help needed with matching reel size to rod

Caple666

hey ladies and gents,

Its been a while, I hope everyone is safe and well.

I recently purchased the terez 6'9' medium heavy spin rod 40-80lb to use for live baiting kings and other pelagics. I have looked at reels to match to it for a while now and im pretty set on the penn slammer 3 since the slammer 4 has come out there are some awesome deals on the slammer 3. Im just not sure whether to get the 8500 or the 9500?

Anyone have any info or input on the subject would be muchly appreciated.

3 hours ago, slothparade said:

I have a 10500 on a pe8 saltist, bit heavy but I quite like it.

I'd go with an 8500, bit more portable and your able to use i for longer without getting as tired, will have plenty of line cap and drag to 

Awesome I was leaning more towards the 8500 as the 9500 is quite a bit heavier so that helps alot 👌 legend 

3 hours ago, noelm said:

I guess the size is the same as the Spinfisher, as in, the 950 is the same as the 850 except for the spool?

I'm not sure to tell you the truth I haven't actually been able to hold either in my hands because of covid but the 9500 is around 250 grams heavier than the 8500 so I'm thinking bigger body as well.

I would go 8500 as well as a 9500 may take the rod out of balance 

Good choice on the terez, got 2 myself and they are one of the best rods you can use.

I use a stradic 5000 on one of my heaver live bait rods (TZS69MBLK-OZ) 15-40lb braid. Balance is great.

Also use a sustain 4000 or if I'm not using the other rod ill use the stradic on a TZSW-72MHBLK which is 15-30lb braid & my main bait rod for Kings and jews. 

Nether reel feels large & heavy on the rod and with your rods being heaver a slammer 8500 should do fine 

Hopefully this helps you, it is hard buying rods n reels without feeling them prior 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Restyle said:

I would go 8500 as well as a 9500 may take the rod out of balance 

Good choice on the terez, got 2 myself and they are one of the best rods you can use.

I use a stradic 5000 on one of my heaver live bait rods (TZS69MBLK-OZ) 15-40lb braid. Balance is great.

Also use a sustain 4000 or if I'm not using the other rod ill use the stradic on a TZSW-72MHBLK which is 15-30lb braid & my main bait rod for Kings and jews. 

Nether reel feels large & heavy on the rod and with your rods being heaver a slammer 8500 should do fine 

Hopefully this helps you, it is hard buying rods n reels without feeling them prior 

I have always really like the terez rods, used a few of my mates in the smaller sizes in the past but this will be my first so im excited as.

although this is also my first time buying rod n reel without feeling it first so im a bit worried.

I am mainly worried about the balance of the rod so this helps immensely. 8500 it is.

Thanks much appreciated.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, noelm said:

No, not saying the Spinfisher is the same, meant is the sizing the same between an 850 and a 950 except for the spool, like a Spinfisher.

ahh, sorry im still waking up.

I have a 950 if you have an 850 and you would like to do a size comparison can get a couple of rulers and compare the sizes