Flathead/bream fishing Illawarra - What lure would you pick from my options?

Denisfisho

Hey all, I will eventually be fishing locations around Lake Illawarra hoping to score my first flathead or bream or anything in the area since moving here.

I've started lure fishing but havent caught anything yet, except seaweed.

I've done a tonne of research and what I have to use now are zman grubs motor oil (all the sizes upto 3inch), zman motor oil slim swims, zman motor oil minnows, zman motor oil crabz, daiwa double clutch 60mm ghost, and atomic hard cranks 38mm both mid and deep.

I really can't decide whether to try out the double clutch first or try out an atomic hard crank

Is there any in the list that are much more likely to work? I have heard good things about zman grubs but would rather a hard body lure to start with.

Edited by Denisfisho
typos

Hey mate, If i was you i would cast the Atomic hard crank around oyster racks and around snags like trees and other snags for bream, while using the Daiwa double clutch on weedbeds and flats for flatties.

I'm a bit like you in not catching a fish on plastics yet but i think ll we need to do is to get out there and practise!

• Thanks 1

all those lures will catch you fish, if you just want to tick a fish off with a HB, cast the double clutch around weed beds and drop-offs, you should be able to snag a flattie, your lure needs to get down near the bottom

the plastics would probably be an easier option to get started

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @dirvin21.

The double Clutch is a proven flatty killer, but you must be fishing a water depth where it can get close to, or better still reach the bottom.

The 2.5 inch, Zman Grub with a jig head of 3.5g or lighter, is a great all rounder and would be my first choice in bream and flatty country.

Either way, you have chosen a good selection and anything can work on the day. Give something a go and if you're not getting any hits, try something else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any of those lures or SP’s should produce fish. I’d also try the new shimmer prawn and I like “hot pink” in deep diver lures.

Ive also been using the fork and thumper tail “shimmer shad” style lire’s (don’t think brand makes that much difference).

looking forward to your report on how you go.

As per my usual reply, go for Flathead first, they are the easiest to find, walk the shore line around the southern side of Windang bridge, you will find plenty of drop offs and structure to fish. Make sure your lure is on the bottom, use the rod to "hop" the lure along the bottom. Don't expect a fish every cast, be patient and "work" an area before moving on, be mobile, a small landing net can be a bonus (but not essential) extra lures in a small container in your pocket is all you need, don't fish heavy line, go out and have fun.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, good advice there....you learn that real quick! Just to give you a start, try the island on the south west side, walk over the little wooden bridge and cast the entire shoreline, back to where you started, during the warmer months you will get quite a few. Then go to the south east side, start at the road bridge and work your way towards the entrance, you can spend all day doing that side, I find it best on a run out tide, but it's not critical.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, noelm said:

Yep, good advice there....you learn that real quick! Just to give you a start, try the island on the south west side, walk over the little wooden bridge and cast the entire shoreline, back to where you started, during the warmer months you will get quite a few. Then go to the south east side, start at the road bridge and work your way towards the entrance, you can spend all day doing that side, I find it best on a run out tide, but it's not critical.

Thanks everyone for the solid advice - and yeah, I've been watching alot of fishing youtube videos around the area, and then using google maps satellite to try and pinpoint where they were fishing and funny enough it matches to what youre saying .

Thanks for the tip with not mixing plastics - I've gone now and just separated them hah

I tried zman grubs when I was last there in a few different spots but was getting seaweed every time but thats probably some mistake of mine

does the gold wolf colour on lures actually work ?

Edited by Denisfisho