what are the actual laws on streaming movies ?

leonardgid

Hit here raiders , question because  a lot of people  like my self do not understand  or know all the laws  around downloading  , streaming, watching movies , on their computers , tv's ,    the question is not so we can find a way to  break the law , its so that we can  use the internet legally and/or avoid fines  because  of   ignorance ,

now take me for example , i love watching old movies  from the 60s, 70s, 80s  etc , nothing new ,   

there are sites  that have free streaming  , to me  that means   i  search for a movie  from the 70s , it shows up on the screen  , i  push play and watch it on my smart TV,  at the end  nothing is stored , i push clear history   and that's the end of  that  .

i believe that it  is legal  because its not actually downloading  /storing   that movie , its just watching it ,  can someone that knows about these thing  please  let us know if that is actually legal  or not , thank you for your time and reply ,  administration  please remove  this post if its   against the fishraider rules , 

Nothings free about free streaming services like 9now etc because it's full of advertising.

Not sure if file sharing downloads still exist(I'm sure it does)but I'm sure breaches copyright laws. Basically copying/downloading anything that you did not pay for is called pirating.

Streaming & pirating are two different things.

Edited by kingie chaser

Its an interesting one. Certainly there are royalty free movies that you can watch when the copyright has expired.

I would say that generally, someone will own the copyright to a movie, and from there, they may or may mot allow you to watch it, usually for a fee. For you and your  "is streaming ok and downloading not" question, I would put them in the same boat. The copyright message usually mentions the word broadcast and it can be argued that streaming is broadcasting. I'm not a copyright lawyer 😉

On 9/28/2021 at 6:23 PM, antonywardle said:

Its an interesting one. Certainly there are royalty free movies that you can watch when the copyright has expired.

I would say that generally, someone will own the copyright to a movie, and from there, they may or may mot allow you to watch it, usually for a fee. For you and your  "is streaming ok and downloading not" question, I would put them in the same boat. The copyright message usually mentions the word broadcast and it can be argued that streaming is broadcasting. I'm not a copyright lawyer 😉

thank you 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 4:24 AM, kingie chaser said:

Nothings free about free streaming services like 9now etc because it's full of advertising.

Not sure if file sharing downloads still exist(I'm sure it does)but I'm sure breaches copyright laws. Basically copying/downloading anything that you did not pay for is called pirating.

Streaming & pirating are two different things.

THANK YOU