What size boat?

Salvatore

On 10/25/2021 at 2:21 PM, Salvatore said:

Thanks JonD.

What would the 750kg look like in terms of a Quintrex Renegade or Stacer Outlaw? I had a look at the specifications on the Quintrex site and it says the Renegade 420, 440 and 460 weigh 371kg, 381kg and 448kg respectively. I imagine you add to that the weight of the fuel and the trailer and still try and stay under 750kg?

If you had the exact same boat on a braked and unbraked trailer, is there any difference in the ease of towing it around?

I drive a large 4WD capable of towing 3.5T but I've never towed anything more than bicycles in my life so it is another thing making me anxious about boat ownership.

Cheers.

The 475 quintrex centre console I had didn't need breaks, nether did my first formula 15 but the formula 15 I have now have has a braked trailer. Towing any of these small boats in a good 4x4 will barely be noticeable on the back, even the 543 signature I just sold would pull up hills at 100kh+ without barely noticing it was there unless I had to break hard for a roo or wombat.

We tow a comercial Edncraft from Batemans Bay to Eden with a 2.2lt VW Amarok which handles the rig extremely well even when loaded up with shellfish on the run home. The fact you can most likely load the back of your 4x4 with 1 ton and often handle better than no load at all, it's what they were designed to do. Have you ever reversed any kind of trailer ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JonD said:

The 475 quintrex centre console I had didn't need breaks, nether did my first formula 15 but the formula 15 I have now have has a braked trailer. Towing any of these small boats in a good 4x4 will barely be noticeable on the back, even the 543 signature I just sold would pull up hills at 100kh+ without barely noticing it was there unless I had to break hard for a roo or wombat.

We tow a comercial Edncraft from Batemans Bay to Eden with a 2.2lt VW Amarok which handles the rig extremely well even when loaded up with shellfish on the run home. The fact you can most likely load the back of your 4x4 with 1 ton and often handle better than no load at all, it's what they were designed to do. Have you ever reversed any kind of trailer ?

Awesome, thanks!

Nope, never reversed a trailer in my life! Another thing to learn I guess!

4 minutes ago, Salvatore said:

Awesome, thanks!

Nope, never reversed a trailer in my life! Another thing to learn I guess!

Practice practice practice,,, just not at the boat ramp.   Maybe rent a box trailer and practice backing up on your day off.  Industrial parks on Sundays are good places to get skilled up.  Make sure you take a spotter with you at first.  A spotter who either really knows how to give good advice or one that will at least tell you to stop before you hit someone. When you go with your new boat the first time it might benefit you to have a seasoned boater with you to help get on and off the trailer without ending up on YouTube.

Bear

• Like 2

There are plenty of how to reverse videos on YouTube that usually help. 

Reversing is funny enough easier the longer the boat trailer gets. The further the trailer wheels are from the tow vehicle the less effected by small movements in your steering wheel it will be. A small box trailer will have you constantly trying to keep the thing inline. Dual excel trailers are easier again as they track so well in a straight line reversing.

If you can find a large carpark or even a field that has no cars then practice over and over. My daughter towed her boat to the local boat ramp on a very windy day knowing no boats would be using it so she could practice parking both sides of the carpark and reversing down the ramp, now she does it better than I can☺️

Yep, a big long trailer is a breeze, a short box trailer is a nightmare......when  I teach a newbie I always get them to line up as straight as possible, then hold the bottom of the steering wheel, and use small corrections only, moving the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want the trailer to go, go slow and small movements.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2021 at 1:28 PM, Salvatore said:

Thanks shakey. It might be silly but I am hoping to buying once for at least 5-10 years and only change if my fishing preferences change.

Do you reckon a 440+ would do the trick with those circumstances? I'm pretty convinced now that a 420 is too small and a 460 would be ideal but there are slim pickings so I might have to take what I can get in either a Stacer Outlaw or Quintrex Renegade somewhere in the 440-460 size range.

Cheers.

Don't take what you can get, better off waiting for what you want otherwise it can be expensive white elephant.

On 10/25/2021 at 2:21 PM, Salvatore said:

Thanks JonD.

What would the 750kg look like in terms of a Quintrex Renegade or Stacer Outlaw? I had a look at the specifications on the Quintrex site and it says the Renegade 420, 440 and 460 weigh 371kg, 381kg and 448kg respectively. I imagine you add to that the weight of the fuel and the trailer and still try and stay under 750kg?

If you had the exact same boat on a braked and unbraked trailer, is there any difference in the ease of towing it around?

I drive a large 4WD capable of towing 3.5T but I've never towed anything more than bicycles in my life so it is another thing making me anxious about boat ownership.

Cheers.

Boat weight is boat only, no motor, gear etc.

Trouble is most magazines tend to side with manufacturers (they pay to advertise) and use the most very basic model with the smallest trailer and motor, and the minimum of gear, in "fishing form" a boat can weigh hundreds of kilos more.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the help guys - it influenced me very strongly. 

I ended up buying a Quintrex Renegade 460 with an offshore transom and a Yamaha 70 4 stroke and couldn’t be happier. Been out on two trips with it so far, once with two other adults and two kids and it felt cosy but not uncomfortable. I managed to launch and retrieve it by myself on the second outing… I have a drive in trailer but just retrieved it manually until I get more comfortable. 

Thanks again!

Edited by Salvatore
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, noelm said:

No Renegade/Outlaw 440 or bigger should ever be sold on a non braked trailer, any dealer that does needs a talking to!

I always look at boats on the road and at ramps and the mind boggles how some of the ones I see I know are overweight on unbranded trailers.My little 420 quinny weighs 550kg ready to fish with not much in it really.Doesnt take long to add 200kg when you go bigger boat,motor,trailer not to mention the crap most guys fit their boats out with.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Salvatore said:

Out of curiosity, do you guys always use the brakes on your trailers, or only on long distance/high speed roads? Do you deactivate them when reversing?

I use them whenever I’m moving my boat.  The only time I don’t is when backing down the ramp or up my driveway.

• Like 1

I use mine most times unless I’m using the boat daily and only going the 300mtrs to the ramp, otherwise I like to use them to make sure they don’t seize up.

also when I’m at home if I walk past the boat I give the hand brake a pull or two.

• Thanks 1