Feeding fish to your dog

SquibblyDibbly

Hey raiders,

I remember as a young boy seeing my great-grandfather feed his dog fish frames. The dog would devour bream and whiting frames (guts removed) and loved them. One time he had a rock cod die on the hook so he gutted it and Barry ate the entire fish. Apparently pop had been doing this his whole life with every dog he ever had.

I always assumed this was a terrible idea and the bones could potentially get stuck in the dogs throat but it never did Barry any harm.

Does anyone out there know if feeding fish to dogs is dangerous?

SD

• Like 1

Ive heard the have similar nutrition needs as us and will eat anything you can.   I think problems could arise if your dog is a gulper and doesn't chew his food?  If you do try Id start with softer frames like whiting and keep clear of long strong rib bones as I imagine they would be more likely to get stuck.  Ron 

a trip to the vet is very expensive  ,  i would not  give it any thing with spikes but thats me , as for animal bones   give raw  not cooked  beef bones , but  they say dont give them chicken bones  because they splinter , just in case you did not know about them also 

I breed (and compete in NSRT gun dog trials) with Labradors. My dogs are valuable members of the family and I wouldn’t compromise their health. They all love when I return home from a fishing trip to give them the frames, skin, prawn, yakkas and especially pilchard “leftovers” my prize bitch “Rosie” especially loves kingfish heads and will munch through them all day.

Never had a problem. Mind you a Lab is a garbage can on legs and will eat just about anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 3:52 PM, wizza said:

Pickles,I heard of a Labrador that pinched a kilo block of cheese from the shopping and scoffed it,no problem.

One of my mates Lab came home with a leg of lamb one Sunday (lunchtime). They lived in Mudgee and closest farm was 15kms away. I well believe a lKGB, block of cheese was an entree.

• Like 1