Bass comp

dirvin21

A local on the MNC started running fishing comps over the last year, due to covid restrictions the last few have been State-wide bass/flathead comps, having missed the last few I was determined to at least put a fish on the scoreboard for this one. 

The weather did not turn it on, cold windy and rain meant flathead were a no go it was a upper river yak sesh for bass. On the river a 0630, conditions weren't looking great, started out casting a jigspinner slimswim around to my surprise it only took 7 minutes for the first hook-up (just bought an action cam looked back at the footage) it was a solid fish which railed me into the timber before pulling the hooks, hoping this wouldn't haunt me I kept the casts going. Three casts later landing the lure under a branch it gets slammed on the drop another good fish which also tried hard to brick me, pulled him out and a fish in the net

received_388178156151472.thumb.jpeg.8e906cb6a5cbbad9cd6e29fe91b200d6.jpeg

a nice very healthy 38 to start the comp, feeling pretty confident I woukd easily fill my five fish limit.

I spent the next 2 hours without a looker.

It's funny how things can change in fishing, a massive mullet tried to eat my jigspinner yakside but didn't find the hooks, I swapped over to a hardbody so atleast a mullet would find the trebles, second cast with the hardbody on a ridiculously shallow log on the edge it gets nailed definitely not a mullet

received_450936109570117.thumb.jpeg.c9256472a55e7f792c01b022beaff981.jpeg

Fish number 2 that went 39.5 a bit skinnier than my fisrt fish but still in good condition and a lovely bronzie

received_1463529324046062.thumb.jpeg.3bf3de8398db77e896f2d467cbe3ccfc.jpeg

he came from the small log on the left, the places bass come from never ceases to amaze me. Again confidence was back that the hardbody was going to produce, again it was a decent period of time before any action.

It often happens when you least expect but driftong along mindlessly casting I was woken from a daydream with another slamming hit 

received_412532826900182.thumb.jpeg.88f88d11ab550e6ef6bff81fc306535a.jpeg

another nice gish for the tally this one going 37, I was actually looking at a decent score. Unfortunately when getting out of the yak to walk up a rapid I slipped and tipped it and didn't realise I lost my brag mat which meant I couldn't enter anymore fish which in turn didn't matter because I didn't catch any more, so after 6 hours for 3 fish I pulled the pin.

Cheers for reading

Dave

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Great report Dave. You've got it down pat... you just kept on casting at likely spots. Anticipation is one of the biggest thrills when casting lures around the likely areas. The fact that you put so much effort into catching 3 decent fish speaks to your determination. Was the event held on the Hastings or one of the other MNC rivers?

I'll have a heap of questions lined up for you, regarding video editing, when we catch up next.

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Great report Dave. You've got it down pat... you just kept on casting at likely spots. Anticipation is one of the biggest thrills when casting lures around the likely areas. The fact that you put so much effort into catching 3 decent fish speaks to your determination. Was the event held on the Hastings or one of the other MNC rivers?

I'll have a heap of questions lined up for you, regarding video editing, when we catch up next.

Cheers, bn

The last few comps have been all of NSW, Vic and QLD

• Thanks 1