Make you're own FG knot tier

Thunderboltlifestyle

Nice work, I love anything DIY :thumbup:

On this occasion I bought a FG tool instead of doing something like this myself.

The only thing for me with this design & the way the knot is formed is as you do your wraps the line shortens between the 2 points that are at 90 degrees of the tag which is why my Daiichi is spring loaded.

But if it works for you thats all that matters, its certainly better than trying to do it by hand which for me was a PITA.

• Like 2

I found this guide to tying an FG Knot a few months back, and it is as simple as pie (after a few practice attempts).

My only modification is to not bother tying the final half-hitches past the end of the tag line. The result is a super thin, strong knot, that lasts through many more casts than my much loved  ‘Improved Albright’, that served me for the past 15 years  

I have used it on leader from 20-100lb, and it has not failed me once.

Give it a try!

Cheers,

Ed  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

On this occasion I bought a FG tool instead of doing something like this myself.

The only thing for me with this design & the way the knot is formed is as you do your wraps the line shortens between the 2 points that are at 90 degrees of the tag which is why my Daiichi is spring loaded.

But if it works for you thats all that matters, its certainly better than trying to do it by hand which for me was a PITA.

The Daiichi works very well.  The only way I can tie a good fg knot

On 9/28/2021 at 4:01 PM, kingie chaser said:

Hey mate 

So using the rubber rings are quite soft so it allows your braid to slide through as the wraps are made. wing nuts allow you to release the pressure as you need to.

20 hours ago, EdCain said:

I found this guide to tying an FG Knot a few months back, and it is as simple as pie (after a few practice attempts).

My only modification is to not bother tying the final half-hitches past the end of the tag line. The result is a super thin, strong knot, that lasts through many more casts than my much loved  ‘Improved Albright’, that served me for the past 15 years  

I have used it on leader from 20-100lb, and it has not failed me once.

Give it a try!

Cheers,

Ed  

That guide is really good, i got sick of standing on the sand trying to keep a reel out of the sand and trying to get and maintain tention on 6 pound line while tying a 10 pound leader. you just dont have to think about anything other than making your wraps when i use my little tool.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:16 PM, big Neil said:

Thanks for sharing this with us. Can you show me how the improved model is used please? What are "lamb marking rings" and where do we get them? Cheers, bn

Lamb marking rings are the little rubber rings they use to castrate and take the tails from newborn lambs, should be able to get them at a rural shop or online. the third arm keeps tension on the leader. ill take some photos when I'm out the shed next. Fit snuggly on m6 bolts. i also changed the length of the bolts to 100mm from 70mm i made it for my cousin who has quite large hands.

.4616db0902416efb84aa02a86fab2e03aed8769d_480x480_fwb.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thunderboltlifestyle said:

That guide is really good, i got sick of standing on the sand trying to keep a reel out of the sand and trying to get and maintain tention on 6 pound line while tying a 10 pound leader. you just dont have to think about anything other than making your wraps when i use my little tool.

or even worse 6 pound leader