George's river 20/10/21

Restyle

Went out last night for Jews on my hobie at the spot I have been catching them at recently to try my luck again. 

Got in the water 8:45pm and made it to the spot and dropped anchor 9:00 to fish the 10:15pm high tide. First rod whole squid with a small sinker. Open the bail every 5 minutes to let the squid drift up/down river. Second rod had a decent lead. 1m leader and fresh mullet strips I would also open the bail arm to let the bait flow with the tide, the sinker would stay in position keeping the line well clear of my other rod. Water temp is 20c.

Within 15 odd minutes the rod with the squid buckles over to a solid ~70-80cm Jew but sadly popped off boat side - I think I rushed the fish in instead of letting it tire itself out 

It wasn't until 11:20pm I catch and land a 67cm jew on the rod with a light sinker

kjhg.png.13bba15d70cfa95da2833e91a0b693f8.png

final Jew was at 12:10am which was a 57cm jew on the other rod which now had a squid on it.

ghj.png.eda082d2036dce16593c49f2a3bbe41a.png

Also caught what I'm guessing is a pike eel, cut the hook close, wasn't getting my fingers near those teeth.
Headed in by 12:30, tide was screaming and my anchor was no longer holding me.

Everything released. I release my Jews the the mirage drive hole (if they fit) and hold their tail till they kick off. a lot easier then placing a 3kg fish over the side and possibly dropping it. If anyone fishes jews of kayak, its quite a good way of releasing them.

kjk.png.ae8ec2958070f96f549cbbae65c1a4cd.png

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Nice catches, I just do catch and release and catch pretty small fish.But what’s the legal size for Jews? and is it like flattys like how if it’s a larger female you don’t eat it so it can repopulate and everything.If that makes any sense at all.

Legal size for jewfish is currently 70cm 
Smaller jews (under 90cm) have a very mushy flesh when cooked so keeping the larger fish is preferd among most people 

Jewfish are also fairly fast growing fish and I believe they also reach sexual maturity early 

31 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Fair enough, i mean it’s up to the person catching the fish what they take if it’s within bag limit and size.Just learning about fishing and everything, jewfish seem pretty elusive though.

A lot of people target them because of that, puts quite abit of pressure on them, I should mention the 67cm model had a pretty fresh 2/0 hook in his lip with 20cm of line and a giant swivel hanging out of its mouth - his knot seems to have failed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just because I'm a bit interested in the science . . . 

from the DPI pdf's on Mulloway . . . 

"Average size and age at which mulloway attain sexual maturity in NSW is estimated at 51 cm and
at 2+ years for males (Fig 42a) and 68 cm at 3+ years for females (Fig 42b).

In South and Western Australia, mulloway do not become sexually mature until they are approximately 70 - 80
cm (approx. 4 kg) and 5 to 6 years old.

This (again) contrasts with male and female mulloway in South Africa reported as maturing at average lengths and ages of 92 and 107 cm and at 5+ and 7+ years, respectively."

Good effort Restyle!

Cheers, stu

• Like 2

I'm not 'that' sure about how bag limits are fully determined other than to sustain a viable population, but minimum size is definitely set to allow 50% of the population to have bred at least once.

Don't actually recall where I read that, however is probably also on DPI website somewhere.

cheers, stu.

22 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Wow that’s interesting, and with bag limits and legal sizes are they dependent on how fast fish grow and how populated the environment is.Haven’t really looked into it much but it’s pretty interesting.

Pdf if here if you'd like to read https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/375919/Mulloway.pdf

17 minutes ago, maccapacca said:

Weird question, been catching tons of undersized bream and obviously chucking them back, but obviously as they take a while to grow.Will like say in ten years around the same system have more larger fish if that makes any sense.And if minimum size was out up a bunch would their be a lot more fish in all the systems?

Struggle to make sense of what you have said, but bream reach maturity at 22cm or around 5 yrs and the legal limit is 25cm. I don't personally eat bream mostly because of how slow they grow.

16 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Great effort, I plan on doing some night sessions this spring/summer on the Georges & would be stoked to get something close to those.

What are you running?

20lb braid & 20-30lb fluro?

20lb braid and mono for both reels 

Couple of nice fish, even though under the limit.

Have eaten jewies at different sizes (including when the legal limit was 45cm)

The "soapy" ones as they are called (with the soft flesh) would be at the small size. Have eaten them around the 60cm mark, and the flesh was quite firm, only appearing soft around the 50 to 55 mark.

The jewies at the current legal size appear fairly firm flesh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Couple of nice fish, even though under the limit.

Have eaten jewies at different sizes (including when the legal limit was 45cm)

The "soapy" ones as they are called (with the soft flesh) would be at the small size. Have eaten them around the 60cm mark, and the flesh was quite firm, only appearing soft around the 50 to 55 mark.

The jewies at the current legal size appear fairly firm flesh.

Interesting, I had a fish that was 79cm, very mushy. Wonder if that has to do with the environment it lived it as it was iced down upon being dispatched  

3 minutes ago, Restyle said:

Interesting, I had a fish that was 79cm, very mushy. Wonder if that has to do with the environment it lived it as it was iced down upon being dispatched  

Occasionally a jewie I catch in the Hacking has a small patch of white worms in the flesh. I just cut them out, but have never noticed any softness in the flesh from the legal ones by today's size limit.

Maybe you just caught a dud one.

• Like 1