10-15kg rod

blahblah

I have caught all of those as well as a 70kg stripey marlin on a 6ft 10-15kg Penn rod. The extra foot to 7ft would help with the casting. 
It would be a little too light if you were targeting larger tuna regularly in my opinion.  
The reel capability plays a big part. 
cheers Zoran 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, slothparade said:

I thought trolling with a spinning reel was a bad idea because you can bend the bail

Not sure why folks would say that. If the reel has 10kg drag then the bail arm is built to stand that. But more importantly the trolling drag would be set around 2kg or less - to set the hook but not rip it out. 2kg should have no effect on the bail arm. 
As I said above “the reel capability plays a big part”. Some of the larger spinning reels now have 27kg drag and line capacity to match - that’s massive. 

Having said that if I’m trolling for heavier fish I do use my overheads reels. 

cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

People troll with spinning gear for fish such as Marlin etc alot these day.

If I am limited to the number of rods I can take on a trip then I will even use my Daiwa monster mesh with a sealine bull 6000hi reel for trolling, then use the same rod to jig for kings.

Otherwise if able to I would take my Penn 10-15kg steeltip with my Penn GT330(USA made) at it has bigger line capacity.

6 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Not sure why folks would say that. If the reel has 10kg drag then the bail arm is built to stand that. But more importantly the trolling drag would be set around 2kg or less - to set the hook but not rip it out. 2kg should have no effect on the bail arm. 
As I said above “the reel capability plays a big part”. Some of the larger spinning reels now have 27kg drag and line capacity to match - that’s massive. 

Having said that if I’m trolling for heavier fish I do use my overheads reels. 

cheers Zoran 

ahh ok.

Ill see if i can find the video i heard that from. 

53 minutes ago, slothparade said:

ll see if i can find the video i heard that from. 

Watched most of it... didn't hear him say anything about bent bail arm ... heard a lot about loving both reels, he had both spooled with 50lb braid, and lot of comment about personal preference, with consideration that casting is easier with the eggbeater --  and he was expressing his opinion especially in relation to Yak fishing.

Cheers Z

17 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Watched most of it... didn't hear him say anything about bent bail arm ... heard a lot about loving both reels, he had both spooled with 50lb braid, and lot of comment about personal preference, with consideration that casting is easier with the eggbeater --  and he was expressing his opinion especially in relation to Yak fishing.

Cheers Z

sorry, must have been the wrong video. he made quite a few and one of them he said that he bent the bail on his spinfisher thats why he uses his overhead for trolling.