Hawkesbury Jew

yo_jono

Afternoon Ladies/Gents.

Put the boat in last Monday morning at Berowra, at sparrows fart with a plan, Get bait and send it out the river for a Session.

All went to plan, Put in at 0530 and motored to my bait spot and filled the tank with live herring for the next 24 hours.

I have only recently updated my outboard from a 40HP merc 2 stroke to an F70 4 stroke Yammy (both Tiller steers) Boat is an absolute beast now - With half the fuel usage!

Motored about 50k's from where I launched and anchored up on a spot for the top of the tide and start of the runout. I was fishing with fresh prawns and nothing but soapie, after soapie, after soapie.. And a little flattie around 35CM, would of caught about 20 in the 40-50 CM range before I pulled the prawn rods in and just ran livies.

Motored to a spot not far away for the bottom of the tide, 2 hours before the bottom - as the water started slowing,  I started berleying hard with my home made secret mix!

About 30 Minutes before the bottom Rod buckled, Livie gone straight into the mouth of a 94CM Jew.

I moved to another spot for the run in tide, 20 minutes after I set my baits I had a run, grabbed the rod and before I could strike the bait was spat - Herring come up with a nice set of teeth marks - Second hook would of prevented this.

Rest of that tide was quite uneventful, Was now approaching sundown so I motored back to where I got the Jew as I am happier anchoring there for the night.

Anchored up, Baits down, Swag unrolled and of to sleep I went.

Woke up to a screamer around 0230, took me straight into the structure I didn't want it to and POP! That one was gone. I went back to sleep, woke up in the swag around 0630 to another rod losing line rapidly - Got it to the boat and it was a 3ft bullshark! So, Lines and done for me.

I motored back to the beach and set myself up there to cook breakfast and have a coffee before I ventured back to the ramp and went home.

Cheers

Jono

P.s Apologies for the crappy photos - I am only just trying to tell myself to remember to take them.

Finally invested in a Brag mate instead of the tape measure for the next trip.

20211022_142256.jpg

20211019_073244.jpg

20211018_115821.jpg

• Like 16

27 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Quite a long session yo-jono with plenty of fish to keep you occupied. Unusual having a tiller steer 70HP motor, sounds like it goes like a beauty though. Great catch that big Jewie, well done. bn

Yeah mate! I try and make the most of a good tide for the spots I fish. I just roll the swag out on the deck and goto sleep. 

Perfect setup for me with the F70 tiller steer, the boat is a dream to use. (I do love my tillers though, makes it easier when crabbing) 

Cheers mate! 

28 minutes ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done on the Jewfish 

Cheers mate. 

Great report Jono. That is a really nice Jewie and perfect eating size. Well done mate.

I know the feeling of getting those soapie (a mate and I boated & released 32 in an hour recently - all on prawns).  I always struggle to let the subsequent legal Jewies go after having one in the Esky.

Herring are a great Jewieq bait, but I’ve had a lot more success on the saltwater once’s around Berrowra and Spencer (when the water warms to over 20degrees), than the smaller freshwater ones up around d Wisemans at this time of year - I’d be interested in your opinion on this?

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

Great report Jono. That is a really nice Jewie and perfect eating size. Well done mate.

I know the feeling of getting those soapie (a mate and I boated & released 32 in an hour recently - all on prawns).  I always struggle to let the subsequent legal Jewies go after having one in the Esky.

Herring are a great Jewieq bait, but I’ve had a lot more success on the saltwater once’s around Berrowra and Spencer (when the water warms to over 20degrees), than the smaller freshwater ones up around d Wisemans at this time of year - I’d be interested in your opinion on this?

Thanks Bob! 

Definately fed myself and the family for a meal or 2, was beautiful! 

It is a struggle letting the legal ones go after you already have one, I know that feeling.. the hardest thing is making the decision "do I keep this 80cm for a feed, or put it back and hope for a 95" 🤣 

Definately agree mate! I know people have been using the fresh water ones up the river as butterflied baits, I wouldn't waste my time. The saltwater ones you mentioned in Berowra and Spencer are what I use, and always will. (Hence why I use Berowra ramp, I have to go past the baitgrounds to get upto my fishing spots) 

During the drought - 2017 ish. Were using herring caught up around wisemans, and were extremely sucessful, but there was definately no fresh around then. 

I just put in, grab bait from either place and motor up into gods country when I'm fishing up there now.