Mission failed Lake Illawarra

Denisfisho

Spot-lake Illawarra

Time- early morning to afternoon

Went out for the first time to tick off my goal of catching my first ever fish with lures.

Tried soft plastics (the usual zman recommendations), atomic hard cranks mid and deep a few different colours, plastic prawn thing with weedless hook, even the daiwa double clutch 60mm.

Used a shop water proof shoes so I could walk around the beach spot which were upon recommendations and research.

Wind was terrible and don't think I had a single bite the whole day, should have went on Sunday when winds are better but I was itching for Saturday.

Then went to windang beach with metal lures and did score a bite but winds were bad .

Lesson learnt - check the winds before going.

Not many fisherman around and don't think the bite was that good for anyone at the moment.

Until next week (if the weather allows)

But as always getting out there and enjoying the sun and chatting to people here and there was nice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dirvin21 said:

For forcast try deckee app (I suffered the same Saturday winds)

I've caught some of my best fish in the crappiest weather 

Keep at the lure casting once you land your first you'll never look back

Its probably going to feel like I struck gold once I get my first fish.

Im just taking my first outings as a learning and scouting exercise and have been enjoying it anyway. Trying to get a feel for if I enjoy beach or lake fishing more. I think beach

• Like 1

Hi,

I don’t know Illawarra but where I fish, Tuggerah Lake, I have a set of spots to go to where I can fish with the wind at my back regardless of its direction. Have a look at a map of the Lake and work out a range of locations you could try in different wind directions that give access to fishing flats and channels with the wind more or less at your back when you cast.

Good luck.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yep, especially Flathead, keep at it, not too sure where you fished from your description. Don't be too particular with a million different lures, Flathead are not fussy eaters, action and location will catch them.

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

No such thing as a mission failed, just another lesson learnt.

I don't know the lake too well, but imagine as the weather warms up over the next month, the warmer water will get the fish biting and you'll start seeing results.

Keep at it.

I expect it will get really busy down here once the fish are on, which is why I'm enjoying scouting out places etc.

Im not really sure on space etiquette either. If someone is fishing a good spot can I go next to him and fish if there's no where else working out and it's a known good location ?

I always keep what I think is a respectable distances from fishos but places like wollongong harbour and Port Kembla are too full to get your own space.

2 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

Hi,

I don’t know Illawarra but where I fish, Tuggerah Lake, I have a set of spots to go to where I can fish with the wind at my back regardless of its direction. Have a look at a map of the Lake and work out a range of locations you could try in different wind directions that give access to fishing flats and channels with the wind more or less at your back when you cast.

Good luck.

KB

I'll be fishing there too early November. I think Lake Macquarie has no commercial fishery which helps with fish numbers I wonder if tuggerah is the same.

51 minutes ago, noelm said:

Yep, especially Flathead, keep at it, not too sure where you fished from your description. Don't be too particular with a million different lures, Flathead are not fussy eaters, action and location will catch them.

I haven't had a bite in so long that I don't have any confidence in any particle lure so I keep swapping around 

@Denisfisho

Make sure you clean your lures and dry the hooks so they don't rust.

If you use scent on the lures, clean the lures with a toothbrush in warm water and let them dry.

Put them in a snaplock bag.

If you have Berkley plastics, you can buy Berkley Gulp to preserve them.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Denisfisho said:

Im not really sure on space etiquette either. If someone is fishing a good spot can I go next to him and fish if there's no where else working out and it's a known good location ?

I always keep what I think is a respectable distances from fishos but places like wollongong harbour and Port Kembla are too full to get your own space.

I try to keep a respectable distance between myself and other fishers. 20 metres at least, if you can manage that. I guess it comes down to the spot you're fishing and how crowded it is.

I do a lot of lure fishing off the beach, walking along and having a few casts in every gutter or hole I come across. If there's a guy fishing bait in a particularly good looking spot, I'll approach him and ask does he mind if I have a couple of casts and keep my distance away from his line. I've never been knocked back yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I am planning a trip out fishing I always check on Windfinder to understand what the wind is doing. This url will take you to the area for Lake Illawara.
https://www.windfinder.com/#12/-34.5303/150.8776

From there you can select a specific weather station and get a multi day forecast like this one https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/oak_flats_illawarra

• Thanks 1

I fish the lake quite a bit during summer, Flathead are quite plentiful then, lures, I find smaller dull brownish to be best, if I'm land based (usually have a grandkid or two in tow) I just circle that island on the SW side, always get a couple, then go under the bridge past the Kiosk (good spot to pump Nippers) and start casting from there right to the entrance and always get a few, plus the odd bonus Whiting.

• Like 1