Conventional or spin?

Sea Ranger

Hi everyone,

I am getting keen for when restrictions lift in Sydney .  Today I was going through some of my old gear and found this Ugly Stik rod that I last used probably 15 years ago for snapper.  When I laid it down next to some spinning rods it’s construction looked similar.  It got me thinking if this was a spinning rod or a conventional rod?  It’s marked ugly stik 2000 plus.  1483 060 GB1609 2.05 metres line wt. 6 -10 kg.  Lure weight. 30 - 107gm.

any ideas?

Bear

11CB726C-F121-40C7-B00E-69530A5B14B0.jpeg

Hi Mate,

Long time no chat. Usually the lowest and largest eye on the rod is a good indicator as to the function of the rod.

On a spinning rod the bottom eye is larger than that of an equivalent overhead (game or baitcaster) as there is a whipping motion of the line as it comes off the reel and the larger eye does not constrain the movement.

On the overhead we are talking a drum so it is guiding the line and needs less space for movement.

Regards,

Derek

PS. Looking at the photo with the relatively small bottom eye and that the guides are top and bottom bound I'd be leaning towards it being an overhead rod.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi Mate,

Long time no chat. Usually the lowest and largest eye on the rod is a good indicator as to the function of the rod.

On a spinning rod the bottom eye is larger than that of an equivalent overhead (game or baitcaster) as there is a whipping motion of the line as it comes off the reel and the larger eye does not constrain the movement.

On the overhead we are talking a drum so it is guiding the line and needs less space for movement.

Regards,

Derek

PS. Looking at the photo with the relatively small bottom eye and that the guides are top and bottom bound I'd be leaning towards it being an overhead rod.

Hi Derek,

Last year was a wash for me.  I could not get free from work.  Looking better this summer.  I hope to wet a few lines as soon as I can.  I’m in a lga of concern so gotta wait till the restrictions lift.   I want to try a get my son on some kings this year and was taking inventory of my gear to see what I need.  How have you been?

bear

Hi Bear,

Wonderful to hear from you. I've been luckier than most in that I work in an essential industry so that has been as stressful for me as other people.

On the downside I've lost access to most of my favourite fishing locations so have spent time mentoring others instead. They have had some successes (including a rat king on bream gear which was landed).

You are probably all over it (and it will be more satisfying if the two you achieve it yourselves) but if you need some help on the king front just reach out.

Regards,

Derek