in the past and now , stay well .

15 hours ago, leonardgid said:

i am so thankful for  all your help in the past and now , stay well .

Thanks so much for your kind words … FishRaider works as a community because we are willing to share and build on each other’s knowledge and success. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 3