Port Stephens- Proud Dad moment (BIG SNAPPER)

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Well, all I can say is what a day!!!! 

Wasn’t sure wether to head out today considering that it was a full moon and predicted rain and winds. But my gut feeling was that is was going to be a good day and boy was I right. 
Headed out about 515 with my second eldest and my youngest who has never been to Broughton. We had a quick look for bait but there wasn’t much showing so we pushed on. 
Arrived to the first spot and it was pretty lumpy and I was concerned that the swell might put the young fella off but literally first cast I hook up to a good fish and into the net she goes. The biggest live snapper he’s ever seen, but little did he know he was in for a special day.  The boat was rocking hard but we decided to finish the drift. A couple more casts then I hear the sound every fisherman wants to hear! Zzzzzzzzzzz. The youngest was on to a cracker. As me and Brandon had only just cast, we told him to hang on to the rod that was buckled over but by time we got there to help,  the hook wasn’t set and the fish dropped the lure! Damn 🥲

Anyway, we push on and change areas. Brandon and I lose two more fish and then Brando nails two on subsequent drifts. I change the young fella Cruz lure to a micro jig and he had fun playing with a few reef species. 
A whale then travelled though our drift and the fish just disappeared. So we move on and try a few different areas without luck.

Move to another favourite area and I started to see the signs I was looking for and we had a few enquiries but with no hook up. I change Cruz’s micro jig back to a lure and told him to cast and feed the lure out. Almost immediately he says “dad, it’s going very fast”. I tell him to flip the bail arm over and bang he was on! What ensued was a battle that made it a very proud dad moment. The little fella never gave up and with a bit of help from his older brother, on board comes a monster snapper! Plenty of smiles, laughs and hi 5’s and moment we’ll never forget. After this, the trip just couldn’t get any better so we called it a day and headed home before 9am. 
Just a magic day to share with my boys! 
If you’d like to see the footage just check out Instagram @team_scratchie

Thanks for reading,

cheers scratchie!!!  

AB436E0A-CDDC-4641-9502-CDCD5DE56C89.thumb.jpeg.3ca2b8a61bc16656ca5bca924a721480.jpeg

350CAAC0-A7A5-434D-A4B7-1453FE8C946A.thumb.jpeg.09280648361ca012b16de021159de8f1.jpeg

4A548220-FADE-48F9-8C0B-8D6B53E35748.thumb.jpeg.a2aac36544e7a835976ac43a00f7710b.jpeg

7A022746-89D8-43F1-90A4-E43C109BC10F.thumb.jpeg.00c946e532d9528549f640edfc63f753.jpeg

• Like 29

• Scratchie changed the title to Port Stephens- Proud Dad moment (BIG SNAPPER)

Think I've said it before, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree 🙂

I dont think there are many moments that can top these family bonding experiences & the age we live in means long into the future the memories can be relived on & looked back upon.

Its great to be able to teach & catch fish together but I think its the time just spent with dad, kids & siblings that is the bigger bonus!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Think I've said it before, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree 🙂

I dont think there are many moments that can top these family bonding experiences & the age we live in means long into the future the memories can be relived on & looked back upon.

Its great to be able to teach & catch fish together but I think its the time just spent with dad, kids & siblings that is the bigger bonus!

💯 spot on Adrian! The experience we had on this trip will be repeated plenty of times! 
thanks mate 🙏

54 minutes ago, Aerialangler said:

Wow!- what a great time with your boys!! 
Awesome time and good fishing 
“Teach a kid to fish…..” 

congratz mate 

Thanks Kent!!! It was a great day! 

3 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Nice bag of reds again Scratchie.

You never mentioned the size of the BIG SNAPPER. Did it beat your record, or was it a close call? A great sized fish for a young bloke to haul up.

Hahahaha Yowie! It was a cracker at 78cm and about 4.5-5kg. You gotta earn the right to win in my family lol 😝 But I must admit, I’m pretty envious that it’s his first fish on plastics. Absolute thumper! 

• Like 1

Brilliant Jeff - proud dad indeed - nothing beats spending time with the boys, (or the girls) as either a dad or grandad. These times they’ll remember long after you’ve departed- still remember snapper fishing with my dad and pulling a fish 1/2 my size as an 8 year old. The “legend” passing on his secrets.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Brilliant Jeff - proud dad indeed - nothing beats spending time with the boys, (or the girls) as either a dad or grandad. These times they’ll remember long after you’ve departed- still remember snapper fishing with my dad and pulling a fish 1/2 my size as an 8 year old. The “legend” passing on his secrets.

Couldn’t agree more Bob! I spend nearly all my time teaching the kids either school work, sport and recreational activities. Obviously fishing is something I teach them but not force them. Today just sparked that fire in the young fella and that’s the memory that will stick with me! 

That's awesome!!! watching your kids catch fish like that, all the knowledge you've given them over the years, I can feel how proud you are & I don't even have kids yet
Memories like this will be passed down to his own kids

• Thanks 1

Top stuff Scratchie and Co. No better feeling than the pure joy of sharing your experiences with your kids/grandkids. It'e even better than catching them yourself. Fantastic report and pictures, fabulous family. Ain't that just what life's all about.

bn

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

What a great session & report there with the boys scratchie, love the photo with little junior standing amongst the big boys with a big smile & the monster snapper. Definitely a magic day for all 👍👍

Cheers Dieter! Absolute cracking day that we won’t forget!