Constant weed on sp retrievals - swapping to weedless hooks

Denisfisho

I've just recently gotten into fishing with lures and I've been finding that I'm constantly hooking up to weed and this has been in a few different lakes.

Is this just a part of lure fishing? 

I also want to ask has anyone who's swapped to weedless hooks - do you get less hookups of the fish when they strike due to the shape of the hook or is that a non-issue, I tried to google that but couldn't find much.

Edited by Denisfisho
typos

It's all part of the lure game challenge mate. Sometimes you can move to somewhere better, sometimes a more aggressive action will keep it away from the bottom and the weed beds, sometimes there is just so much weed floating around that fishing lures is near impossible.

You can persist and still catch fish but its harder. You can usually feel when you've hooked some weed, just quickly wind in and try again.

• Thanks 1

Hooking weed is just part of the challenge.

I use weedless hooks in certain scenarios, mostly chasing murray cod in rivers where you need to pull the plastic through loads of weed and fishing up north for jacks and barra fishing right in heavy timber.

With hard implosion feeders like cod and barra and destruction eaters like jacks the hookuo rate is ok, a lot of other fish don't expose the hook as well

• Thanks 1

Im starting to use weedless more and more. Mainly for mangrove roots as I fish for Flathead in the shallows a lot. 

There is a lot on You tube regarding weedless rigging, Zman go into it in depth.

The softer the plastic the better. Not sure about hook up rates, I was wondering about that also, So far so good !

What fish are you chasing ?

Howard.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bluefin said:

Im starting to use weedless more and more. Mainly for mangrove roots as I fish for Flathead in the shallows a lot. 

There is a lot on You tube regarding weedless rigging, Zman go into it in depth.

The softer the plastic the better. Not sure about hook up rates, I was wondering about that also, So far so good !

What fish are you chasing ?

Howard.

I'll be going out with zman 2.5inch grubs hoping for flathead but maybe bream too.

I have watched those zman videos in depth theyre great info.

Im tossing up between using 2.5inch or 3.5 inch grubz what would you go with for flathead, size doesnt matter for now I just want to catch and release

1 hour ago, Denisfisho said:

I'll be going out with zman 2.5inch grubs hoping for flathead but maybe bream too.

I have watched those zman videos in depth theyre great info.

Im tossing up between using 2.5inch or 3.5 inch grubz what would you go with for flathead, size doesnt matter for now I just want to catch and release

The 2.5inch grubs work well for smaller flathead , I prefer the slim swimz for chasing flathead, they'll both catch bream as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluefin said:

I have been catching a few larger models lately on 3 ". and 40 m/m HB lures,  The thought came to me that big fish like Jellybeans Too !!

Howard.

Yeah, I was curious what would entice a bite more , a small lure that looks like an easy meal or a lure that's bigger and therefore probably easier for fish to see. Too bad fish don't talk hah