Garmin Echomap 75SV shutting itself off.

Sea Ranger

Hello All,

I was getting the boat ready to get wet this week and testing my fishfinder to ensure it came on.  It did but then shut off after aboout 20 seconds or so.  Now I get the Garmin screen , loading maps and it goes into basic setup.  Which country, language, units etc.  Somewhere along those steps as it changes everytime I try, it just freezes and the unit turns itself off.  The manual states to reset it go into settings, however I can't get that far to do a reset.  I can't find a hard reset on the internet either.  Has anyone had similar issue and have any idea of what I can try.  

Thank you

Bear

2 hours ago, Smobaby said:

Check power connection for corrosion and full voltage with volt meter try removing sd card. Then try software upgrade.

I removed it from the dash and checked all connections.  12.8 volts at the plug.  No corrosion evident.  I put it back together and no change :(

Ok update.  I called Garmin Australia today and explained the issue.  They started a ticket for me and requested a few photos and video of the unit and receipt.  Very helpful on the phone. I have my fingers crossed that they can help me out.  

• Like 1

I would check the wiring ( especially any joins or connectors ) very carefully, you can have a bad connection and still get full voltage when there is no current draw on the circuit . Wiring can be corroded back up inside the insulation and this can cause its resistance to rise , when you put a load on that wire the resistance causes a voltage drop and this could be causing the unit to sense low battery voltage and shut down . In line fuse connections are another area that needs close attention , I have seen fuses ( glass type ) that look fine and test ok  but when I took it out of the holder it disintegrated .

If in doubt hook the unit up to a battery with a different cable and see if it still does it . You would have to locate the connection in the wiring where the power cable for the unit connects to the cable running to the battery and splice into this .

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for everyone.  I contacted Garmin and they wanted to look at the unit after seeing video of what it was doing and pictures of all my connections.  Garmin decided to replace the unit with a refurbished unit of the same model for free.  I was extremely appreciative.  I really can’t say enough of how well I was treated.  Garmin , Thank You!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sea Ranger said:

Just an update for everyone.  I contacted Garmin and they wanted to look at the unit after seeing video of what it was doing and pictures of all my connections.  Garmin decided to replace the unit with a refurbished unit of the same model for free.  I was extremely appreciative.  I really can’t say enough of how well I was treated.  Garmin , Thank You!

Great outcome. Did you mention you were a member of fishraider by any chance?