Marine Ply Sealant and Marine Carpet Adhesive

sam bros

Hey Raiders,

I've been reflooring my runabout during this lockdown, Ive cut the marine ply to size and now it comes to the next step of sealing and putting on the carpet.

Just curious what people have used to seal/waterproof their marine ply and also what adhesive people used to glue the marine carpet to the ply?

I was going to use Septone Contact adhesive for the carpet, but not sure what sealant I should use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Edited by sam bros
typo

i used just your regular outdoor primer and paint to seal up the standard (not marine) ply I put in the floor of my boat, has lasted will so far but i am planning on re-doing it all as im not particularly happy with the carpet joints.

I glued the carpet down with fake grass glue which has been ok and was relatively cheap 

I put a flat floor and casting deck in a tinny I owned and just used regular weatherproof ply and gave it 3 coats of Wattyl Solagard outdoor paint. I glued the carpet down with Selleys Quick Grip contact glue and spread it with a plastic, notched trowel.

I put the floor and deck in in 2006 and though I have long since sold the boat, I know who owns now and its still as solid as the day I did it.

I have been using Bondcrete for years on several boats as well as my wood turning to make bowls and other objects, cheap and easy to use, can also be used as a glue but I have never tried this. I generally use contact to glue the carpet but have used vinly tile glue with success.

Bunnings or similar.

Frank

bondcrete.jpg

• 1 year later...

There are many types of glue that are pretty flammable, which is dangerous for marine applications. However, with Roberts Carpet Glue, you can be certain. One thing I love most about this carpet glue is its ease of application. I just needed to spread the adhesive and gave it an open time of up to one hour. Then, I let the glue dry after putting the carpet on the flooring by limiting foot traffic for up to 48 hours.