Corrosion fixable or too far gone?

RedMaN_82

Anything is fixable, just depends on how much effort your willing to put in.

Seeing as you got the boat for nothing your still way ahead.

Sand it back & check for leaks & hit it with some rust converter.

You could need to use some sort of sealant.

I have had a couple of pinhead size holes in my 52 year old alley hull & I used some marine sealant & put a small plate on each side of the whole.

Not the prettiest job but a quick fix that worked for me.

it's surprising how much water just a pinhead size hole will let in!

It's aluminium, that "rust" was caused by a steel hook or something sitting on the bottom, no need for rust converter, just check for leaks and clean up, paint with suitable primer (etch primer) then repaint to provide further protection 

Find and remove what is causing the stain, wire brush it and there is a product you can get from auto paint stores called " schultz " or " shultz " can't remember how it's spelt now but the shop will know what you are talking about.  You can brush on, it's sound deadener used on vehicles but does a great job of sealing alloy boats. 

Frank

Just looked it up on google and it looks like SCHULTZ is no longer available but just go to your Supercheap store and ask for body deadener, if you have a compressor you can also buy a spray gun for it pretty cheap which does a terrific job.

Frank

27 minutes ago, RedMaN_82 said:

Awesome thanks for the replies guys.. yeah happy to invest time and effort as it was my dads boat and we have years of memories fishing it in. He passed 10 months ago so it means alot more sentimental value than $$$

Thats great to keep the memories going.

I am still fishing in what was my fathers 1969 Quintrex sportsman, I haven't really done much to it except put in a removable floor & I did buy I new motor(25hp seapro) as the other one was seized & for safety sake it made sense. 

What is the boat btw? 

• Like 1

Looks like electrolysis.  It would be worthwhile to remove damaged material back to solid metal preferably with sanding disk and stainless wire brush.  Vaccume all resulting dust out and wash before painting with an aluminium specific primer. 

The most important thing is to find the source of the electrolysis.  Check the bottom for foriign objects like sinkers,  hooks, coins, swivels etc.  If you don't find anything check all around the hull especially the fixings like rivets, bolts etc to make sure they aren't made from reactive metals like braas or steel.   Good luck.   Ron 

On 9/27/2021 at 7:47 AM, frankS said:

Just looked it up on google and it looks like SCHULTZ is no longer available but just go to your Supercheap store and ask for body deadener, if you have a compressor you can also buy a spray gun for it pretty cheap which does a terrific job.

Frank

Frank, 

Does this stuff add much weight to the boat or is it more light like paint ? 

Looks to me like someone has had a go at removing the aluminium corrosion with something that has left other metal fillings, such as a wire brush or wire wool etc which is now causing the issue. I would be trying very hard to remove any of those tiny filings and making sure I don't add more to it before sealing it with suitable paint.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rozza_b said:

Frank, 

Does this stuff add much weight to the boat or is it more light like paint ? 

1 or 2 tins of the stuff , enough to coat the entire floor would weight less than 1 kg so pretty well nothing to worry about weight wise.

Only use Stainless Steel wire brush or better still plenty of elbow grease and a scourer. It is important that you find the original cause of the contamination and remove all traces of it.

IF you lift the floor mats up from your car the black tar type stuff that is on the floor is this product . you spray OR brush it on and it hardens to a tar like substance and sticks like shit to a blanket.

Frank

Edited by frankS
part of post removed
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 10:09 AM, frankS said:

1 or 2 tins of the stuff , enough to coat the entire floor would weight less than 1 kg so pretty well nothing to worry about weight wise.

Only use Stainless Steel wire brush or better still plenty of elbow grease and a scourer. It is important that you find the original cause of the contamination and remove all traces of it.

IF you lift the floor mats up from your car the black tar type stuff that is on the floor is this product . you spray OR brush it on and it hardens to a tar like substance and sticks like shit to a blanket.

Frank

I like reading your replies Frank 'cos they are considered and full of practical, common sense, helpful tips that come from years of experience. HOWEVER, I can't get past the analogy "sticks like shit to a blanket". The mind boggles with that one. bn

On 9/27/2021 at 8:35 AM, RedMaN_82 said:

Awesome thanks for the replies guys.. yeah happy to invest time and effort as it was my dads boat and we have years of memories fishing it in. He passed 10 months ago so it means alot more sentimental value than $$$

I hope that you can bring your Dad's boat back, to provide you with many more years of use. Sorry for your loss mate but what a great opportunity to keep his memory going. Good luck with the repairs and your future use of the vessel. bn

I would be a bit wary using something thick like body deadoner as you could have new electrolysis under it and not know until you have a hole in the hull.  I think that stuff is tar based and dont know if it would react with the aluminum.   Good luck.   Ron 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, campr said:

I would be a bit wary using something thick like body deadoner as you could have new electrolysis under it and not know until you have a hole in the hull.  I think that stuff is tar based and dont know if it would react with the aluminum.   Good luck.   Ron 

Ron. I don't know the chemical makeup of the stuff and IF it is or isn't corrosive causing to Aluminium , perhaps on bare alloy it may have some sort of reaction but I have had it on several alloy boats, 1 an old 12 foot punt I have had it for about 40 odd years and had this deadener in it for 30 of those years and so far no problems. I do have the alloy etched primed and painted before applying the deadener ( was panel beater/spray painter in previous life ) Maybe I'm just lucky but so far after 30 years my boats with sound deadener applied to the inside of the hull have no ill effects.

Frank