Keeping motor from leaning to the side while trailering

Remote River Man

I have a 60HP Yammy on the back of my new Polycraft 4.5, and while trailering the boat I use a Poly chock to support the hydraulic rams as I cruise down the highway. I've noticed that sometimes, although I've trimmed the motor up into a perfectly upright, raised position after retrieval, by the time I get home a half hour or so later, the motor has shifted off to the side a bit.

Wondering if this is a problem at all (does this off-to-the-side movement hurt the motor), and if so, what's a simple solution? I've read that some people simply attach a bungee cord from the bottom of their boat steering wheel to the pedestal base of their seat, which stops any sideways motor motion while on the road. Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Remote River Man said:

I have a 60HP Yammy on the back of my new Polycraft 4.5, and while trailering the boat I use a Poly chock to support the hydraulic rams as I cruise down the highway. I've noticed that sometimes, although I've trimmed the motor up into a perfectly upright, raised position after retrieval, by the time I get home a half hour or so later, the motor has shifted off to the side a bit.

Wondering if this is a problem at all (does this off-to-the-side movement hurt the motor), and if so, what's a simple solution? I've read that some people simply attach a bungee cord from the bottom of their boat steering wheel to the pedestal base of their seat, which stops any sideways motor motion while on the road. Thoughts?

Not sure what type of steering you have, I keep mine turned full lock to right or left and keep it that way with a section of plastic channel slipped over the hydraulic steering shaft.

image.png.602ff435aa76547fb606aa7066f3125d.png

Similarly, regarding tilt, I slip two sections of poly channel over the ram shaft....

image.png.e57b63ccd5959f947bcfaf1f3c1a267d.png

4 hours ago, slowjigger said:

I have an outboard support bar that links the motor to the trailer. The motor always sits upright and it reduces strain on the transom. I thought Polycraft mandates or at least recommends them.

If you use an outboard support bar that links to the trailer, make sure it is one that has a spring dampener in it, otherwise you are passing all trailer shocks or vibrations straight to your motor mounts and transom.

As Noel mentioned, the forces your transom experiences with the motor underway on the water are far greater than any forces the transom is submitted to on the road....unless of course you are travelling offroad for significant distances.

Cheers Zoran

Looking good, Donna. Yeah, my Polycraft 4.5 Frontrunner combined with a Yamaha 60HP high-thrust is the perfect boat for me - good for crabbing, prawning, impoundment fishing, mangrove creek fishing and occasional offshore action when the fickle Bundaberg wind and weather cooperates. Lovin' it so far...

• Like 1