South NSW Beach fishing help

DamagedDingo

Hi guys I picked up a surf combo about 2 years ago but with covid haven’t had a chance to use it. I’m going down south for 4 days in December and was wondering what I would need to catch yellowtail kingfish off the beaches. 

my combo is nothing fancy just a Ugly Stik Balance 1202H 8000 Surf Combo and I was thinking of loading it up with some 40 pound line as someone recommended that for mulloway back when I got it. 

outside of that I have no idea of what I really need and was hoping for some tips for hooks sinkers etc. 

when I was a kid I used to go fishing with my brother from a boat but that was mainly just trolling the Sydney headlands. 

I’m watching some YouTube videos but not sure how relatable it is as most don’t give the location and I’m not sure how much it differs beach to beach.. 

Firstly Welcome to fishraider,

I've only heard of one kingie being caught off the beach in south west rocks. There may be more but if you wany a higher chance of catching a big fish off the beach i would go for mulloway.

But if you do decide to go for kingies and mulloway, if you can't read the beach learn how to. Watch some videos and then go to a beach or some aerial photos of a beach and try locate some gutters. If you find the gutter more than often you've found the fish.

THere are tons of videos by Daiwa and the like that give tips of the tackle. If you can locate gutters and got the right rigs and bait then you've got a good chance of catching some fish. In beach fishing it only really differs in seasons, species and slightly location. Nothing too much to worry about.

Good luck🤞

• Like 1

As others have said, a kingfish from the beach is a rare occurrence.

You'd do better trying for whiting, flathead and salmon, which are common beach species through December.

Perhaps if you told us where down south you were actually heading, we could help you more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DamagedDingo said:

A big mulloway would be awesome but thought kings would be a easier target. 

You know what, I actually thought Jews where more common of beaches then kingies. But in saying that, both are pretty rare and you will have to work for them. Try ganged whole pillies for tailor, salmon and trevally and you could get the bycatch of a jewie.

17 hours ago, DamagedDingo said:

Green hornet. Whoops, I’m heading down to Pebbly beach, near Batman’s bay. 

but I’d like to start hitting the beaches around Wollongong when I get a chance next year  as I can get there fairly quickly from home. 

Forget the 40lb line, its way too heavy for fishing the beach as it will reduce your casting distance considerably. 20lb is more than enough and with your drag set correctly, is capable of landing any mulloway you're likely to encounter.

Regarding your question on terminal tackle, rather than explain it here, head down to a decent tackle store and have a chat to the guys behind the counter. They'll set you up with what you'll need and if you ask, they'll help you out with how to rig it and what bait to use with different species and hook sizes.

Down at Pebbly Beach you can probably add tailor to the list of species you're likely to come across in December and I reckon a simple rig consisting of a sinker (weight to suit the surf on the day) running down to a swivel with a trace of around 60cm, a 1/0 or 2/0 and half a pilchard would be a great way to start. That will suit all species except whiting.

December is also a good time to target mulloway from the beach on the south coast. There's plenty of good info here on Raider if you use the search tab on how to specifically target them. Larger, fresh baits and fishing nights or before dawn is the go.

Most beaches north and south of Wollongong seem to fish okay through the warmer months. Early mornings and late afternoons will increase your chances substantially.

• Like 1