Bungs

Rummers

Silly question, but when cleaning the boat this morning (after a session that only had 3 legal whiting :( ) I was looking at my bung hole and wondered…

why don’t boat manufacturers install a tap there instead of a screw in plug? 
That would save the leaving the bungs at home/ruining the gasket/usual bung issues.

Surely there is a logical explanation for this that I am missing. Haha.

Cheers - please don’t smash me too hard with his one 😂😂

Before my dad sold his boat, he installed a gate valve on the inside of the boat on 2/3 bung holes as they could be easily accessed from the inside as that was the low spots for the main deck, his reason for it despite being quite well known for leaving them in the car or in the cup holder on the boat was how frequently his bungs leaked. Not sure what exactly the boat is but its Haines hunter, around 1970ish, sold in 2011 after doing quite abit of work on it and just loosing motivation. 

Have you ever put a nylon tap on a jerry can & the grabbed a hold of it & pulled it up as hard as you can by hand??

9 times out of 10 it will just pop out of the threads.

Being in such a prominent spot on the hull/transom & extended it would only have to kiss something solid & then there's a 20mm opening at the back of your boat.

Even a pin %%%%% of a hole on the hull will let in a decent amount of water over time as its under pressure, being forced down onto the water.

Most bungs also have a retainer as well so cant be fully removed so no forgetting that at home.

My tinny just has a simple solid plastic bung which is inside from the inside & I always keep a spare on board.

On 10/22/2021 at 3:43 PM, zmk1962 said:

Taps are not maintenance free and can also fail. A bung is far cheaper and simpler to produce and maintain. In fact a bung is the most basic form of a tap. 
cheers Zoran 

Agree, I don't want a tap failing,, If a plastic bung fails worse case scenario I go for a swim and screw in a new one.  I wouldn't want to be changing a tap with seas.

I'm thinking of replacing my bungs with taps and filling my hull with Bourbon. So after coming back home with yet another donut and cleaning all the gear and boat I can lie under the hull face up,turn the tap,open my mouth and drown my sorrows.

Going to rip into it now.😉

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Knowing you Fab - “you’re gonna need a bigger boat”

cheers Zoran

With the amount of muscle (ahem) I've put on during Covid I think you may be right.Last time I went out I was about 110kg.I weighed myself the other day and sitting at a feather weight 124kg.🙄🙄

Thanks for the laugh fellahs 😂

was just one of those random thoughts. I have learnt from experience not to forget my Bungs.

3 types of boaters, ones who have put the boat in without the bungs, ones who will put the boat in without the bungs, and liars

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2021 at 3:14 PM, Rummers said:

Silly question, but when cleaning the boat this morning (after a session that only had 3 legal whiting :( ) I was looking at my bung hole and wondered… 

You lost me at “I was looking at my bung hole”… I just cracked up. I can’t even bend over that far! 😂

• Haha 2