What size boat?

Salvatore

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies for the newbie question. I'm new to boating (will be getting my license next month) and am looking for some advice on my first boat.

Looking for a boat mostly for estuary and bay fishing but might go futher afield in nice weather. Planning on fishing about half the time on my own and half the time with my wife and two kids (about 10 years old) and maybe on a very rare occassion with third adult in the boat with my family. I mostly fish for bread and butter species.

Was hoping to get something with a reasonably powered motor and a minn kota or similar for spot lock. Looking to spend somewhere around the 20-25k mark second hand.

Now finally for the question - I've been looking around and it seems a Quintrex Renegade in either 440 or 460 might fit the bill but wondering if I would get away with a 420?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Cheers,

Salvatore

The 420 is a small boat compared to the 460, way smaller....it mightn't seem like much but the difference is huge, the 420 will be "adequate" with 2 adults and one child, but it will be very "cosy" with an extra adult. Don't be blinded by the name, Stacer and Savage come out of the same factory and are often much cheaper. A 420 in any kind if chop is going to be slow going and bumpy, and only a very good day to take one in the ocean, it's a small boat! Go to a dealer and compare them all, most will have all models in stock.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, noelm said:

The 420 is a small boat compared to the 460, way smaller....it mightn't seem like much but the difference is huge, the 420 will be "adequate" with 2 adults and one child, but it will be very "cosy" with an extra adult. Don't be blinded by the name, Stacer and Savage come out of the same factory and are often much cheaper. A 420 in any kind if chop is going to be slow going and bumpy, and only a very good day to take one in the ocean, it's a small boat! Go to a dealer and compare them all, most will have all models in stock.

Thanks Noelm. So are you saying that Stacer, Quintrex and Savage hulls are the same?

Sounds like I defintely need to go for a 440+. Thanks for the advice!!!

No not exactly the same, but very similar designs, quality is the same for all three, people will tell you the Quintrex rides the best, (usually Quintrex owners) but in reality, they are all pretty much the same, been in all three thousands of times.

• Like 1

I bought a new quinnie lazeabout in 1982 with a 60hp and fished a lot by myself.  A lot of estuary fishing with regular trips outside to the Peak 12mile etc with no issues if you were careful with the weather.  A truly great boat that gave me a lot of pleasure.   Five years ago I upgraded to a 2001 5.6metre Quinnie Classic with 90hp motor with  Millenium hull and the old saying that bigger is better rings true when it comes to ride and comfort.  I can definitely recomend the Millennium hulls and image the upgraded Blade hulls would be better still.  

I also recommend a good drive on trailer.  Im in my mid 70s and can handle a 5.6metre boat solo with no probs.  A well set up trailer is often overlooked when buying a boat but it can make the difference between a good and bad day.

Good luck with your search.  Ron 

• Like 1

Two years ago I upgraded to a Renegade 460 side console and couldn't be happier. Mostly I fish by myself and needed a boat that I could easily launch and retrieve by myself. I fish anywhere from water that is a couple of feet deep through to offshore without any drama's.

Family days are a couple of times a year. I find we have plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. The open layout of a side console gives you so much space for the size of the boat.

Prior to this we had a cuddy cabin and it just didn't suit for a family of 4 to spend the day out.

There is a huge difference between a 420 and 440 compared to a 460, look at them side by side if you can.

The best advice I can give is whatever you decide on make sure the motor is the largest the hull is rated for otherwise it may be an absolute dog when loaded up.

Edited by Renegade460
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Renegade460 said:

Two years ago I upgraded to a Renegade 460 side console and couldn't be happier. Mostly I fish by myself and needed a boat that I could easily launch and retrieve by myself. I fish anywhere from water that is a couple of feet deep through to offshore without any drama's.

Family days are a couple of times a year. I find we have plenty of room for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. The open layout of a side console gives you so much space for the size of the boat.

Prior to this we had a cuddy cabin and it just didn't suit for a family of 4 to spend the day out.

There is a huge difference between a 420 and 440 compared to a 460, look at them side by side if you can.

The best advice I can give is whatever you decide on make sure the motor is the largest the hull is rated for otherwise it may be an absolute dog when loaded up.

.yep, it's a big size difference in even the 420 to the 440, it mightn't seem like much, but the boat is longer, wider and higher, then to the 460 it's the same again, way bigger than just the extra length indicates.

• Like 1

Yes, an EFI 4 stroke is well worth it over a 2 stroke, no two ways about it (sure to start a brand war....) most name brands are good, Yamaha, Honda, Mercury and Suzuki are all good motors, if buying new, Honda has a 7 year warranty, don't be fooled by the old internet myth that Honda is too heavy and old technology.

• Like 1

I have a 420 run about and can tell you with 3 adults it's nice and cosy.

An open boat like a side console will have much more room than mine but will leave you and your kids exposed to the elements more.

As others have said the difference between dimensions on a 420,440,460 might not be much but it is quite alot when you compare them side by side.

I have the millennium hull on mine and I can tell you the 3 of us have never been wet in any chop or wind yet.Maybe if you get a strong crosswind I guess you would a bit.

I feed the fish in the waters you mention EXCEPT OFF SHORE and I wouldn't take any 420 boat from any make out there ever.But that's just me.

If you wanted to solely stay inshore fishing the waters you mention with the wife and a couple kids a 420 open boat or side console will do it easy.

Mines only a 30hp old tech 2 stroke and with us 3 fatties on board she will do 42kmh flat knackers and costs about a packet of fresh pasta to service and maintain.I've spent less than $100 on servicing the motor since I bought it new in 2011.

Plugs,impellor and gear oil.

I thought about putting a 40hp yam on her but the upfront cost and service costs leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Good luck with what ever you decide but do yourself a favour and really think realistically about where you're going to fish,with how many people and MOST IMPORTANTLY all the associated COSTS that come with boat ownership.

Plenty of boats,caravans etc are garden gnomes because people have been living in Disney land when they bought them.

Cheers 

• Like 1

Thanks Fab1 and noelm. It sounds to me like a 420 is a no go, even if I am only by myself if I want to do anything even remotely offshore, good to know!

I'll keep an eye out for 440s - seems like it is slim pickings even with my budget for anything recent. Maybe there is a lot of post pandemic boat buying happening in the moment. Wouldn't be surprised if at this time next year there are loads of boats for sale that have been "garden gnomes" :D!

I have a 499 Stacer (Really 5.1 Metres) centre console.   Ithink it would be squishy as with 3 adults and 2 kids.  That said my girl isn't built for family outings.  Tiller and side consoles give you more deckspace but when fishing alone I like the balanced feel of a centre console and I can walk all the way around for fishing.

Here is my review on my boat.  

Edited by Sea Ranger
speeliing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Ranger said:

I have a 499 Stacer (Really 5.1 Metres) centre console.   Ithink it would be squishy as with 3 adults and 2 kids.  That said my girl isn't built for family outings.  Tiller and side consoles give you more deckspace but when fishing alone I like the balanced feel of a centre console and I can walk all the way around for fishing.

Here is my review on my boat.  

Your boat is a pearler mate.I agree that the centre console is the best for fishing.Women think that a boat is 100 meters long mate.Well my mrs does as she thinks I should put a table and chairs on mine along with a toilet and shower.I'm sure she thinks our boat is the queen Mary and not just a little 420 tinny.😂😂😂

• Like 2

As a relative newcomer to boat ownership, here are my thoughts...

As boats get longer, they get higher and wider too (derr!), which is why, as others have said, what looks like a relatively small incerase in size, actually gets a substantially larger boat.

I wasn't sure if boating was going to stick with me, so around this time lat year, I bought a small  (3.75m) tinny figuring that I would get most of my money back when it came to time to sell (to get out of boating or to upgrade).  And while I got my purchase price back, I didn't get back the money I spent on improving the boat.  I had added a bimini, a cover and had spent time and money on replacing the water pump and re-sealing the lower unit of the outboard.   If you decide to enter boat ownership this way, get a newer/more recently serviced outboard than I did!

Towards the end of last summer I upgraded to a 4.9m fibreglass cuddy cab, which has room for SWMBO to escape the sun if she chooses.  It's big enough to have four people comfortably on board.  The 60 hp donk is adequate.  More hp might have been nice, but I enjoy trolling so it's not really a bid deal.

The bigger boat is still small enough that I can launch and retrieve single handed with ease.  If anything it's easier than the little tinny.  Go figure!

Your budget will give you a great choice of boats, and I would definitely go larger rather than smaller.  

As with buying anything from a private seller, buy the seller as much as you buy the boat.

• Like 1

I’d give some thought about the future.

Do you intend keeping for some time or upgrading to bigger

1.  Two adults and one child will soon become three adults, and if that additional adult comes along that will be four adults. 

If you intend keeping for some time, I’d be looking at getting something now that accommodates three adults comfortably and the fourth adult would not make it to crowded.

There are plenty of options out there for this scenario. Also consider a glass boat if you want the wife to be comfortable.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

Hope it all works out, you’ll love the boating experience 

• Like 1

Thanks shakey. It might be silly but I am hoping to buying once for at least 5-10 years and only change if my fishing preferences change.

Do you reckon a 440+ would do the trick with those circumstances? I'm pretty convinced now that a 420 is too small and a 460 would be ideal but there are slim pickings so I might have to take what I can get in either a Stacer Outlaw or Quintrex Renegade somewhere in the 440-460 size range.

Cheers.

There's quite a cost saving if you can get an outfit under 750kg and not need trailer breaks (which are constantly needing maintenance).

Im not a fan myself of quintrex having owned a few in the past, one being a total lemon from new and consumer rights being very lacking when it comes to boats. In saying that I loved a little 3.85 Quintrex explorer I once owned, that was powered by a Honda bf20. That little 3.85 was total usable fishing space and had no problem towing my three kids on a donut on the lake. I towed that boat to the NT and made a special floor that could be raised level with the seats so the kids could sleep in their dome tent up off the ground when camping along croc rivers.

The 3.85 was nice and light, so easy to walk it down the drive to hitch onto the tow bar. I used it out as far as Montague Island (12k offshore) but mostly within 4-6k chasing inshore fish from my local ramp. I also used it with three adults diving, which was getting a bit on the heavy side with 6 dive tanks and weight belts etc but still got on the plane. This was probably the most used boat I ever owned simply because it was so hassle free compared to bigger boats to use. I could put it on the lake by our house for mullet and garfish fishing or tow it from here on the south coast to the fish the Hawkesbury chasing jews at night. 

The quintrex trophy's are like a more flashy version of the explorer and came in bigger sizes but at the time out of my budget. The downside was the corrosion the aluminium seemed to have all over the boat, especially in those damp areas underfloor. 

Personally I prefer glass boats over aluminium and have recently dropped back to a 4.3m boat  and totally loving it after years of bigger boats. In saying that my 4.3 is a very capable well setup little boat that can fish estuaries to offshore game without much of an issue.

• Like 1

Thanks JonD.

What would the 750kg look like in terms of a Quintrex Renegade or Stacer Outlaw? I had a look at the specifications on the Quintrex site and it says the Renegade 420, 440 and 460 weigh 371kg, 381kg and 448kg respectively. I imagine you add to that the weight of the fuel and the trailer and still try and stay under 750kg?

If you had the exact same boat on a braked and unbraked trailer, is there any difference in the ease of towing it around?

I drive a large 4WD capable of towing 3.5T but I've never towed anything more than bicycles in my life so it is another thing making me anxious about boat ownership.

Cheers.

I’d look at a 490 if you’re potentially loading a couple of mates with ya. I saw a topender Quintrex 490 SC on Facebook marketplace (cairns) for 24k. 4 stroke are awesome, even if they have a fail, limp mode has always got me home. Good advice here also to get the biggest motor you can for the hull. the Quintrex millennium hills are bloody wicked too, dry riding and smooth in chop.

renegade is also a good option as stated 👍🏼

cheers!

• Like 1