accessory rail and fish finder mounting

slothparade

3 hours ago, slothparade said:

Hi,

Whats a good brand accessory rail that won't cost me an arm and a leg, I would like to mount 2 rod holders and a stricker 4 garmin fish finder mount on it to. 

secondly is this possible: I thought the transounder had to be in the water 

I th

Yes that is possible, but water temp wont be measured

Dose your kayak not have assessory rails? you can make one, or if you want little movement a hobie hrail which can also act as a kayak handle 2 bolts, put some large washers on the underside even bend them to fit.
as for railblaza you can probably just screw everything straight into the hull and skip the track step all together  as they tend to seize up after a few months of being in the same spot and need abit of love to get moving again

13 hours ago, Restyle said:

Yes that is possible, but water temp wont be measured

Dose your kayak not have assessory rails? you can make one, or if you want little movement a hobie hrail which can also act as a kayak handle 2 bolts, put some large washers on the underside even bend them to fit.
as for railblaza you can probably just screw everything straight into the hull and skip the track step all together  as they tend to seize up after a few months of being in the same spot and need abit of love to get moving again

thanks, i was thinking it wouldn't be able to penetrate the plastic

nah don't have an assesory rail unfortunately. I saw people using a bit of metal and cutting it with an angle grinder, I guess I could do that.The reason why I need a rail is for flexability, my bream rod (doubles as a live bait rod sometime when I don't want to take the travel ugly stick) is 5'6 and the reel bail gets caught with the front hatch, not a problem with the battery because I can't close it any way. If i turn it to face the sides, it gets caught in the rudder peddles or gets in the way of the other rod, if it goes behind the fish finder, it pushes my fish finder mount foward. I looked at a milkcrate but that means ditching the motor or the live bait tank (bucket with an airator). Im also not sure how it would go ecause I usually run atleast one baitcaster or trawling setup back there, in fresh water ill trawl with a baitcaster. 

It really depends on where im going, for esturarys ill take 2-3 rods (1 bait caster, 1-2 spinning), ocean more like 5 (1 15-24kg trawling, 1 4-8kg trawling, 1 pe 8 popping rod, 1 4-8 general purpose, 1 2-4 bream) 

10 minutes ago, slothparade said:

yeah, thats what i was thinking of, just didn't know the name of it. just need a flat surface and some nice sized washers on the underside as u don't want to crack the hull over time 

14 hours ago, Restyle said:

yeah, thats what i was thinking of, just didn't know the name of it. just need a flat surface and some nice sized washers on the underside as u don't want to crack the hull over time 

Sounds good. What mounts will fit on it? 

use the normal ram/ rail blaza mounting plates which slide inside the rail. the probably wont fit so you can just sand them down on a belt sander or grinding wheel 

A stainless steel bolt will work aswell, just be sure to use atleast 2 per attachment as you may risk snapping the head off on that large fish  

Keep them lubed up after a few trips as they do like to seize up in the tracks and can be a real pain to move after a few months 

16 minutes ago, Restyle said:

use the normal ram/ rail blaza mounting plates which slide inside the rail. the probably wont fit so you can just sand them down on a belt sander or grinding wheel 

A stainless steel bolt will work aswell, just be sure to use atleast 2 per attachment as you may risk snapping the head off on that large fish  

Keep them lubed up after a few trips as they do like to seize up in the tracks and can be a real pain to move after a few months 

thanks. I couldn't find any rams for a reasonable price. im planning on putting my fish finder on and a bream/ live bait rod. 

I use the flush mount rod holders for the heavier setups. I guess this is right? 

I got a rod holder that came with the kayak, doesnt seem to have a brand on it but it fits in my centre console which looks the same as the rail blaza mount so I guess it would work, save me buying another. 

thanks 

5 minutes ago, slothparade said:

thanks. I couldn't find any rams for a reasonable price. im planning on putting my fish finder on and a bream/ live bait rod. 

I use the flush mount rod holders for the heavier setups. I guess this is right? 

I got a rod holder that came with the kayak, doesnt seem to have a brand on it but it fits in my centre console which looks the same as the rail blaza mount so I guess it would work, save me buying another. 

thanks 

I don't use my flush rod holders, because they are behind the seat for me. if they are in a decent spot for you that you are comfortable using go for it.

My first kayak came with a couple rod holders aswell, one is dead, ones still works 4 ~ yrs later 

if you go for a rail system

rail blaza has rails https://www.railblaza.com/products/tracloader-gunnel-track/

starport for rod holders & sounder which go into the track https://www.railblaza.com/products/starport-tracloader-suremount/
Any my sounder is screwed into this 
https://www.railblaza.com/products/rotating-platform/
and it just slaps into a start port